SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Video and AC3

Hello,

I have some 264 which in TT play with 5.1 sound.
However, in Sage I can only get them in stereo. I have looked in the settings and searched here for some sort of an AC3 option but couldn't find it.

How do I pass it to my receiver please?

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
if you have an nvidia chipset i would recommend installing purevideo codecs from nvidia it made a huge difference for me on the same subject all surround gets passed and even some stereo gets matrixed which is nice. Dont forget to set sagetv to use the codecs in media settings. Also if you don't have nvidia chipset and your determined to use ac3 make sure you change the ac3 settings from the ac3config.exe in the sagetv folder and not the control panel since sagetv installs its own ac3 proggy for this also when you open it up the settings will probably be the same as what you have already configured but it usually takes hitting apply in this program to make them stick. I have had ac3 working before in the past but I will tell you that its hit or miss as to how much you will get out of it, and I was never totally satisfied even when I got good results
Old 06-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

I thought AC3filter was for matrixing 2 channels into 5.1?
The files I have already have 5.1 in them and so I should just be able to pass the sound though, or at least I thought I could.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Is Sage configured to use AC3Filter for its audio rendering?

If so, then there is an AC3 Filter Config app that you can run from the Sage program folder. There are options in there to enable AC3 pass through as well as the 2 channel to 5.1 channel sound mixing.

If Sage is configured to use something else like Cyberlink codecs, then its the same type of thing, but not as easy to configure depending on the codec.

-Striker-
Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have just tried to use AC3Filter.

I can get it to turn Sage into 5.1 but not pass through the 5.1 on my .mkvs.
I have tried adjusting all of the settings to see if I could stumble onto the right on but I cannot.

I thought that if I just set it to pass through 5.1 and DTS then it should.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Go to the SPDIF tab in the AC3 config utility. Check "Use SPDIF". Check "AC3" under SPDIF passthrough. (MPEG Audio and DTS if you wish.) Make sure SPDF/DTS conversion is checked "Do not convert" Uncheck AC3 encoder if yu want straight pass thru and no conversion to 5.1 or leave it checked if you want it to convert any stereo to 5.1. Leave "Detect SPDIF stream in PCM data checked if you're converting stereo to 5.1.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm not able to get 5.1 audio from .mkv files if I have my Audio Renderer in Sage set to WaveOut Device. If I set it to DirectSound Device (or any of the others), 5.1 audio with .mkv files works just like it should. So you might try that if you haven't already.

However, I have problems with the sound quality of .mp3 files when I do NOT set it to WaveOut Device. With everything else, it sounds very clippy and choppy with .mp3s. I'm still working on getting that figured out.

I'm curious.....what do most people use for their Audio Renderer in Sage?
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K