SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

802.11g summary

Since I'm thinking my 802.11g is causing a problem I've searched the board high and low for suggestions that don't require running a cable
Here is what I have. Does anyone have anything to add to this? Have I missed something that worked for someone else?

1: Turn off 'turbo' modes
2: Update drives/firmware (both on client and router)
3: Increase Sage Buffer
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...3&postcount=15
see post 15 by stanger
4: Turn off encryption and use mac address filtering
5: Move client closer to router (like this is an option )
6: Change channel number on router (try and stay 5 channels away from anyone else)

If number 5 is the only solution I assume a repeater would do the trick? Or maybe I could try one of the 'through the power outlet' network things. Any one try one of those before? I don't want to buy any extra hardware and find out it doesn't work for streaming video (b/c I know video is a lot more demanding)

Those aren't listed in any particular order obviously I'll try them based on what is easiest first. I'm using a 3-com network card on the client (laptop) and a belkin router for anyone curious.

Last edited by Arioch5; 01-06-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to MrApollinax Send a message via AIM to MrApollinax
If ou have access to a laptop with wifi access you could load a program that measure how strong the signal is where your client is sitting. I use Netstumbler. If it is a wireless problem here are list of reasons why you would have transmission issues:

1. Anything running on the 2.4GHz spectrum
a. 2.4Ghz wireless phones
b. Microwaves
c. Other 802.11b/g networks
2. Interference caused building materials
a. Glass
b. Steel
c. Concrete

I hope this helps.
Router: Dlink DGL-4300

Using Wireshark to Troubleshoot Network Issues with your SageTV Setup
Old 01-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks I'll install netstumbler and see what that can help me figure out. I assume that it's a lot more accurate than just looking at the signal strength in Windows?

I didn't even think about other 802.11g networks. I've got no home phone but I do think I can see about 3 other networks in my house (odd b/c I've only got a neighbor on one side). I guess that means try a different channel... I'll go add that to the list. Is there any way to tell what channel the other networks are on?
Old 01-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Rule of thumb for 802.11b/g networks is to have at least 5 channels of seperation between networks to prevent interference. if you see a bunch of networks on channel 6 move to channel 1 or 11. Netstumbler will show you the channels in use by the other networks as well as their signal strength

Last edited by MrApollinax; 01-06-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cool thats another bit of info I never found anywhere else

My Router set up to channel 11 automatically (I guess assuming others would use 6). I've heard people say phones might use channel 6 is there some list of the more 'crowded' channels? Is there anything I should avoid other than staying 5 channels away from everyone else. I personally always just picked something
Old 01-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Common channels are 1,6, and 11 with 6 being the one I see more frequently being used by default. There are a lot of things to consider when deploying a WiFi network walls, how much coverage area, plants, line-of-sight etc. But for your situation i think you have enough info to see if your problem is WiFi based or not.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Sage User

A repeater might not help; at least, it didn't help me. I think it works by receiving the signal then retransmitting it, thereby cutting the bandwidth in half.

In my case, the repeater helped out with low bandwidth performance, but hurt high bandwidth performance, such as watching video.

In addition to changing channels, perhaps you can try:
1) Updating router firmware to boost signal power.
2) Upgrading the antennae for the router.
3) Upgrading to a pre-n router.

I never tried 2 or 3. 1 may have helped perfomance for my Linksys router. I don't know if hacked firmware exist for Belkin routers.