SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
This is a possible theory, "the HD PVR's firmware is getting corrupted", it would apply when reinstalling the same drivers tends to fix the problem.
Yes. I have noticed, as well as others here, that after re-installing SageTV AND Drivers, that the system once again becomes more stable. Or better said, less HDPVR lock-ups happen after the re-install.

As time moves forward, something does indeed gets corrupted because the lock-ups once again flare up.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123 View Post
Yes. I have noticed, as well as others here, that after re-installing SageTV AND Drivers, that the system once again becomes more stable. Or better said, less HDPVR lock-ups happen after the re-install.

As time moves forward, something does indeed gets corrupted because the lock-ups once again flare up.
Not necessarily. My HDPVR and SageTV have been running for months without issue. I can't even remember the last time I had to touch my HDPVR.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
It adds support for the HD PVR in Windows Media Center (Beta).
Correct, but it also includes a new driver in addition to the MC specific software. Since the Media Center support is based on the internal IR blaster, their might be some IR related changes.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Not necessarily. My HDPVR and SageTV have been running for months without issue. I can't even remember the last time I had to touch my HDPVR.

Your signature says SageTV V7 which came out not that long ago. When you say months, was that with V6?

What has been the longest you have gone with NO HDPVR issues? Never had an issue?
Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Your signature says SageTV V7 which came out not that long ago. When you say months, was that with V6?

What has been the longest you have gone with NO HDPVR issues? Never had an issue?
Yes, previously it was with v6. The last time I had a problem was just after I replaced my motherboard after having issues. I tried doing away with the USB card to see if it would be stable with the onboard USB. It wasn't and I put the USB card in. It has been completely stable ever since. I replaced the motherboard in late January so it's been running completely stable since February. Prior to replacing the motherboard I had no notable issues up until the motherboard went out.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I replaced the motherboard in late January so it's been running completely stable since February. Prior to replacing the motherboard I had no notable issues up until the motherboard went out.
So you been running about 5 months total with no issues. Another poster above had run for 6 month with no issues and then started having problems.

I ran 2 rock solid months after I upgraded my PVR (complete new install of hardware and software) without a single HDPVR issue and also recording extensively every day. Then all of a sudden, BANG, HDPVR issues and I did not make any changes.

Really wierd.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So you been running about 5 months total with no issues. Another poster above had run for 6 month with no issues and then started having problems.
At least that long. I actual think it's been quite a bit longer. I can't remember when I got it replaced but at some point before the motherboard went out I had the cable company exchange my STB (used needing an HDMI port as an excuse).

The previous box was giving all sorts of issues. It would periodically just stop working which cascaded into an HDPVR lockup and eventually SageTV would also. It would also lose the audio and resolution settings every time it had power removed and would default to 480i. The new box has none of these problems which is probably the main reason for my stability. I probably would have been completely stable for quite a while longer had my STB not had so many issues.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

I ran 2 rock solid months after I upgraded my PVR (complete new install of hardware and software) without a single HDPVR issue and also recording extensively every day. Then all of a sudden, BANG, HDPVR issues and I did not make any changes.

Really wierd.

You can add me to the list. My 3 HD-PVR's were rock solid from Aug. (right after upgrading all 3 cable boxes) until late Apr - May when the lockups returned.

S
Old 06-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
You can add me to the list. My 3 HD-PVR's were rock solid from Aug. (right after upgrading all 3 cable boxes) until late Apr - May when the lockups returned.

S
Something is defenitely getting changed/corrupted with SageTV and the HDPVR.

How can it be that a system works perfect and I mean, prestine perfect for months recording almost 24/7 without a single hiccup and then, all of a suddend, having daily lock ups when no other software was been introduced?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

I also had a lock-up out of the blue happening this morning. Previously I'd only get lock-ups related to other things happening (e.g. usb problems, heat). But this morning it simply locked up at the start of a recording. I had recorded something else late last night and that worked fine. Dunno, if this was just a coincidence or a sign of bad things to come.

I then took this opportunity to upgrade to the latest beta driver, let's see if that makes a change...
Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM
SageTVaholic

My 2 HD-PVRs had been rock solid for about a year now, possibly more, but I'd rather be more conservative. One of my units just started hiccupping about a month ago, so I swapped it out with my spare and that one worked just fine right away. So, clearly a failing unit I'll be sending back for RMA. I'm quite certain this was a case of overheating because it happened on one of the hottest and most humid nights we had yet this year and the AC wasn't on yet. However, the other unit was right next to it and didn't even flinch.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 07-16-2010, 10:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
My 2 HD-PVRs had been rock solid for about a year now, possibly more, but I'd rather be more conservative. One of my units just started hiccupping about a month ago, so I swapped it out with my spare and that one worked just fine right away. So, clearly a failing unit I'll be sending back for RMA. I'm quite certain this was a case of overheating because it happened on one of the hottest and most humid nights we had yet this year and the AC wasn't on yet. However, the other unit was right next to it and didn't even flinch.
Ditto here - my HD-PVR has been generally fine for about six months. Then, all of a sudden, it's been crashing twice a day for the last month. Guess it's time for the old RMA
Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Argh, reading this thread makes me twinge. I just ordered DirecTV service and was going to pick up an HD-PVR (have always had cable and used HDHR/firewire). I really didn't realize there were so many problems with this thing. I was really hoping it would "just work".
Old 07-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Sage Icon

Be aware that there are several people who are using them with no problems. I personally have 4 working perfectly.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
Be aware that there are several people who are using them with no problems. I personally have 4 working perfectly.
It really is touch and go. Mine is the absolute worst piece of hardware I have ever owned and I've been involved in the IT/computer industry for a loooooooong time. After speaking to Hauppauge tech support after my initial purchase, I'm convinced they really half assed the engineering on it. By their own admission it has hardware instability and the drivers for it are a real nightmare. As soon as an alternative presents itself I'll gladly dump the HDPVR but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
What OS are you running? Does the HD-PVR work better on a certain OS/drivers, or is it purely a problem with the device itself?

I ask b/c I am going to build a new server, and I am trying to figure out which OS to load (Win 7 64/32, Win XP, WHS, Linux).
Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Ditto here - my HD-PVR has been generally fine for about six months. Then, all of a sudden, it's been crashing twice a day for the last month. Guess it's time for the old RMA

Same here. I have all kinds of problems with my HDPVR. Some months ago, I upgraded my entire PVR including formating the hard drive to start fresh.

My HDPVR ran PERFECT and rock solid for some 2 months recording almost 24/7 while I tested my new setup. All was great and then, BANG, my HDPVR started locking up. I did not install any new software nor made any changes.

Like others here, I agree that the HDPVR has to be the worse piece of hardware / drivers ever done.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Sage Icon

I've used WHS and XP with both SP2 and SP3 successfully (currently on XP SP3). I have 4 of the devices and the problems I've had have always turned out to be a problem with a HDD that was not able to keep up with the 4 recordings at once, 4 playbacks at once, and 3 commercial analyses at the same time. By spreading the recordings across multiple drives I've eliminated the problems. I certainly wouldn't blame the HDPVR for those issues. There is only so much the drives can keep up with.

@joe123 Please stop with the blue text. It gives me a headache every time I see it.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Sage Icon

BTW, my HDPVR has been working well for the last ~3 months, until the other day when I was defragging 3 drives (SATA) at the same time. It could not record anything at all while I was doing that! I wonder if it is just generating so many interrupts on the USB bus, most systems just can't handle it 100% of the time? (the one HUGE fault of USB, is it's host driven, but then again, that's why most USB devices are so inexpensive)
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 07-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Like others here, I agree that the HDPVR has to be the worse piece of hardware / drivers ever done.
I've bought worse junk -- but it was cheap -- shoulda known better junk.
This thing isn't cheap and causes a lot more aggravation -- as you keep trying and then it works so you think it's fixed, this time.... WRONG... A new driver, a new .... whatever. Here we go again....

It looks like you have to avoid any of its "extra - ?" features such as IR blaster, IR receiver, SPDIF -- but there isn't an official statement. And that doesn't always do it, otherwise, it would be cut n dry.

TW

Tags
hdpvr, lockups