SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Sage User

Sage TV Crashing

I am using the latest stable build along with the lcd status monitor plugin. I am finding the fairly regularily when i sometimes switch between the analogue and digital tuners and when i switch from live TV to a video file in the media centre sage tv crashes to the desktop. Any ideas why this is happening. This is starting to annoy me as this is the second time it's happened.

Some more info. It seems the Sage executable is faulting in the ntdll.dll module according to the event log.

Last edited by lcdguy; 03-09-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Sounds like you've got a problem with your NT kernel:

What is ntdll.dll?

The ntdll.dll file is a file created by Microsoft that has a description of "NT Layer DLL" and is the file that contains NT kernel functions.

This file is located in the c:\windows\system32 or c:\winnt\system32 directory and can also be found in the c:\i386 directory.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Sage User

so i guess it would be easier in the long run to reinstall and see if it happens after that eh.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Don't know if it's the same exact issue or not, but I've had similar random crashes to the desktop twice now (not two crashes - but two times when it frequently crashed to the desktop). When I first installed the trial of Sage about a month ago it worked fine at first. Within a couple of hours of initial install, I loaded SageMC. I immediately started having these crashes. They would happen immediately upon selecting "Watch" on either a live or recorded show. I'd restart Sage, and the first show would be good. Usually on the second show I tried to change to, I'd get the crash. Almost gave up on Sage completely right out of the box. Since I wasn't much invested in configuring at that point, I did a full reinstall (including manually deleting the SageTV directory). It then worked fine for most of the following month - and I eventually had the courage to move to SageMC again. A couple of days ago, the crashes started again (after I installed either the webserver or comskip). Finally gave up last night and did a full reinstall again. I'm back to the default STV with no plugins, and it seemed to be working okay for the limited test time I had. I'm going to leave it as is for a while and slowly add by my customizations - hopefully I don't get the same problem along the way.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Sage User

i might try that first then. If it's the plugins then the plugins have to go.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
i might try that first then. If it's the plugins then the plugins have to go.
You might want to try the "Simple Properties Reset" approach first. Instructions can be found here. Unfortunately I didn't remember this before I did my full reinstall. It may have worked for me. If my problem recurs, I'll surely try this first, since it was a huge hassle to start from scratch.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Sage User

thanks for the hint. But i too have jsut cleaned my htpc of all sage references. i will remember that for next time.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM

I too am getting frequent crashes, or more so hangs with 6.5. My problem occurs most often when clicking on the program guide button, selecting a program or by just pushing Watch Live TV. Sagetv is dead in the water. Just sitting there with the load icon spinning away. I can fix this by stopping the service and restarting the service and program. I'm on a trial right now and would really love to see SageTV stable on my system. I love the program. Using Media Center in Canada is just useless if you want Clear QAM or ATSC.

I'm using a HVR-1250 Hybrid tuner on a Dell Studio 540 running Vista 64.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:40 AM

Freeze when changing channels

I am also having this problem. If I have been watching live TV for more than a few minutes, SageTV will freeze when I try to change the channel. I must then stop and restart the service. This has only occurred since I updated to 6.5.9 from 6.4.8.

Vista Business x64
8GB Ram
ATI 650 Capture Card
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 PM

I stopped using the SageTV service and it works just fine now.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Sage Icon

I've had two odd crashes, each one on a different client in the past 48 hours. Each happened while playing back a .ts file from an HD-PVR (not the same recording). It starts as the video winking in & out (i.e. TV going to blank), audio still playing fine, then starts to stutter and finally the machine croaks and reboots. These PC's have been solid up until this. Nothing has been changed, wait... I did update Java on one of them. Hmmm.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL