SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Firmware upgrade via telnet ?

My HD-200's are in my equipment rack in the basement, so it's a pain to use the normal upgrade system (I remote control my extenters via IP so it needs two people as i can't see the screen and use the remote).

I regularly reboot my extenders by telneting in... is there a script or similar to force a firmware update from the shell ? also all the setup stuff that's done before the extender connects to the server, is that accessable as a config file ?

It would be great to be able to set this thing up completly without IR, it's sooo old fashioned ;-)

thanks... Will
Old 03-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Sage Fanatic

+1
good idea............i have media players in the bedroom, family room and basement so a centralized
script based method of updating them would be quite cool
Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Sage Expert

Whilst I can't completely answer your question, I know one bit. telnet doesn't have any file transfer protocol built in. So you'd need some other means to get them on there before initiating an upgrade. I've looked around it and its a pretty quirky version of Linux, its a shame it doesn't have apt-get, ssh etc
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 03-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
cd /tmp
wget http://download.sage.tv/firmware/filename.bin
/utils/flashcp -v filename.bin /dev/mtd/2
Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

ok I got the file over... I can't find the flashcp app is that HD100 specific ? is there a similar command for the stp200 ?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Sage Icon

You can also use the Web User Interface. It has a remote control popup. You can move the highlighted selection around using the arrow keys. I've done this myself to update the extenders when I didn't have my IR repeater system up and running. So I know it works. I simply sat on the couch with my laptop and was able to watch the screen and control the extender which was located in a wiring closet in the basement.

I'd have to say that this way is probably the easiest route IMHO rather than getting into command lines, linux, etc.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

didn't think you could get at it from the web ui when doing the upgrade... anyhow, i just need the last step... getting to understand the linux distro a bit, but there looks to have been a specific app for the upgrade on the hd100...
Old 03-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Sage Icon

It might technically loose connection while actually doing the update (I honestly don't know), but all you need to do is get to the correct screen, search for and then download the update. The flash process is completely automated once you start it, so you don't need to interact with it while the update is occuring. I might have had to reconnect the web interface after the update - I just don't remember specifically. I know it worked for me when I got my extender and had to flash to the latest version and there wasn't anything special you had to do to make work. In otherwords, it should be pretty self explainatory.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 03-24-2009 at 11:22 AM.