SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

Custom resolution problem

Hi,

When the HD200's first arrived I was unable to get mine to work with my Panasonic plasma via HDMI. I ended up having to use component.

Some time has passed and I decided to give HDMI another go. I did manage to get it to work using the "Force HDMI" setting in the extender's set up menu.

Next I tried setting up a custom resolution. My plasma is a 50" industrial display with a native resolution of 1366x768. I made the appropriate entry to the extender's props file (extender_resolution_extra_modes=1366x768p@60|standard=VESA_1366x768x60) and selected the new resolution in the detailed settings menu. As soon as I changed the resolution I got a black screen with a "No Signal" message from the monitor. In the forums I found some slightly different versions of the syntax for the properties setting, so I tried them all. No luck. I know the set will accept 1366x768 via the DVI terminal board. The manual for the board clearly states that it will, and I have done it via a pc client in the past.

Is it possible that the "Force HDMI" setting I used conflicts with the "standard=VESA" from the props file entry?

Any help is appreciated.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hello,

I just picked up HD200 running it through Integra 8.8 then into a Panny 85u series plasma. Hooking up HDMI also gave me no signal and after adjusting resolution and checking supporting formats got no signal also. I got mine to work by doing the following:

-Power down everything and hook up component and HDMI
-Power up select the input on your tv of whatever input your using for component.
-Navigate in sage extender UI to settings and check supported resolutions and change default ui to in your case 720p and use force HDMI.
-Power everything down and unplug the power adapter for sage HD200.
-I also double checked settings on server to make sure clients extender where getting high quaility and rebooted server.
-Plug adapter back in and you should have signal on your tv in hdmi input that your using (hdmi 2?) if you do you can power everything down and unhook component connections.

I'm thinking when you switch resolutions it doesn't resend the EDID info for the handshake to take place.

If your tv is off colorwise or stretch wise you may have to go into your tv and adjust the settings for whatever hdmi you are using as I don't think the settings transfer from say HDMI 1 input to HDMI 2 input at lease not on my panny. For them I use AVS Forums for callibration settings (each tv is different but should get you in the ballpark) HD size 2 format Full.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hello and thanks for your help.

The process you described is pretty similar to what I had to do to get HDMI working. 720p is working fine. I have not tried 1080i, but I will.

Quote:
I'm thinking when you switch resolutions it doesn't resend the EDID info for the handshake to take place.
I am wondering myself if this isn't the issue. Unfortunately, I know of no way to select the custom resolution as the default start up resolution. Whenever the extender re-starts I am back to whatever resolution I selected as default in the extender config menu, and the custom resolution does not appear as a choice. Anyone know a way to make a custom resolution the default?

BTW, I dragged the HD100 up from the basement tv and tried it as well. It worked with HDMI strait away, but the custom resolution resulted in a black screen just as with the HD200.

Thanks,
Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 12-02-2009, 02:47 AM
Sage User

I too have a similar issue. I am using a DVI computer monitor that gets angry if i do not use it's native resolution and has a big ugly NOT OPTIMUM MODE error over the screen.

I too have setup a custom resolution and also get a black screen when I try to enable it.

Sage refuses to help suggesting that changing resolutions is unsupported.

I am not exactly like I am trying to use an old TV or something. It is a current model display that is not brand new but still for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hello and thanks for your help.

The process you described is pretty similar to what I had to do to get HDMI working. 720p is working fine. I have not tried 1080i, but I will.

I am wondering myself if this isn't the issue. Unfortunately, I know of no way to select the custom resolution as the default start up resolution. Whenever the extender re-starts I am back to whatever resolution I selected as default in the extender config menu, and the custom resolution does not appear as a choice. Anyone know a way to make a custom resolution the default?

BTW, I dragged the HD100 up from the basement tv and tried it as well. It worked with HDMI strait away, but the custom resolution resulted in a black screen just as with the HD200.

Thanks,
Jesse
Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have the same problem. The only "custom" resolutions which work are the ones which exactly mirror the ones already present on the HD100's own setup menu.

I just assumed that this feature doesn't work with my setup (HD100 HDMI output connected to DVI input on a 1680x1050 LCD monitor), and because it isn't supported I didn't bother to report it. 720p works and doesn't look too bad.

It would be useful to hear from anybody with a working custom resolution because this would confirm that it does indeed work, even if only in certain circumstances.