SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Sage User

Record same show on multiple tuners?

I am about to set up a HD-PVR tuner to record HD channels from my cable box. I have two HD Sage extender boxes (HD-100 and HD-200) in the house, but our bedroom TV uses a MediaMVP box. Since the MediaMVP box will have trouble playing back MPEG-4 TV recordings from the HD-PVR, I would like to set up my favorites to record the same show simultaneouslyon two different tuners. The HD version through the HD-PVR and the SD analog version through my WinTV HVR-1600 card.

I cannot figure out how to do this without setting up a manual recording. As a test, I tried to set up two favorites for the same show, one to only record on the ABC-HD channel and one to record only on ABC's analog SD channel. According to the recording scheduler, it is only going to record the highest priority favorite (which in this case is the ABC-HD Channel). I checked the detailed scheduler and see that I have a analog tuner free at that time that could be used to record the analog channel as well, but SageTV seems to only want to record one at a time.

How can I make SageTV honor my request to record the same show (same Show ID and all) simultaneously on two different tuners?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

I used to do it. Setup a favorite for each tuner but tell it to only record from a specific channel.

For example my ABC channel is 7 here for analog, and 7-1 for digital. Just have favorites that record only from each channel instead of from any channel.

There is also a favorite channels plugin that I used to use to create a channel list for the MVP that did not have HD channels in it. And then you can go the recordings page on the MVP, and set the filter to not show HD shows. Worked ok like that except for when the EPG listing didn't have a HD show marked as being HD.

My MVP's play stuff recorded in HD just fine though so I just quit worrying about it. I don't have an HD-PVR so I don't know how they would work with that.

I see you have tried most of this but even though Sage says it will only record one of the favorites I found that it did both anyway.

Last edited by SprDtyF350; 11-05-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Sage Expert

MVPs will play back any content. BUT, the server will have to transcode it for the MVP so each MVP puts a processing burden on the server.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Sage User

Yeah, I have a dual core system that stuggles to transcode MP4 video to the media MVP. I tried setting up two favorites, one for each channel, but it didn't work. I just heard back from support and they said setting up two favorites to record the same show on different channels will not work. They recommended setting up manual recordings.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Sage Expert

I'll guess you setup two 'show' Favorites. Try one 'show' favorite and one other type, 'actor', 'keyword,' etc.