SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Sage User

Post DirecTV - How to Record HD channels

Subject: DirecTV How to Record HD channels

So here I am, 3 years after I setup my HTPC. Originally I purchased the Nvidia DualTV MCE TV Tuner card thinking that I would have two DirecTV receivers connected to it to record multiple shows. I still only have 1. I also purchased a Vbox Cat's Eye 150 PCI card (I don't use this because it caused stuttering when recording SD shows AND HD shows at the same time). I had to purchase the USB Vbox 3650 in order to record OTA HD local channels and SD channels. I did this because the PCI bus wasn't playing nice with the Nvidia DualTV MCE and PCI based Vbox card. Anyway I digress

I also have a Channel Master antenna on my roof to get OTA HD channels. I did this because I didn't have a way to record the DirecTV HD package channels besides over the Nvidia DualTV (s-video only!). I did try it but the quality was horrible and wasn't worth it to me.

So, my question is this: What do I need to purchase in order to not depend on the OTA HD channels coming in via my antenna (or not coming in recently) and record the DirecTV HD channels in HD quality on my HTPC? I'm willing to stop using my other TV Tuner device(s) if there is something better that works seamlessly with the DirecTV HR21-200 receiver.

I see the Hauppauge HD PVR and this has component video. I would still want to use my Patterson USB serial setup to change channels. I would also like to find out if there are any HDMI TV Tuner cards that can also record the content (SD and HD) from the HR21-200 I have.

Is there a more elegant solution than what I currently have?

Thanks all!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Sage Expert

The HD-PVR is the only solution. I have with the same reciever and it works great. Read a couple of threads to get setup correct, but once you use Paterson device to change channels, setup the delay_to_wait variable to 4000, and plug int the HD-PVR to its own USB header (don't use the second port right next to the one you use for the HD-PVR), you should be good to go.

Good Luck!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Sage Expert

Actually you can use Patterson or IOGEAR usb to serial adapaters.

Also if your HTPC doesn't have serial ports, then you'll need to add a PCI card that has serial ports on it, and then use null-modem adapter/cables -> the USB-Serial -> back of H20/H21 DirecTV STBs.

Keep in mind one stb == one source == 1 HD PVR. Want 2 recordings from directv at the same time, then you'll need another STB AND another HDPVR, and another serial port / adapter setup for changing channels (or you can try IR blasting, some people have had success).

PS, there is no such thing as recording via HDMI or DVI. . . or at least not one that doesn't cost thousands of dollars. . .(production quality stuff)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 09-24-2009, 05:48 AM
Sage Expert

just to add to sdsean....you don't need serial ports on your PC. That same serial->USB adapter works the other way as well. On my system, it goes USB, USB->serial adapter, F/F null modem adapter, serial->USB adapter, H20