SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

HD200 Captions Please!

I have a bunch of movies I have ripped with DVDFab and they all work beautifully on my HD100. They works equally as well on the HD200 BUT it includes captions. What seems strange is that it is including two captions on some movies. I hope this isn't another library format issue like I had getting the time line to work properly. When I enable captions I see (in some movies) two sets of closed captioning. If I turn it off the one set goes away but another seems to be there consistently. Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks and please help!

Neil
Old 09-14-2009, 06:23 AM
Sage User

If you are on the new beta, hit your "options" button while watching a video. You may have closed captions turned on, and subtitles, as well.

You can now turn these on/off globally in that option window. As all things Sage, it's still a bit quirky in when it decides to stay on/off. I haven't figured out if it has anything to do with power cycling, reboots, etc.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have played with the CC options and that kinda helps but I don't see anything for subtitles. Where is that option? I am running the latest version on the HD200 and the server - NOT beta but release.

Thanks!

Neil
Old 09-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Below is from SageTV support:

What format are the rips. I was able to reproduce it only by navigating
directly to the folder and playing a VOB. If that is what you are doing then
you will get subtitles and you can't change that since you are only playing
one part of the rip. You will need to import that directory and then go to
where your imported media is and play the DVD from the DVD icon.

My response is that I just don't buy it. When I played the same videos on the older firmware it never had a problem or showed the subtitles. VLC doesn't show the subtitles. So I call BS on this response and that it can't be "turned off"

Any thoughts?

Neil
Old 09-27-2009, 06:40 AM
SageTVaholic

I have only seen one of my Rips with DVDFAB HD that had this issue and that was Clone Wars where I would get the Captions even if they were turned off. That leads me to believe that it was an issue with DVDFAB HD and the way it ripped it more than the HD200 (or Clone Wars has some odd Captioning to it). Either way, none of the other 400+ DVD Rips I have done with DVDFAB HD has this issue. I can turn the captions on and off with no issues (obviously some captioning is added by the film company when a foreign language is spoken and those are actually in the video and therefore can't be removed).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-27-2009, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

I just looked at my rip for Clone Wars and figured out what was causing it. In the Subpicture option, I chose the English option with an Extension of "normal" instead of "normal captions". All of my other rips I chose "normal captions" and they appear to work just fine on the HD200 and HD100.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Sage Fanatic

Correct if you don't uncheck the subpicture option then you will get the subtitles and they can not be turned off for some reason. People claim they are part of the picture however that just can't be true given that previous generation firmwares on the HD100 didn't show it.

Also watching the videos on VLC doesn't show the subtitles.

Neil