SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Dish 222K

Hi,

I am having Dish network installed today. I will be getting a 222K model and will be running component cables to an HDPVR. I also bought a USB-UIRT to change channels on the STB.

Does anyone have this model and could share setup codes or anything else that could be helpful?

It would be helpful also if I could install a 6" passive USB extender on the USB-UIRT. Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with doing this? It would be 12' total from the PC (No hub)
Any tips would be appreciated on either the HDPVR and/or USB-UIRT install
TIA
Old 05-19-2009, 10:31 AM
SageTVaholic

USB spec calls for a maximum distance of 15'. Anything wrong with getting a 15' USB cable?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

HuMan,

I have a similar setup....dish vip211, usb-uirt, and hd-pvr (rev d2).

It has been rock solid for over a year....except for the newly added hd-pvr...it has been rock solid for about 2 weeks.

I had a few issues getting Sage/USB-UIRT to "learn" the dish remote...and ended up finding a ".ir" file for the vip211 that did the trick.

I can post my .ir file if you need. I have 2 vip211's....so I have 2 .ir files...one for each STB.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpa View Post
HuMan,

I have a similar setup....dish vip211, usb-uirt, and hd-pvr (rev d2).

It has been rock solid for over a year....except for the newly added hd-pvr...it has been rock solid for about 2 weeks.

I had a few issues getting Sage/USB-UIRT to "learn" the dish remote...and ended up finding a ".ir" file for the vip211 that did the trick.

I can post my .ir file if you need. I have 2 vip211's....so I have 2 .ir files...one for each STB.

Hi,
Yes, I would like to try your IR file.
Thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
USB spec calls for a maximum distance of 15'. Anything wrong with getting a 15' USB cable?
The USB extender package said something about not exceeding 10' for low power devices (keyboard, mouse) and around 15' for high speed (printer, fax) (going from memory) That is why I asked because I thought USB-UIRT would fall in the low power device category.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMan321 View Post
The USB extender package said something about not exceeding 10' for low power devices (keyboard, mouse) and around 15' for high speed (printer, fax) (going from memory) That is why I asked because I thought USB-UIRT would fall in the low power device category.
You can always try it on a long cable. Cables don't cost very much. If it doesn't work you have a cable you can use somewhere else.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
You can always try it on a long cable. Cables don't cost very much. If it doesn't work you have a cable you can use somewhere else.
Ok, thanks.
I am going to try it. I just did not want to introduce intermittent problems into this project as I am a little nervous on how successful my HDPVR setup I am starting will go...
Old 05-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Here is my .ir file from my SageTv directory (SageTV\Common\RemoteCodes\USB-UIRT Transceiver)....i had to rename it from .ir to .txt to upload....you would need to change it...or just copy it's contents.

Also, I have two dish STB's....so i think each file has some sort of "code" so it knows which STB to tune. Can't remember exactly...maybe someone else remembers how that works.
Attached Files
File Type: txt VIP222Tuner2 - Copy.txt (1.9 KB, 369 views)
Old 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpa View Post
Here is my .ir file from my SageTv directory (SageTV\Common\RemoteCodes\USB-UIRT Transceiver)....i had to rename it from .ir to .txt to upload....you would need to change it...or just copy it's contents.

Also, I have two dish STB's....so i think each file has some sort of "code" so it knows which STB to tune. Can't remember exactly...maybe someone else remembers how that works.
Is this code really specific for the 222K model? Ifound one with some searching that when unzipped I think was a 5000 code. I don't think it is working properly for me.
Does anyone have the specific .ir code for the 222K model? (In case yours is 211 specific)
Thanks,
Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 PM

Set Your Primary Remote Address

This was driving me crazy and I finally found a solution. I had found multiple .ir files for the Dish VIP222k that people said worked for them but I'd try them and they wouldn't work. Finally, I realized that the problem is that the Dish receivers can each have their own Primary Remote Address which changes the remote codes that are used. The remote codes for the ir file above (which I've re-attached here) is for Primary Remote Address 2. You can change the Primary Remote Address by hitting menu twice on your remote which will take you into the System Info screen for your receiver. On that screen you can see what your current Primary Remote Address is. To change it to 2, hold down the Sat button on your remote until all of the buttons at the top light up. Then hit 2 and then hit #. The other lights should go off and then the Sat light should blink 3 times. After it blinks 3 times, hit the "Record" button. It's important that you hit record or otherwise you'll just change the codes on your remote and not the receiver, hitting record sends the new remote address that you just programmed your remote to to the receiver.

Once you do this, your box should work with the attached .ir file. FINALLY!
Attached Files
File Type: txt VIP222Tuner2.txt (1.9 KB, 296 views)
Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooper View Post
This was driving me crazy and I finally found a solution. I had found multiple .ir files for the Dish VIP222k that people said worked for them but I'd try them and they wouldn't work. Finally, I realized that the problem is that the Dish receivers can each have their own Primary Remote Address which changes the remote codes that are used. The remote codes for the ir file above (which I've re-attached here) is for Primary Remote Address 2. You can change the Primary Remote Address by hitting menu twice on your remote which will take you into the System Info screen for your receiver. On that screen you can see what your current Primary Remote Address is. To change it to 2, hold down the Sat button on your remote until all of the buttons at the top light up. Then hit 2 and then hit #. The other lights should go off and then the Sat light should blink 3 times. After it blinks 3 times, hit the "Record" button. It's important that you hit record or otherwise you'll just change the codes on your remote and not the receiver, hitting record sends the new remote address that you just programmed your remote to to the receiver.

Once you do this, your box should work with the attached .ir file. FINALLY!
Thank you for posting this solution Jcooper! We subscribed to Dish Network again after dropping it years ago. Your IR file worked after setting the remote and set top box to IR code 2. The file is missing "select', and maybe 'cancel'. I don't know if those would be needed.

Now, the only problem is the VIP222k set top Dish Network box automatically powers down after a time interval. I have to figure out the best method to keep the box alive continuously. If I periodically send an IR signal to the box, then the Dish Network text pops up on the screen. I don't know if there is a way to do it without intermittently having screen pop ups recorded. I haven't found a setting to turn off the automatic set top box power down feature.

Dave
Old 07-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

this thread at the MythTV wiki might be helpful?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DISHNetworkLIRCConfiguration
Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Thank you for posting this solution Jcooper! We subscribed to Dish Network again after dropping it years ago. Your IR file worked after setting the remote and set top box to IR code 2. The file is missing "select', and maybe 'cancel'. I don't know if those would be needed.

Now, the only problem is the VIP222k set top Dish Network box automatically powers down after a time interval. I have to figure out the best method to keep the box alive continuously. If I periodically send an IR signal to the box, then the Dish Network text pops up on the screen. I don't know if there is a way to do it without intermittently having screen pop ups recorded. I haven't found a setting to turn off the automatic set top box power down feature.

Dave
Dave - I have a 222 and i just send a select command before channel change and after. that way if the box is "asleep" it sends select to wake it up.... works well for me.

that works for both tv1 and tv2 on the dual tuner box.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
Dave - I have a 222 and i just send a select command before channel change and after. that way if the box is "asleep" it sends select to wake it up.... works well for me.

that works for both tv1 and tv2 on the dual tuner box.
How do I configure it to send a 'select' command before and after the number? Would a 'select' command before the channel number be enough? Do you really need a 'select' command after the channel number?

I did find something in the configuration that might do that, but I'm not sure if that is the setting or it is something else. "Setup", "Detailed Setup", "Customize", "Channel entry options", "Auto-accept after inactivity timeout", "Enabled". That option is now set to "Disabled". I just have the numbers 0 - 9 in the IR file. Would I also have to put the "select" command in the IR file?

Dave

Last edited by davephan; 07-30-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
How do I configure it to send a 'select' command before and after the number? Would a 'select' command before the channel number be enough? Do you really need a 'select' command after the channel number?

I did find something in the configuration that might do that, but I'm not sure if that is the setting or it is something else. "Setup", "Detailed Setup", "Customize", "Channel entry options", "Auto-accept after inactivity timeout", "Enabled". That option is now set to "Disabled". I just have the numbers 0 - 9 in the IR file. Would I also have to put the "select" command in the IR file?

Dave
You really do want the "select" command at the end, since the channel lengths are from one to four digits. That way it will immeniately change the channel rather than timing out.
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 07-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Sage Icon

How do I configure the USB-UIRT to send the "select" command?

I've been getting the Dish Network error messages "Programming Not Authorized". Once it is stuck on that screen, I have to manually clear it with the remote control. I think that the IR file timing might need to be tweaked. Maybe I can lock out all the channels that are not subscribed. Or maybe a "Cancel" command should be sent before the channel numbers are sent with the USB-UIRT.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dish Network channel error.jpg (55.4 KB, 6183 views)
Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
How do I configure the USB-UIRT to send the "select" command?

I've been getting the Dish Network error messages "Programming Not Authorized". Once it is stuck on that screen, I have to manually clear it with the remote control. I think that the IR file timing might need to be tweaked. Maybe I can lock out all the channels that are not subscribed. Or maybe a "Cancel" command should be sent before the channel numbers are sent with the USB-UIRT.

Dave
Here are the USB UIRT config files that I use for my two VIP 222(K)s. Remove the .txt extension in order to use them.
Attached Files
File Type: txt DishNetwork322.ir.txt (1.9 KB, 222 views)
File Type: txt DishNetwork322-1.ir.txt (2.1 KB, 215 views)
Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the IR files. I will try them. Maybe they will be more reliable control of the VIP222K set top box.

I am still trying to figure out how to include a "select" before and after the numbers that are sent with the USB-UIRT. I haven't been using set top boxes with my SageTV set for several years. I've used Dish Network and DirecTV set top boxes in the past, and never had to transmit 'select' IR signals.

One of my concerns is that it is pretty easy to get into a dialog where the set top box is trying to get you to interactively upgrade your service level. Maybe I could lock out all non-subscribed channels with the parental control to help prevent accidentally upgrading the service level if the USB-UIRT IR codes are misinterpreted.

Please let me know how to send the 'select' IR codes as part of the channel numbers sent before and after the code.

Dave
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Sage Icon

When you set the IR file, select "Remote Control Options". From there, I have the following set:

Digits Per Channel: 3
Channel Change Prefix Code: ENTER
Channel Change Confirm Code: ENTER
Delay Between Codes: 100 ms
Delay Between Channel Changes: 100 ms
IR Blaster Repeat Factor: 10

Most of thos are the defaults.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
When you set the IR file, select "Remote Control Options". From there, I have the following set:

Digits Per Channel: 3
Channel Change Prefix Code: ENTER
Channel Change Confirm Code: ENTER
Delay Between Codes: 100 ms
Delay Between Channel Changes: 100 ms
IR Blaster Repeat Factor: 10

Most of thos are the defaults.
Thanks for posting that info fidget! I don't know why I did not see that in the configuration screen before. Now, I see that. I will work on it more tomorrow.

Dave