SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Sage Expert

Problem with Stephane's XMLTV importer and Sage 6.2.2

Hi

I'm building a new server and its the first time I've used the enhanced channel setup screens. I'm using Stephane's importer (*) and here's the method I've always used in the past :

Install tuner, add to Sage with 'no EPG, run scan, remove tuner
Setup XMLTV importer using .frq file created by scan
re-add tuner, this time using XMLTV lineup.

This has worked on older versions of Sage.

Now, when I run step 3, the association to the physical channel is lost. So whilst I now have EPG data for the channel it won't tune. I ended up re-scanning again and then manually associating the channel from the lineup with the scanned one (as they have the correct physical channel details)

Now I'm adding my DVB-S card, thats not going to be feasible as the scan will find ~700 channels (Most of which I normally edit out of the .frq file)

Anyone else run into this and have any ideas ?

Thanks

Tim

(*) Latest donater version of the importer pulled from LM Gestion website last week
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,

Last edited by brewston; 09-15-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Sage Fanatic

This is what I do - off the top of my head!

One off... (to get the frq file)

Add the source, do a scan, edit the frq file to as I like it.

Then remove the source.

Close down sageTV

Edit the properties file and remove lines starting with

epg/channel_lineups
epg/lineup_overrides
epg/lineup_physical_overrides

start Stephanes importer (using version 4 I think)

create the lineups - when doing this you select the frq file for the associated tuner.

When finished, do an update

Start SageTV

Add the source.
Use the XMLTV lineup.
Say No to any scans

I did this a couple of weeks ago with 6.6.2 and it worked fine.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:50 AM
Sage Expert

Ah, didn't want to play with the properties file as I'd setup the DVB-T card OK and didn't want to break it

I ended up re-scanning DVB-S (there is so much junk on satellite!) and re-mapped the station using Sage, if you scroll down in the station list, you can see the stations pulled from the EPG and Sage helpfully tells you what the EPG shows currently on. Useful in conjunction with the preview button
Old 09-16-2009, 03:36 AM
Sage Fanatic

What I didn't say is that as I have dvb-s and dvb-t I do 2 seperate scans to get the list of stations.

Once I'm happy with the frq files, I then delete all sources and property file stuff again.

I then setup Stephanes importer and then add all the sources one by one. This way there is no scanning at at the final setting up.

If I reinstall Sage, I just use the frq files I had before, add the sources but don't scan.

If I ever have to go into the channel setup screen I know i've done something wrong. I've never got my head round the physical channel/logical channel stuff.

I make sure that the channel numbers in the frq files match for the same station in the other frq files, and make sure the station names are all the same too. I don't know if this is overkill or not, but it seems to be working ok.

I bought an HVR4000 a few weeks ago to keep in my normal desktop PC so that I could do channel scans there, and then alter the main Sage PC's frq files without any messing, but the card magically worked its way into the Sage PC....... not sure how........
Old 09-16-2009, 04:06 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post

I bought an HVR4000 a few weeks ago to keep in my normal desktop PC so that I could do channel scans there, and then alter the main Sage PC's frq files without any messing, but the card magically worked its way into the Sage PC....... not sure how........

Yeah, I'd already setup DVB-T, I could do them both from scratch or I could keep tinkering. Live service is on the old Shuttle, so WAF isn't at risk at the moment.

How did you get on with the HVR-4000 ? I was tempted as I only have 1 PCI slot and could do both but jaminben told you can only use 1 tuner at a time. Or have they fixed that in drivers etc ?

Tim
Old 09-16-2009, 04:36 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewston View Post
How did you get on with the HVR-4000 ? I was tempted as I only have 1 PCI slot and could do both but jaminben told you can only use 1 tuner at a time. Or have they fixed that in drivers etc ?

Tim
You're right, you can only use one tuner at a time. Thats why I thought it was a good idea for my desktop PC which can do the scanning.

You have to do the registry fix that John posted here

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28147

otherwise you only see the dvb-t tuner.

The tuner names get confusing though as all my dvb-s tuners were called

Hauppauge WinTV 88x TS Capture

but now they're called

Hauppauge WinTV 88x TS Capture<DVB-S>

and the dvb-t tuner on the HVR4000 is called

Hauppauge WinTV 88x TS Capture

Its a bad idea to play around with things after a few beers!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Sage Expert

Got it sorted. ended up doing them both from scratch. The new remap screen is pretty useful. After creating the XMLTV lineups, I rescanned and then had to match up the physical channel found with the XMLTV one (which helpfully tells you whats showing at the time, making the preview function more useful)
Old 09-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Guys, why you scan a new source then remove it?

I do not get it.

I set up my tuner, search channels, close sage, open Importer, and set up my channels with guide, that's it.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeven View Post
Guys, why you scan a new source then remove it?

I do not get it.

I set up my tuner, search channels, close sage, open Importer, and set up my channels with guide, that's it.
The scan is done to get the .frq file.

Removing it, removes all references in sagetv to the channels found.

Then we edit the .frq file and leave in it only the channels we want ordered according to our preference. Essentially, these are the channels for which there is data in xmltv file.

By re-adding the tuner with just the the channels in the line-up we do away with all the clutter.

For example, in my Diseqc setup of Astra 19.2, Hotbird, Astra 28.2 I endup with about 4000 channels. Out of these I am only interested in watching 60 or so.

With the old sagetv channel setup, it was a nightmare to go through an manage the list.

With the new channel setup it is much better, but still cumbersome for 4000 odd channels.

The other day I did an update scan and it found 100 or so new or changed channels. I had go an disable them one by one to leave my original channel list intact.

You can forego this manual procedure
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Nice explanation, thank you.