SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

how to test placeshifter while on home network for internet use?

Hey guys,

I was out of town this weekend and I tried to use placeshifter from my cottag over a dsl connection.. This was working back in Dec. its been a while

Anyway this weekend placeshifter would connect but when I went to play a lo-def show all I got was the circle of death.

Back home I am trying to test placeshifter on my LAN, I've put in the locator id but it keeps connecting through my LAN and not accross the net.

I am ruinning the latest sage server on my WHS box and downloaded the newest placeshifter.

Any ideas?

Cheers

2xhd300
Old 07-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Sage Expert

THis may not work, but it's worth a try; try connecting to the server at your public IP. TO find out your public IP, visit a site like http://ipchicken.com.

Some DSL providers recognize loopback traffic and shut it down, so it may not work at all.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Do you mean to plug the server in before my router? If so how would I have internet connection on my pc?

2xhd300
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Sage Icon

No - he is saying that if you click on the link he provided, it will show your actually IP address - something like 63.54.653.64. Use that address instead of the name of your computer or your DNS name.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 07-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Sage Expert

It could also be a bandwidth issue if you are able to connect and navigate the menus but drop out when you try to play a video. Easiest way to check is with something like http://www.speedtest.net The one you care about for streaming video out is your upsream. Low end DSL connections usually have pretty limited upstream bandwidth. If you are not getting the upstream you are paying for, you could be having computer, router, or DSL modem issues. At that point it would be time to start network troubleshooting.

Latency could also be a big factor in dropping Placeshifter connections. I had router flake out recently that would cause latency spikes of 1000-1500 ms and would cause Placeshifter to just shutdown. speedtest.net will tell you your latency too so I think that should be your next stop Run it from your Sage server and see what you get.