SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-25-2004, 05:44 AM
Sage User

Using VNC to remote control Sage

In the past I've used VNC to control Sage from the "road" with no problem. With the latest releases the screen will not refresh for Sage unless i drag the mouse all over it. I'm not sure the only thing that changed was upgrading to sage RC's but think it is. All other applications draw just fine. I suspect this is a dumb question but it's driving me nuts... thanks.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi,

I have the same problem with other applications too. In Sage, I just hit the up or down arrow and the screen will be sent down. Basically, it takes a leap of faith.

Regards,

Mark
Old 04-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

On the server side there is a checkbox to poll the whole screen or something like that. That fixed it for me.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Sage User

Polling used 50-60% CPU for me. I have discovered that if you control it with the keyboard, it does a full repaint of the screen prior to whatever action the keyboard has. It works tolerably well without chewing up CPU and potentially causing skipping.

(Arrow keys can bring in sync). Use Detailed Setup | Commands to learn all the keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+w watched, Ctrl+Y record, Ctrl+I details). You'll get the hang of it.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:11 AM
SageTVaholic

There are many VNC's, some are better than others at commpression and determining what needs redrawing...

Personally I prefer UltraVNC which has auto-reselect of compression algorithm (based on bandwidth), much faster 'Poll full Screen', screen scaling, and built in file transfer, however you have to be careful with it's 'video hook driver' which can interfere with DXVA hardware accellerated MPEG2 video decoders... (either don't install it, or if the decoder doesn't work, de-install the virtual display device).

http://www.ultravnc.com/
Old 04-26-2004, 04:38 AM
Sage User

Nielm, I forgot that I upgraded to UNVC just before my last trip. I did install that 'Video Hook Driver'. Do you think that is the cause of my severe pixalization issue (http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...&threadid=4919)?

Mark, I tried the arrow trick with no luck. The only way I can get a repaint is to drag the mouse around over the Sage screen.

I think I will reinstall UVNC, unless someone suggests a better alternative (important to me is speed), and see if that solves both issues.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2004, 08:18 AM
SageTVaholic

For me the video hook driver prevented any video from working (because I had enabled hardware acelleration in the decoder, and the video hook driver does not support it!), but it may cause other effects.. it works as a virtual display device, so video might be being sent to it for encoding, causing large CPU usage...

Its worth a try anyway -- it is easy to install/de-install the video hook driver only: run C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\setupdrv.exe

UltraVNC for me uses about 20% CPU (when I am doing stuff. less when it is idle), and this is on a Via 1Ghz C3 CPU (equivalent to a 600Mhx PIII)

My update handling settings are:
[x] Poll Full Screen
[x] Poll Console windows only
[ ] Poll on event received only
[x] Poll Foreground window
[x] Poll Window under cursor
[x] System Hook DLL
[ ] Video hook driver
[ ] Low accuracy