SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

How to play back HD PVR files?

With everyone's suggestions here, it sounds like the Hauppauge HD PVR is good for recording HD content.

Question: to play back the files that the HD PVR records, can you use the SageTV Media Center interface, as you do with SD files? I know it records in H.264, but am not sure if you just play back through Sage, or is there something else needed for playback via a DVI PC output?

I imagine 5.1 audio now works, is that correct? If so, 5.1 audio is embedded in the recorded files, is that correct?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 AM
SageTVaholic

They play back just like anything else, assuming you're using the extender or have the right codecs installed on the PC.

And if you've got optical connected and your STB set to AC3 output, yes it will record/play 5.1 AC3.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
They play back just like anything else, assuming you're using the extender or have the right codecs installed on the PC.

And if you've got optical connected and your STB set to AC3 output, yes it will record/play 5.1 AC3.
I don't have an extender. So, the files will not play through a DVI or HDMI cable (via video card) to an LCD screen?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 AM
SageTVaholic

No they will, that's the "have the right codecs installed" part. Since the recordings are H.264, you need to make sure you've got an H.264 decoder installed, but that's really the only difference between an HD PVR recording and any other recording.

The HD PVR is fully supported by Sage for recording and playback, it's not hacked in like some other systems (/cough VMC /cough)
Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
No they will, that's the "have the right codecs installed" part. Since the recordings are H.264, you need to make sure you've got an H.264 decoder installed, but that's really the only difference between an HD PVR recording and any other recording.

The HD PVR is fully supported by Sage for recording and playback, it's not hacked in like some other systems (/cough VMC /cough)
While I definetly wouldn't disagree that Sage is the best software around supporting the HD PVR as a tuner/capture device, you still need 3rd party software to make it fully work in Sage. As you'd mentioned you need a DirectShow filter for playback, be it Arcsoft, Cyberlink or another one. And you might also need 3rd party software for blaster support. So it doesn't really work out of the box.

And Media Center can playback HD PVR recordings natively now (in Windows 7; though the tuner setup is definetly a hack)
Old 08-02-2009, 12:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
While I definetly wouldn't disagree that Sage is the best software around supporting the HD PVR as a tuner/capture device, you still need 3rd party software to make it fully work in Sage. As you'd mentioned you need a DirectShow filter for playback, be it Arcsoft, Cyberlink or another one. And you might also need 3rd party software for blaster support. So it doesn't really work out of the box.

And Media Center can playback HD PVR recordings natively now (in Windows 7; though the tuner setup is definetly a hack)
Media Center in Windows 7 only, or XP and Vista as well?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

any recommendations for minimum cpu / video card specs for "headache-free" HD-PVR recording / playback?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

The HD-PVR comes with Arcsoft so you already have the directshow for playback of h.264 files. Just install it on the PC you're trying to play the files with.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
The HD-PVR comes with Arcsoft so you already have the directshow for playback of h.264 files. Just install it on the PC you're trying to play the files with.

Gerry
cool - thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post

Gerry
One caveat here is that the Arcsoft utilities will only install on a PC with the Hauppauge HD-PVR drivers installed. if you are using a headless server for HD-PVR capture and playing back the h.264 content via SageClient on a different PC, you are SOL as far as using the Arcsoft decoder is concerned.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
While I definetly wouldn't disagree that Sage is the best software around supporting the HD PVR as a tuner/capture device, you still need 3rd party software to make it fully work in Sage. As you'd mentioned you need a DirectShow filter for playback, be it Arcsoft, Cyberlink or another one.
The HD PVR comes with the decoders you need so 3rd party to SageTV yes, but not an external solution, ie you don't need to buy anything extra on that front.

Quote:
And you might also need 3rd party software for blaster support. So it doesn't really work out of the box.
I've always used a USB-UIRT which has been flawless.

Quote:
But it can't record anything without some hacks and setting your PC up as being in Europe right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
any recommendations for minimum cpu / video card specs for "headache-free" HD-PVR recording / playback?
An extender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillian View Post
One caveat here is that the Arcsoft utilities will only install on a PC with the Hauppauge HD-PVR drivers installed. if you are using a headless server for HD-PVR capture and playing back the h.264 content via SageClient on a different PC, you are SOL as far as using the Arcsoft decoder is concerned.
You sure about that? I installed the Hauppauge bundled TME on my HTPC/Sage Client that I never installed the drivers on. At least I don't think I installed the drivers, definitely never plugged the HD PVR into that machine.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I installed the Hauppauge bundled TME on my HTPC/Sage Client that I never installed the drivers on. At least I don't think I installed the drivers, definitely never plugged the HD PVR into that machine.
Having just recently installed an HD-PVR and multiple SageTV clients I can verify that you can install the ArcSoft TME software on a client from the CD without the HD PVR drivers but you can not *upgrade* the software (which does require the drivers for some odd reason). And it will ask you if you want to upgrade every time I think
Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The HD PVR comes with the decoders you need so 3rd party to SageTV yes, but not an external solution, ie you don't need to buy anything extra on that front.

I've always used a USB-UIRT which has been flawless.

But it can't record anything without some hacks and setting your PC up as being in Europe right?

An extender.

You sure about that? I installed the Hauppauge bundled TME on my HTPC/Sage Client that I never installed the drivers on. At least I don't think I installed the drivers, definitely never plugged the HD PVR into that machine.
I didn't say that you have to purchase anything else, all I said is that you have to install additional software to get everything working. Personally I'm not too fond of the Arcsoft SW, so I'd like to stay away from that. I'm currently using the Cyberlink Dshow filters, but wouldn't mind if I can get rid of those as well.

As far as the dvblink solution goes, I think you don't have to specify Europe anymore in their latest version, so it has improved (but I don't disagree that it's kind of a hack)
Old 08-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Sage Icon

I use a WHS as well with two HD-PVRs. It is a pain but I have found for the clients you can plug in the HD-PVR once and install the drivers and then attach it back to the server. (No need to configure it) Once the drivers are registered you can run the TME updates without having the HD-PVR actually connected. Pain it butt but not a big deal since you only have to do it once.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
I use a WHS as well with two HD-PVRs. It is a pain but I have found for the clients you can plug in the HD-PVR once and install the drivers and then attach it back to the server. (No need to configure it) Once the drivers are registered you can run the TME updates without having the HD-PVR actually connected. Pain it butt but not a big deal since you only have to do it once.
That's a fair qualification to my initial comment. I wasn't willing to tear my HD-PVR out of my server closet and faux-install it on my Windows 7 SageClient PC just to get the TME h.264 decoders to install. I found it easier to pay $19 for Cyberlink h.264 drivers, which also support Nvidia Purevideo (~10% CPU utilization during playback).
Old 08-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillian View Post

I installed the trial version of TMT and sage will not show the decoder nor does it show up in Radlight.

I found some post suggesting v3 of TMT may be the culprit.