SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Sage User

Can Sage control an RF remote?

I am moving to back country and need to switch TV providers. I have been thinking about using Dish Networks. I am planning on needing about 6 stb to run my new home with WHS and Sage.

The dual boxes from Dish Networks seen the leeser expensive way to go.
I will be using 2 pvr 150 1 hdpvr and possible PVR 1600 . I am using the usb birt to tune the ir portions of the stb.

So my question is how do I control the RF tuners of the STB.
using Sage.

Thanks

Ed
Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 PM
SageTVaholic

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42798
Old 09-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the link.

Any opinion which is better Dish Network or Direct TV for use with Sage

Thanks
Old 09-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Sage Icon

You mention 6 STBs which a assume means 6 TVs. If you run a WHS for the tuners and have Sage on each TV then you would not need a STB for each Tuner. Unless you want to watch live TV on each set at the same time it would be overkill. I would think you could bet by with just 2 and an Antenna with and dual ATSC tuner for locals and still be happy. That would give you the ability to record\watch 4 at a time.

I use DirecTV with 2 H20s and it works very well for me. My Dads uses Dish and seems pretty happy as well. I do like the ability to control the DirecTV receiver with a direct connection instead of a IR Blaster. This has worked every well for me. (Search DirecTV Serial Control)
Old 09-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply

I kinda do that now with Comcast cable.
I do have worries about the other members of family using just Sage on each TV.

The other issue I have now is the abliity of using the ON DEMAND ability by not using the STB's
Does your Dad have any issues with Dish Network using the RF remotes with the Dual STB.

This setup is going into a new home prewired with cat 5 and rf cable in the walls. I just have to chose my setup. I am very happy now with WHS and sage.

Thanks

Ed
Old 09-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Sage Icon

We had some issues getting the IR to work with the Harmony Remote. Turns out the Dish receivers have more than one set of IR codes you can use. Only the first one is defined in the Harmony Remote software. Same thing for the other Universal remote he has. We had to reset the STB to use the defualt codes using a well hidden option in the menus. I would guess you would have the same problem with a IR blaster but he does not use that receiver for Sage.

I would never use VOD as long as I have my Netflix account. Netflix is by far a much cheaper option. The Instant viewing is just a bonus.