SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Sage User

How to switch Audo Device/Config Easily?

Hi,

Hoping someone has some good ideas here. I have an ATI 4850 with hdmi going to a sharp tv. I also have on board audio going to a 7.1 creative system with a standalone decoder. I currently use DolbyDig live to the stand alone creative decoder for that device. Both devices are realtek

Most of the time I need two channel going to the HDMI. When I watch an HD movie I'd like to switch to the onboard audio and go the 7.1 system.

To do this I have to go to the control panel, switch from 2 speakers to 7.1 and change the audio device to the on board audio. Then I go into the realtek control, switch to 7.1 (again) and turn on DDL. To go back I have to do the opposite.

I have to restart sagetv and sometimes it seems I have to reboot to get the audio changes to take affect.

Is there an easier way to do this? I tried setting the control panel audio device to the HDMI with 2 speakers and the Realtek control panel to 7.1 and DDL. I thought I could switch between the two audio devices by changing the render device in sage but it seems like the settings between the two devices interact with each other. If they are not the same (and 2 channel) I get little to no audio on the hdmi device.

So anyone have any ideas of a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't think there is any easier way of swithcing output devices like you are looking for. However, can you elaborate on WHY you nee to be switching devices? Seems you'd be better off just using the 7.1 system all the time.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Sage User

Yeah, that's what I thought.

So why do I want to do that? Mostly because I don't want to leave the creative decoder and amp on all the time, or alternatively have to switch them both on when all I want to do is watch regular tv where sound is unimportant.

If only my tv would understand 7.1 lpcm (do any?) then I could use one of these and just leave it on hdmi 7.1.
http://www.ambery.com/2hddodtsdihd.html

As it is I seem to only hear the surround channels when the hdmi is set to 7.1.

So I guess I'll try just leaving the decoder and amp on all the time and switching the audio device to the onboard with 7.1 setting for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks

Pete
Old 09-04-2009, 11:38 PM
SageTVaholic

well, the ideal solution would be to go with an HDMI receiver, and always send the sound/video through that.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
well, the ideal solution would be to go with an HDMI receiver, and always send the sound/video through that.
and for those of us with wives who don't want to fiddle with a receiver, I would like to have a two-channel audio stream that goes directly to the LCD panel so it's SIMPLE! Aren't there any women designing motherboard components? Seriously, the concept of a HTPC is to have multiple audio streams, HDMI, spdif, analog, whatever, and NOT have to play with sub-menu level 97. Does this have anything to do with HDCP rights?

I too am having a nightmare with a new Gigabyte/Realtek combo that can't do HDMI and spdif streams at the same time. for that matter, it can't do analog and digital streams at the same time, coming from a single source.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Sage User

Everything I have read points to windows only allowing 1 active audio device at a time. I think the only exception to that is stereo over analog and optical out at the same time. Only stereo, no surround. I think the audio hardware must be doing the work, not windows.

I ended up leaving the amp on, setting the on board audio to 7.1 analog and always using that. So I don't use hdmi audio at all.

It is a bummer.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inskeepp View Post
Everything I have read points to windows only allowing 1 active audio device at a time. I think the only exception to that is stereo over analog and optical out at the same time. Only stereo, no surround. I think the audio hardware must be doing the work, not windows.

I ended up leaving the amp on, setting the on board audio to 7.1 analog and always using that. So I don't use hdmi audio at all.

It is a bummer.
The Realtek codec and Gigabyte board I just bought touts 7.1 digital stream and a 2 channel analog stream. What they don't make clear is if the streams are independent or from a single source. And from what I read as well, no HDMI and spdif at the same time - real bummer. Bizarrely, the little Sage HD200 box seems to output both optical and HDMI at the same time.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:12 AM
SageTVaholic

We use a Harmony remote which takes care of turning everything on and switching to the correct inputs with 1 button. It controls the receiver volume so the wife doesn't have to do anything special except point it and volume up/down.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

You can use Virtual Audio Cable to pipe and convert the audio simultaneously to all audio devices. It costs $30, but it's an amazing product
Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 AM
SageTVaholic

If this is a WAF issue, of not wanting to 'fiddle with the receiver', that that should be corrected. A smart remote, (Harmony, Home Theater Master, etc) is the ideal solution to this. I have an older HTM remote that when you press the 'on' button, turns on the tv, wakes up the sage computer, turns on the receiver, and sets everything to the correct inputs.

Off button does the opposite.

Tags
audio device hdmi