SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Sage Expert

Resuming DVD playback always starts back at the beginning on Sage client

I recently watched a DVD I have stored as a VIDEO_TS folder on the Sage 6.6.2 client (on the same PC as my server) and stopped the movie in the middle. Shortly thereafter, I went back to play the movie and tried to resume playback, but it started at the beginning. I searched around and noticed some folks had issues but never saw a resolution or reason.

Any thoughts on how to resolve or troubleshoot further? Amazingly this is the first time using the resume playback feature despite using Sage for years.
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 09-06-2009, 05:52 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't have this issue. I've resumed both from PC clients and HD200s. As noted some users have this issue. I think we need to figure out what they (you) have in common. If I were to venture a guess I would think it has something to do with permissions. I notice you're server is on Vista. I'm curious to see if UAC is enabled or disabled. If enabled it may have something to do with the virtual store. Try giving all permissions to the user you are logged in as to the SageTV directory under Program Files. Mu guess is it needs to save that position somewhere and it either can't or it is saving it to the wrong place.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
I don't have this issue. I've resumed both from PC clients and HD200s. As noted some users have this issue. I think we need to figure out what they (you) have in common. If I were to venture a guess I would think it has something to do with permissions. I notice you're server is on Vista. I'm curious to see if UAC is enabled or disabled. If enabled it may have something to do with the virtual store. Try giving all permissions to the user you are logged in as to the SageTV directory under Program Files. Mu guess is it needs to save that position somewhere and it either can't or it is saving it to the wrong place.

Gerry
Looks like my signature is old. I updated my signature to indicate that I'm using Windows 7 w/ UAC turned off. I think the next steps would be to either 1) understand from Sage high level how this is designed and what it depends on, or 2) what I can do (logging, etc) to further debug.
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 09-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Sage Expert

Did some more testing. This is just weird. I can resume playback from some DVD movies but not others. They are all stored as VIDEO_TS folders. Any reason why it would work for some but not others?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
Did some more testing. This is just weird. I can resume playback from some DVD movies but not others. They are all stored as VIDEO_TS folders. Any reason why it would work for some but not others?
Any pattern as being full rips or just a movie rip? Done by different programs? Stored on another machine and now moved somewhere else?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Any pattern as being full rips or just a movie rip? Done by different programs? Stored on another machine and now moved somewhere else?

Gerry
No differences that I can think of. All are ripped by same version of AnyDVD, full rips, and all stored on the same machine as my server (not moved around).
Old 09-07-2009, 03:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Open a ticket with support. They may want debug logs.

Gerry
Old 09-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Open a ticket with support. They may want debug logs.

Gerry
Bug report submitted. Will reply to this thread once I have an update or response.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Sage Icon

Yes, there is a reason this will work for some DVD rips and not for others. The DVD format allows authors of DVD's to set permissions on what operations are allowed. They can block or disable the ff/rw buttons or the chapter fwd/ chapter rev buttons or the menu button. Separate permissions can be set for each chapter or title on the DVD. So, for example, they can make it so that you can't skip the FBI warning or the previews of other movies at the beginning of the disc.

Not every DVD puts restrictions on what you can do (just like not every DVD uses copy protection), but many do. Some DVD ripping software allows you to remove these restrictions when you rip the DVD.

My guess is that the DVD's you are having problems with are configured so that you can't skip FBI warning and that is why Sage appears to be forgetting where you left off. Check the options in your ripping software and see if there is a setting that lets you "remove prohibited user operations (P-UOPS)" and try re-ripping the DVD's that are giving you trouble.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 09-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
My guess is that the DVD's you are having problems with are configured so that you can't skip FBI warning and that is why Sage appears to be forgetting where you left off. Check the options in your ripping software and see if there is a setting that lets you "remove prohibited user operations (P-UOPS)" and try re-ripping the DVD's that are giving you trouble.
I use the same settings in AnyDVD for the DVDs that work and don't and the setting for remove prohibited user operations is indeed turned on.

Nonetheless, I heard the following from SageTV support... we'll see how this goes:
Code:
"One of the developers said this has to do with the way bookmarks are done in
SageTV. Some DVDs don't allow you to skip to a certain part of the movie
directly; which is what SageTV tries to do. So for those DVDs; bookmarks
don't work.

There's another way bookmarks can be done which are operating
system/DVD-player specific which get around this problem; and we're looking
into supporting that technique in future versions."
Old 10-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
Nonetheless, I heard the following from SageTV support... we'll see how this goes:
Code:
"One of the developers said this has to do with the way bookmarks are done in
SageTV. Some DVDs don't allow you to skip to a certain part of the movie
directly; which is what SageTV tries to do. So for those DVDs; bookmarks
don't work.

There's another way bookmarks can be done which are operating
system/DVD-player specific which get around this problem; and we're looking
into supporting that technique in future versions."
This is BS. Bookmarks used to work perfectly on any and all ripped DVDs I have. Now they don't.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G View Post
This is BS. Bookmarks used to work perfectly on any and all ripped DVDs I have. Now they don't.
Submit a bug report then and be clear which versions of Sage worked and which didn't for the exact same ripped DVD. Give them debug logs of both as well.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Sage Fanatic

Was this ever noted as an actual "bug" or was it determined not to be because I'm having similar issues except that it's not on a client and instead on my main installation. I had been running one of the first versions of V6 for a long time but just upgraded to the latest version the other day. This always worked in the past but it seems to not work at all right now. Each time I do the "resume playback" option it still starts the DVD completely over... even starting with the previews.

All movies just copied from the DVD drive to a hard drive folder (using AnyDVD).