SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Sage User

Multiple tuners, multiple guide channels?

Hopefully there is an answer to my unique problem.

My setup is as follows:

2 tuners are my two cable tv set-top boxes
1 tuner is my HDHomeRun
1 tuner is my Dishnetwork set-top box.

Everything is working as it is designed to work. My guide is populated as designed including overlapping channels between my cable and dish network tuners.

My problem is that my cable TV kinda sucks. As an example, watching SCI-FI on cable has tons of artifacts. This is a cable company problem, not Sage or my decoders. Conversely my dishnetwork SCI-FI is very clear but unfortunately it is not very stable when changing channels. Many times the dish network schedule recordings will tune to the wrong channel. It's about 50/50 on whether it will change correctly or not.

I've been using BTV for about 2 years and on that system my guide would show a single entry for channel 26 - SCI-FI. This channel was mapped to both of my cable boxes. I would also have a channel 122 which was SCI-FI on the dish network tuner. This was convenient so I could have two schedule recordings at the same time. I would record Stargate at 7pm on Friday on channel 26 (low quality but reliable in that it would always get the right station and record fine) and I would concurrently record channel 122 on Dish which (if it worked 50% of the time because of the crappy channel change issue) would be higher quality. This way if the dish recording screwed up I could always have the backup recording from my cable boxes.

Unfortunately my guide on Sage is only showing one channel for SCI-FI.....channel 26. I'm assuming my dish network SCI-FI is being combined with my two cable boxes in the guide under this single channel. Therefore I can not concurrently record off of cable and off dish.

Is there any way to force my dish network tuner to separate out the channel 122 so I can concurrently record the same show (one on cable, one on dish)?

Jeff
Old 06-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Sage User

Another example where the combining causing me some minor grief. I have the Weather Channel on both Cable and on Dish. The cable one has local forecasts for my area where as the dish one does not. For the life of me I can not get Sage to tune into the cable one in order to see my local forecast. It seems to want to go to the dish network one instead. If I could split that one out, I could chose which one I wanted to see. This example isn't a real big deal because I'm guessing I can remove it from the dish network lineup?

Jeff
Old 06-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

I needed to do the same thing.
I had 4 analog tuners and there was no problem
if they shared the same EPG but when I added
HD homerun I had no way of selecting them.
The SAGETV would select analog or HD at random
(after you enabled which channels and remapped them)
But the EPG could only pick between over the air/cable/satellite.
I use SageTV XMLTV Importer
http://www.lmgestion.net/@en-us/4/22/54/59/article.asp
allowed me construct the EPG to my needs.
I could then mix cable/cable HD (QAM)/OTA HD
I remapped my HDhomerun to 100 and above (cable was 1-99)
I could have two channel 7, one analog and one HD right next to each other
but I prefered mapping to 100 and above.
Ray