SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:05 AM

Question Newb Question and Hello

I'm new here so please be gentle (donning flame resistant suit anyway)

How does the SageTV HD Theatre and accompanying software aquire and display movie information from DVD, Blu Ray, etc...???? Is it scraped from the internet like YAMJ does for the Popcorn Hour or is it all fanart and user input???

I'm very close to pulling the trigger and ordering my SageTV but would like to know what i'm going to have to do once I do and after installing the software and SageTV Movie Wall.

Thanks for allowing me to join here and I am looking forward to a great experience.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by misticjeff View Post
I'm new here so please be gentle (donning flame resistant suit anyway)

How does the SageTV HD Theatre and accompanying software aquire and display movie information from DVD, Blu Ray, etc...???? Is it scraped from the internet like YAMJ does for the Popcorn Hour or is it all fanart and user input???

I'm very close to pulling the trigger and ordering my SageTV but would like to know what i'm going to have to do once I do and after installing the software and SageTV Movie Wall.

Thanks for allowing me to join here and I am looking forward to a great experience.

Jeff
Welcome!

The main thing that most users probably use is Batch Metadata Importer. It is pretty much an automatic scraper that gets all the properties and fanart you need for your DVDs, Blurays, and TV recordings. I guess it is a little bit of both like you asked in your post. I have used the BMT import tool for my media and SageMovieWall looks beautiful. You may also check out TVExplorer if you look to do any recording and would like a new view for the recorded TV screen.

Like I said, the Batch Metadata Importer is IMO the main tool most use. Some have had issues getting it setup but I think it is pretty simple, but there are other ways. Some do everything custom like grab their own fanart and build their own property files for each piece of media.

Good luck. Hope this helps!
Old 11-03-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxLJLxx View Post
Welcome!

The main thing that most users probably use is Batch Metadata Importer. It is pretty much an automatic scraper that gets all the properties and fanart you need for your DVDs, Blurays, and TV recordings. I guess it is a little bit of both like you asked in your post. I have used the BMT import tool for my media and SageMovieWall looks beautiful. You may also check out TVExplorer if you look to do any recording and would like a new view for the recorded TV screen.

Like I said, the Batch Metadata Importer is IMO the main tool most use. Some have had issues getting it setup but I think it is pretty simple, but there are other ways. Some do everything custom like grab their own fanart and build their own property files for each piece of media.

Good luck. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the response....

I'm a little nervous about all this command line stuff as I'm afraid i'm a child of GUI's.

Will the SageTV HD Theatre and Movie Wall setup be fairly easy for me to get going???

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:31 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Hello and Welcome,

I'm what you might call a moderate PC user (wasn't when I started using Sage) and its not that difficult to setup. I've never used the command line tool and manage just fine with the web UI. The best advice anyone can give you is to try the Sage trial for 21 days, take your time and read the intructions. If you follow the instructions to the letter you should be ok. Once you get it setup on a PC setting up on an extender is a piece of cake.

Cheers

Ben
Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by misticjeff View Post
........what i'm going to have to do once I do and after installing the software and SageTV Movie Wall.
I would not suggest installing both the base software & SageMovieWall in one step.
FWIW.....
Step 1 is to install the base SageTV software & hook up your extender. I would let this settle for about a week. Get your tuner working & add all your media (dvd's, music, etc). At this point you'll be using the "base" or "default" stv UI supplied by SageTV. The UI is a bit drab but you should get everything going rock solid before moving on to.....

Learn the difference about STV's & stvi's (notice the 'i'). Many posts explain this better than I can (search). Basically, an STV is a complete UI change and stvi's are "imports" which can be added to an STV.
Two STV's are currently used most often - one is the 'default' which you'll automatically have by installing SageTV, and the other is called SageMC (which is community supported). SageMC will completely change your UI and add a bunch of options/features.

Now each STV has a specific list of stvi's (or imports) which can be added to it. So taking a look at the list of stvi's available for the "Default" & "SageMC" will help with your decision. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7953 You'll notice that SMW (SageMovieWall) is available for both the SageMC & the Default (list 1 & 2 respectively), but it was originally developed for MC and ported over for the default later.

If deciding on SageMC, you'll be adding a bunch of cool options and even the option to modify your main menu anyway you like. Again I suggest to take it slow and live with it before moving on to.....
Adding imports (stvi) - like SageMovieWall
&
Adding External Utilities - like BMT

In my experience; SageMC, SMW, & BMT are each weekend projects.
Don't rush it - have fun!!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Sage Icon

Well said, wado... though I would add that nielm's Dynamic Customizable Menus plugin for the default STV allows you to completely rearrange, and add content to, the custom STV also. Using SageMC isn't the only way to customize your screen UI.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM

Great assistance guys... this will be my choice for a new media extender. Now, off to order.

Jeff