SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyperBob View Post
I'm interested in this! And I use vcrib!!
Ha, well you and me both, I think that's about it. Time to pick up a python book a .net book and talk to Vaughn. Maybe after I grind that stump, build that fence, fix that car, sell the boat, etc. etc. etc.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Sage User

i've been playing around with some code to add xPL control & querying of sagetv. going the other way, controlling HA from sage menus seems a little clunky to me. too many remote clicks to get stuff done.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think Sage is missing a good opportunity here. Now I think the default STV doesn't really cut it for what I am going to propose, but I think SageTV could easily double as a front end for HA systems. They would have to support them all, pick one to start with and add on if it goes well. I think SageTV, with a skinnable/customizable interface that could be used easily on touchscreens or customized differently for TV would be and IDEAL front end for HA systems. Weather is already there which is a common addon, same with multimedia functionality. Sage would be able to offer a couple of things the others couldn't...HD PVR capabilities and extenders on the TV. I don't think MainLobby or others would have a competitive product. If packaged the right way, it would give the HA enthusiast:
  • A great looking front end to the HA system.
    TV capabilities.
    Multimedia capabilities.
    Weather.
    Youtube, online content.
    Comprehensive and consistent front end that could be used on touchscreen panels, TVs, PCs, internet over placeshifter, etc.
    Lower cost alternative to some of the front ends out there (MainLobby is a $200+ investment in software alone; HSTouch is $199).
    Could possibly be a way to distribute information/content throughout the home automatically. For example, put an extender on a touchpanel in the bedroom. Set a wakeup event before you go to bed. HA sets off an alarm in the morning and when you press the touchpanel to turn off the alarm HA system reads you the current weather forecast and then tunes SageTV into the morning news.

This is a great way to adapt the current networked infrastructure that Sage has created to a new application that could outperform and be a better value than the current market competitors. The main stream HA packages (HomeSeer, HAL, Charmed Quark) also have fairly robust SDK's so integration/plugin development shouldn't be overly resource intensive.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Sage User

HeatVent,
Yes, what you are suggesting has had quite a bit of dialouge / thinking already.

It is just a LOT of work for a good software developer. No where near as "simple" as you might think.

The issue is that every automated home has different capability, different hardware, different taste, different scale, etc. Designing a UI that accomodates these differences requires a very flexible approach. Flexibility takes much effort to code so that end users don't need to code.

If there were a lot of users chiming in, that were interested in paying for that type of solution, then technically it is very possible.

You can do what you ask already with both MainLobby and CQC as the user interface AND control system that leverages SageTV's PVR software AND Extenders. True, it's not "inexpensive" (relative word) to some, but dirt cheap compared to hardware based automation systems most of which can't touch what these two applications can do. Like SageTV's software, there are many man-years of software development in these applications and not something that one can "easily" duplicate / replace.

There has not been a Homeseer equivalent integration, probably because there has been relatively low interest to date for the MainLobby and CQC integrations to warrant the investment in porting the capability for Homeseer. But, since there is already a very capable "MLHSPlugin" that ties Homeseer's server to MainLobby's server, you can achieve what you want (and add MainLobby's user interface as well). Might sound expensive, but it's still relatively cheap for what it provides.

Last edited by smoothtlk; 07-17-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

OK, in an effort to get some level of home automation control in SageTV, I am going to see if there is any interest in developing a STVi for the ISY-99/26 from Universal Devices. The ISY is an Insteon controller device that is highly dependent on Java. The UDI people have a JDSK that has everything that would be needed to communicate with the ISY over IP, control devices, and update status of devices.

Basically what would need to be done is develop a SageTV based client ap to the ISY using UDI's JDSK which can be obtained from here:

http://www.universal-devices.com/dow...n/2.7/jsdk.zip

I have no programming knowledge whatsoever so I have no idea how large of a feat this will be. My guess is if there is someone with some SageTV studio and Java experience, this may not be that complex to at least get some basic functionality into SageTV. Anyway, thought I would throw it out there if anyone is looking for a project and/or a way to integrate HA into SageTV.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM
SageTVaholic

I would love to be able to integrate Sage with my HA system which is Control4. I have Java code that has the basic functionality, such as toggling lights, etc. I haven't done coding in years so I guess I have to learn SageTV Studio to get this done.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Sage Expert

I guess the other guy gave up. I don't have an ISY, just insteon's USB controller. 2414U
Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Sage User

I am a HomeSeer user as well...
Old 02-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Sage User

MainLobby is not cheap..and upgrades even if they are fixes to the application are not cheap. I have a huge investment (including development of plug-ins) into MainLobby and I abanden the whole thing because licensing and costs got too expensive.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

The ISY/99i also has a REST API which would be very easy to program to, and probably could be done in Studio. Frankly, I wouldn't bother on trying to write something that worked directly with an Insteon PLC (such as the 2414U). But with the ISY/99i, or even mControl or HomeSeer, it may be worth the effort.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have no idea what a REST API is or the difference between that and the JDSK or they had a WDSK I think too???

Anyway, I tried to see if anyone had interest in connecting SageTV to HS. A lot of the response was...it's difficult to do and probably not worth the investment for 1 system when there are multiple HA systems out there.

With the ISY, it seems like they have very good developer tools/support. There is also the benefit of getting something that will work with both ISY and HomeSeer users (to the extent they have an ISY). The also ISY seems like a nice way to add HA capabilities for someone who is a SageTV user. Well developed, stand alone, IP based, and does need dedicated PC, etc. The ISY can do lighting, HVAC, turn on/off appliances and certain versions can also do IR transmitting. All very good add-ons to SageTV functionality if you are a couch potato.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatvent View Post
There is actually 1 HTPC system that is supported...windows media center. I know mControl works with it as well as there is a plugin for HS and I believe HAL (not sure about CQC). It's been done just need someone with the skills and ambition to want to do a plugin.
I've been using Homeseer (HS) for my home automation for years with a Mainlobby touchscreen in the kitchen. I'm not at all crazy about Mainlobby, but I've found Homeseer to be extremely user friendly, easy to use, and the support forum is awsome, not to mention the flexibility of the system.

That said, I did use the HS plugin in MS Media Center years ago when I first got into this HTPC thing. It worked great. Unfortunately Media Center and I had to part ways for a more robust HTPC front end, SageTV.

Question: If if was so easy for Homeseer to integrate a plugin into Media Center, what would it take to do the same with Sage? As I remember the Media Center plugin, it was very rudimentary with a few icons for turning house lights on and off, nothing in depth such as scheduling, etc. That was done through web access to the application.
Server: Sage WHS 7.0.9 - Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz, 4GB ram, 160GB(system) + 300GB(data) pooled HD, 400GB + 1TB non-pooled HD, MSI 9400GT video, 4-port serial, Windows Home Server 2003, 2-DTV H20 receivers, 2-HD-PVR E1 tuners, 2-Patterson usb translators for DTV usb to serial channel select control
Client 1: Sage Client 7.0.9 - Core 2 Duo E6300, 4GB ram, 400GB HD, Xonar 7.1 Audio, Blu-ray DVD, Asus 9500GT video with HDMI connect to Denon 3310CI and 60" LG Plasma, Windows 7 32bit

Last edited by sportera; 05-26-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Plugin: InControl For SageTV/HomeSeer - Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatvent View Post
Alright, I tried a catchy title that is somewhat vague as an attention grabber, hope this works. I am wondering why there aren't more home automation users in the SageTV community. Seems like a natural fit. I use HomeSeer which is a web based home automation application. It has almost limitless application to control things around the house. Most commonly, you can control lights and appliances through events and scripting and logon via the internet to turn lights on and off, etc. Example would be say you want to watch a movie, you could press a button and the lights would be dimmed, the tv turned on to the right input, dvd player turns on, drawer opens, etc.

HomeSeer is very customizable through scipts (can use java or vb) or through plug-ins (written in vb).

First, what I would envision is a HomeSeer plugin that is basically a Nielm's webserver lite. Any extenders would be added as devices that could be turned on/off and remotely controled by HS. There would also be access to the EPG and recordings to manage and schedule recordings. This would allow the extenders to be easily integrated into the HA setup without need for IR emiters, etc. and would also create a one stop shop for HS users (HA and TV all scheduling all in one spot -- on the HS web interface).

Second, a "plug-in" for Sage could also be useful. Common setup would be to have a "Home Automation" selection on the menu and be able to control devices in categories like lighting, security, HVAC, etc. Also the ability to trigger events/scenes.

I know there are other threads that have started and peetered out but I thought I would try to fan the fire one more time.
All,

I have released the initial version of InControl (SageTV/HomeSeer). Read for more information.

Please let me know of any feedback, comments, bugs and I will respond as soon as possible!

Thanks!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 01:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamanmi View Post
All,

I have released the initial version of InControl (SageTV/HomeSeer). Read for more information.

Please let me know of any feedback, comments, bugs and I will respond as soon as possible!

Thanks!!!
I've loaded both the HS plugin and sage plugin but keep getting "Invalid" when I try to validate ports 10990 and 10991. I've upgraded to recent Homeseer. My HS screen doesn't look like yours under the Installation instructions. I'm not sure how to send a picture of what my "config" screen looks like to you but I am building a list of sequencial "ID" feedback strings from my server IP under the section "Sage Server/Clients(Add)" everytime I try to Validate the installation in Sage from receive port 10991.
Server: Sage WHS 7.0.9 - Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz, 4GB ram, 160GB(system) + 300GB(data) pooled HD, 400GB + 1TB non-pooled HD, MSI 9400GT video, 4-port serial, Windows Home Server 2003, 2-DTV H20 receivers, 2-HD-PVR E1 tuners, 2-Patterson usb translators for DTV usb to serial channel select control
Client 1: Sage Client 7.0.9 - Core 2 Duo E6300, 4GB ram, 400GB HD, Xonar 7.1 Audio, Blu-ray DVD, Asus 9500GT video with HDMI connect to Denon 3310CI and 60" LG Plasma, Windows 7 32bit