SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to wvpolekat Send a message via MSN to wvpolekat
Should I Just Start Over?

Over the last couple of months, my almost 3 year old SageTV installation has started to behave progressively worse. Missed channel changes, random channel changes, MP3 tags and album covers are completely out of whack. It has gotten to the point that I am ready to just get a dish DVR. Nightly reboots haven't helped. My wiz.bin is around 30 megs.

But, I have a sizable investment in equipment and licenses that I don't want to just throw away. The hardware should be good enough, dual core 2.4 ghz P4, 2TB of storage, 4 GB of RAM, 3 capture cards, USB-UIRT.

I understand I will loose all my history, favorites, yadda. I am OK with that since as it is now, it's basically useless.

Anyone else gotten to the point that an older installation just started to flake out?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Sage Icon

It is certainly possible that your wiz.bin has gotten corrupted somehow and is causing problems. But it is also possible that your machine has simply gotten bogged down with the typical Windows stuff that causes problems.

How long has it been since you defragged your drives? How close is the C: drive and other drives getting to be full? Are you running some sort of virus and trojan detection software?

You could uninstall SageTV and then rename your SageTV program file folder to something else ('SageTV Old' for example). Then when you reinstall Sage, it will create a new SageTV folder and start over. If the problems go away, then you know you are OK. I'd still try and move the wiz.bin file back and see if that causes everything to get screwed up again. If it does, then you know you have to restart from scratch.

If it is still messed up on a clean SageTV installation (before moving the old wiz.bin file back), then it is probably a windows thing. I'd save the old SageTV folder and recordings and reinstall the OS. Then move the SageTV folder back and reinstall Sage.

PS - your 2.4ghz P4 is not a dual core. It has hyper-threading which tricks programs into thinking there are two cores, but there is only one physical 2.4ghz core that is available. A dual core machine physically has two cores both running at the listed speed. (I'm not suggesting that you replace it, but just making a clarifying statement).
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 11-09-2009 at 09:31 AM.