SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

HD200 Audio Summary

HD200 Audio Summary

Bitstream HDMI Mode:
5.1 FLAC - HD200 decodes to stereo
5.1 PCM - HD200 downconverts to stereo
7.1 TrueHD - HD200 passes through the 5.1 AC3 core
5.1 DD - HD200 passes through 5.1 AC3
7.1 DTS-MA - HD200 passes through the 5.1 DTS core
5.1 DTS - HD200 passes through 5.1 DTS

PCM HDMI Mode:
5.1 FLAC - HD200 decodes to stereo
5.1 PCM - HD200 downconverts to stereo
7.1 TrueHD - HD200 decodes AC3 core to stereo
5.1 DD - HD200 decodes to stereo
7.1 DTS-MA - HD200 outputs no sound (Can't decode DTS core)
5.1 DTS - HD200 outputs no sound (Can't decode DTS)

Future plans: SageTV is looking at having the HD200 decode TrueHD/DTS-MA

Please let me know if the above statements are correct or not. Also, if anything should be added.

Last edited by chrishallowell; 03-08-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: changed based on Deacon Crusher post.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Sage User

These statements as I've seen are correct. Thx for the post. I think this is one of the more important features that Sage has slide under the radar that I value the most.

Long live sage!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishallowell View Post
?? I must have missed that announcement.

That would be awesome, but at the moment I'd be most happy if they could decode plain ol' DTS.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
HD200 Audio Summary

Bitstream HDMI Mode:
5.1 FLAC - HD200 decodes to stereo OR does it try to bitstream FLAC?
decodes to stereo (no AVR take FLAC bitstreams, although that would be cool )
Old 07-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Very nice summary!

I hope SageTV finds a solution to decode DTS. Wasn't such a big deal with DVD but very important now that many BD's are using DTS-MA.
SageTV 7.1.9 on Win 7 Ultimate x86; Intel DH67CF, i3-2100T, 4GB DDR3, 60GB SSD, 8TB Drive Bender storage pool, blu-ray. 2x HD PVR (SA 4250HD firewire channel change), 2x HD200 extenders (external IR receiver mod, HD300 remotes).
Plugins: Custom Main Menu, Enable/Disable Favorites, Stock Manager, Web Interface, Mobile Web Interface, PlayOn
Old 08-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Sure doesn't sound like it to me. Quoted from: http://www.geektonic.com/2009/07/int...e-cto-and.html

Quote:
Brent: Is the need to convert the HD Audio down to 5.1 a hardware limitation on the HD200's?

Jeff: "Yes it's a hardware limitation as the HD200 does not have HDMI 1.3 so it cannot pass through DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD without "downing" it to 5.1. Of course unless you have those extra speakers it isn't going to matter to you. And even then its not going to matter that much."
Sorry, but when a person insinuates that it is not an important feature, either they actually believe that, or they are just saying that because they know it is a feature they can't offer.

If TrueHD and/or DTS HD-MA are important to you, it sounds like you better wait for an HD300.

-Suntan
Old 09-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Sage User

optical out

Does changing the spdif hdmi options from bitstream to pcm have any bearing on what is output from the hd200 optical connector? the reason i ask is that I have the hd200 hooked up to the tv by hdmi with a optical cable going to my dts/dd amp with hdmi bitstream mode selected, when watching a dvd if I have my tv sound on at the same as the amp the two sound sources aren't in sync and it's the tv / hdmi sound that appears to be more out of sync with the picture and so I mute it. I tried changing the hdmi setting to pcm/hdmi and the two sound sources are still slightly out of sync but a bit closer than when using bitsream. On reading this thread i kind of expected that when swithing to pcm/hdmi that my amp would not receive dd 5.1 or dts as this would be down mixed to stereo, but changing from bitstream to pcm doesn't seem to have any effect on what is output from the optical ouput to my amp?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennington View Post
Does changing the spdif hdmi options from bitstream to pcm have any bearing on what is output from the hd200 optical connector? the reason i ask is that I have the hd200 hooked up to the tv by hdmi with a optical cable going to my dts/dd amp with hdmi bitstream mode selected, when watching a dvd if I have my tv sound on at the same as the amp the two sound sources aren't in sync and it's the tv / hdmi sound that appears to be more out of sync with the picture and so I mute it. I tried changing the hdmi setting to pcm/hdmi and the two sound sources are still slightly out of sync but a bit closer than when using bitsream. On reading this thread i kind of expected that when swithing to pcm/hdmi that my amp would not receive dd 5.1 or dts as this would be down mixed to stereo, but changing from bitstream to pcm doesn't seem to have any effect on what is output from the optical ouput to my amp?
Why not just disable your TV's speakers? That's what I did. My TV has an optical output so all my HDMI sources go into the TV and then the audio goes to my surround receiver from the TV. I disabled the TV's speakers so I don't have to mess with them.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
Sure doesn't sound like it to me. Quoted from: http://www.geektonic.com/2009/07/int...e-cto-and.html

Sorry, but when a person insinuates that it is not an important feature, either they actually believe that, or they are just saying that because they know it is a feature they can't offer.

If TrueHD and/or DTS HD-MA are important to you, it sounds like you better wait for an HD300.

-Suntan
I agree with this I don't think that HD200 will decode DTS, MKV audio converter is a good solution but I don't want to use my time to run it for every dts movie. For this reason I decided buy a cheap solution for my bedroom setup that is able to decode dts. I hooked the HD200 to it and now is really ok.

Simple, clean and beautiful solution using an Samsung Soundbar system. This works very good the results so far was very nice and I am 100% satisfied.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...ype=prd_detail

Cheers
Asus P5N-D, C2Q Q9400, 4 GB mem, 6 TB HDD in FreeNAS, ATI HD5750, PVR-150, LG Blu-ray / HD DVD Combo Drive, TVA HDTV, Harmony 555, Speakers JBL e Infinity, Yamaha RX-V3900, Samsumg 19" LCD, Samsumg Plasma 42", SageTV HD200, Arcsoft TMT, KL mega codec pack, EventGhost, Windows 7
Old 12-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Sage Expert

Nice summation

4 changes

And 2 comments with regard to what it means.

Quote:
HD200 Audio Summary

Bitstream HDMI Mode:
7.1 TrueHD - HD200 passes through the 5.1 AC3 core
7.1 DTS-MA - HD200 passes through the 5.1 DTS core

PCM HDMI Mode:
7.1 TrueHD - HD200 decodes AC3 core to stereo
7.1 DTS-MA - HD200 outputs no sound (Can't decode DTS core)
5.1 DTS - HD200 outputs no sound (Can't decode DTS)

Please let me know if the above statements are correct or not. Also, if anything should be added.
I think the Future plans item was a question, not a statement. or an assumed statement given shortcomings exposed by summation.

So, Sage needs an extender with hdmi 1.3 ports on it to pass through the full HD audio streams.

And, Sage needs to add/pay for a dts license so it can decode and down convert to stereo, DTS tracks, so an extender can be hooked to a TV and play all movies with built in sound tracks without us having to convert the audio track/movie before viewing or having to have a dts compatible stereo next to every TV.
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)