SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Sage User

Show overlaps and multiple tuners

I'm currently a VistaMCE user. In Australia, all the shows run late and require post-padding, anything up to 15-30 mins sometimes.. This of course means that you need 2 tuners to do a back to back recording off the guide. Is this the same with Sage? or does Sage have smarter tuners use that will just copy bits of 1 file to the next? (and no, I don't want to have 1 file with 2 shows in it or have to trace back in my mind to remember what show followed/preceded the show I've recorded earlier that I'm now trying to watch). If not, are there any patches that will do this?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Administrator

No the overlapping area between airings is not shared by two different recordings.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Sage User

Sorry, I don't quite follow your response. If I WANT the overlap to be 2 different recordings, is there a way to make that happen with just 1 tuner?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaceff View Post
Sorry, I don't quite follow your response. If I WANT the overlap to be 2 different recordings, is there a way to make that happen with just 1 tuner?

No, you'll need 2 tuners just like in VistaMCE.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Sage User

I see. Thats really lame. One of the reasons for considering coming to Sage was what I though was 'better tuner management'.
Any ideas if this is a future feature?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Sage User

Yeah, you'll need 2 tuners or a dual tuner like the Avermedia AVerHDTV Duet tuner. I Have 2 of them so I can record 4 channels. They are inexpensive too.

SageTV Screenshot
2.5" SAMSUNG Spinpoint 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, SAMSUNG Spinpoint, Plextor PX-B310SA SW Blu Ray Drive, CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 (PC2 6400), 2 Avermedia AVerTVHD Duet, Logitech diNovo Edge Bluetooth, Netgear WG111 v.2, Terrestrial Digital DB2 Multi-Directional HDTV Antenna
Old 07-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Sage User

Am I the only person who thinks this is a bit crazy in 2009? Surely if there are back to back shows with padding, all Sage has to do is copy the same chunks from the end of the first file to the start of the second file (or vice versa) just while it continues recording away on the same tuner without interruption!?
Are there any MCE's that can do this? I know dual tuners are cheap (I have 6 of them in my PC), but would rather just have 3 or 4!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Am I the only person who thinks this is a bit crazy in 2009?

More than likely.

Quote:
I know dual tuners are cheap (I have 6 of them in my PC), but would rather just have 3 or 4!
I don't understand. You already have the solution to your problem bought, paid for and installed, but you don't want to use it?

Oh well, I guess different people are what make life interesting.

Nick
Old 07-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Sage User

I'm having trouble with all 6 tuners. And I'm looking to setup another system for a friend, so yeah, I'd like to reduce costs.