SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Sage User

HP EX470 WHS, HD-PVR advice needed

I'm getting ready to become a 1st time Sage user. Here's what I think would make the best setup for me:

HP EX470 WHS - in the office/closet
HD-PVR - plugged into the WHS
Sage HD200 Extender - on the TV in the living room

My main reason for going with Sage is because it works with HD-PVR. I will not be watching/recording live TV through the WHS - I have a STB/DVR for that. WHS will be used archiving and serving our DVD/music/photo/movie collection digitally, and maybe the occasional torrent download.

I know that HP is coming out with a new WHS, but it looks to me that the current version is better, mainly because it supports port multiplication via the eSATA port. This will allow me to add 4 more 1.5TB drives to this server, which is a huge plus that the new version won't allow. Any advice from anyone who has done this - is my thinking correct here?

I know that I'll need to replace the HP EX470 WHS RAM with a 2MB module. Is it wise or necessary to upgrade the processor to adequately run Sage and rip DVD's to the WHS?

https://www.hartmannhome.net/dasblog...PUUpgrade.aspx

Any other advice you have or direction you could point me in for more advice in using Sage with WHS, an HD-PVR, and accessing the server with an HD200 extender?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
if you can find a LE-1640 Orleans 2.6GHz that will help alot, the stock processor isn't really put in use for EX47x & sage.

Changing the CPU will void the HP warranty, its worth it, just check with various WHS sites about upgrading. Make sure you have R02 or the latest R03 bios revision before tacking a CPU upgrade.

IMHO

A $330 EX470 with $28 2gig stick of ram and $50 LE-1640 cpu is better than the updated EX48x unit coming out, at least there's more room to play with in turns of hardware upgrades. And software can always be upgraded.

I have added 4 1TB drives as a dumping ground for my sage setup. You shouldn't have any issues with Sage and WHS, its just like running on XP, THe HD-PVR should work, but I would recommend reading a bit more on this forum about drivers problems (if there is still any) I can't help you out there, my HD-PVR is stuck in shipping somewhere from RMA land.

goodluck

Last edited by Motofreak75; 01-03-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Sage User

Where do you find a $330 HP WHS nowadays? I can only find one in the mid-400's right now.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

You might want to just build your own WHS instead of buying/upgrading the HP WHS especially since the Sage requirements are higher than the WHS min specs, especially for HD.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Sage User

I have HP EX470 WHS with connected 2 HD-PVR units and 1 analog USB ATI TV wonder 650. As you already pointed it requires 2 GB of RAM upgrade. I have not upgraded the CPU.
I have no issue whatsoever. I don't have any extenders. Intead I have connected 2 PC clients.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmar View Post
I have HP EX470 WHS with connected 2 HD-PVR units and 1 analog USB ATI TV wonder 650. As you already pointed it requires 2 GB of RAM upgrade. I have not upgraded the CPU.
I have no issue whatsoever. I don't have any extenders. Intead I have connected 2 PC clients.
I'm just going by Sage's own data:

http://www.sagetv.com/requirements.html?sageSub=tv
Quote:
For HDTV Playback: 3Ghz processor or higher or a slower processor in combination with a video card utilizing DXVA support and using a decoder which supports DXVA
Which far exceeds the minimum specs for WHS and HP's stock specs...
Old 01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
The Ex47x is perfect for someone that has Sage STBs or Sage Clients , I wouldn't try it with Place shifting though, those specs are for playing/viewing HD content, its doesn't take a lot of CPU power to serve up HD content, just network bandwidth and good hard drives.

Wified:

Actual Office max was clearing them out at $299 a few weeks ago I ordered one online. Deals can be had you just have to search online a lot if your in the market.