SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Sage User

DISH on SageTV?

Ive been searching google and reading posts about trying to get HD dish or cable or anything into a media center. Everything i read seems to be from 2006 or earlier though. Im sick of searching so im just gonna come straight out with it. I have an ATI HD 650 pci right now and it works fine for analog cable. I cannot figure out howto get SageTV to recognize clear QAM on it. My TV finds 5 clear QAM channels fine. I decide that im going to go with DISH though. I saw that you can get a R5000 box for like $500 (mod) + $200 (for the vip211). Theres no way in hell im doing that. Is their any other solutions for this? An HDMI input card or anything?

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Sage Icon

I think you'd want to wait for this:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29780
Old 03-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Sage User

The HD PVR? What a waste that it takes a component input. Yuck. Anything else?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
The point is it would get ALL of your HD stations that you get on your box. Not just clear QAM. Not such a waste.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Sage User

yah i realize that, and i dont mean to sound rude. it just seems ridiculous that no one has come up with a way to get HD TV into a media center yet for a decent price. when i look at analog then switch to digital, looking at the same picture, you can tell quite a difference. almost seems like it would just be worth it to buy a dvr from dish and pay $6 a month.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Sage User

no way to use a twinhan card http://www.twinhan.com/ or anything like that to pickup dish network directly? (legally)
Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Nope, not legally. Sorry. No way to connect an access card into the mix in such a way that Dish will approve it for use.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 03-11-2008, 02:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ive been searching google and reading posts about trying to get HD dish or cable or anything into a media center. Everything i read seems to be from 2006 or earlier though. Im sick of searching so im just gonna come straight out with it. I have an ATI HD 650 pci right now and it works fine for analog cable. I cannot figure out howto get SageTV to recognize clear QAM on it. My TV finds 5 clear QAM channels fine.
I don't believe the 650 support QAM tuning, I think it's ATSC (8VSB) only (oh, I see the card does, but apparently Sage doesn't support QAM on it).

Quote:
You're not thinking composite are you? Component is just as good as HDMI for this purpose, well better because Component doesn't support encryption while HDMI does.

Quote:
yah i realize that, and i dont mean to sound rude. it just seems ridiculous that no one has come up with a way to get HD TV into a media center yet for a decent price.
$250 is the same price I payed for my first real, hardware-encoding SD tuner back in the day (the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-PCI). It's not trivial recording raw HD.

Quote:
when i look at analog then switch to digital, looking at the same picture, you can tell quite a difference. almost seems like it would just be worth it to buy a dvr from dish and pay $6 a month.
It could be, depends on your wants and needs.

Quote:
no way to use a twinhan card http://www.twinhan.com/ or anything like that to pickup dish network directly? (legally)
Dish (and DirecTV) encrypt basically 99% of their channels. While Dish uses basically a standard DVB-S system, their encryption is tweaked enough that it doesn't work with the DVB-S conditional access modules and they don't support any PC devices to decrypt their signals. It's quite annoying frankly.

Last edited by stanger89; 03-11-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Dish (and DirecTV) encrypt basically 99% of their channels. While Dish uses basically a standard DVB-S system, their encryption is tweaked enough that it doesn't work with the DVB-S conditional access modules and they don't support any PC devices to decrypt their signals. It's quite annoying frankly.
Thats such a shame that you cant just use a dish card and put it in a dvb-s pci card slot and be able to watch TV. Ive read that dish & dtv are working on something like that but rumors have been floating around awhile. Even if the hauppauge unit works great, you still have to deal with screen overlay.

BTW, wheres the list of supported cards for QAM in Sagetv?

thanks for the responses
Old 03-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
wheres the list of supported cards for QAM in Sagetv?
I posted that for you yesterday here.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.