SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Sage User

HD PVR - Yes or No

I am currently looking at purchasing the new Haupauge HD PVR. I just wanted to see if you guys would recommend the device or suggest to stay away from the device due to issues?

I plan to use it with SageTV and maybe BeyondTV depending on how SageTV works with the rest of my equipment.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes. Buy it. There have been some with overheating and locking up issues mostly in the earlier batches of the HD-PVRs - if you happen to experience that issue though just send it back to Hauppauge for an exchange. Hauppauge has been very good about taking care of this for people.

I've had no problems with mine - and getting all HDTV, Digital, CATV content to my HTPC has made me a very happy HTPC owner.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm using it with stereo audio and have no issues (knock wood). My only beef with it is that the color calibration settings don't seem to be working.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

My experience, stay away. Just received my E1 revision unit from RMA and the video stutters like crazy.

The other option may be to use the original drivers and RCA stereo connectors. At least then there was only two problems, lip sync at 1080 and stutter on CNN's crawler with 720.

I am planning on going back to stereo, 720 and crawler stutter myself, because I am tired of screwing with drivers and RMA's.

but I would just use a solid set up like the R5000 if at all possible.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:40 PM
SageTVaholic

To get a larger sampling of how well SageTV users like their Hauppauge HD-PVRs, check out this thread. I'm including some of the feedback from that thread in the review of the HD-PVR I'm finishing up over the Christmas break.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

I agree with the other users. It should be worth it if they get all of the issues worked out. When it works it works great.

I had one from the original batch, and I had to RMA it. I got another one (Revision C2) which was much better, but I had to RMA that one to. I am on my third unit (Revision D3 I think) which seems to be pretty stable, except like others I have been unable to get 5.1 working reliably. I am currently using stereo only.

One thing that really annoys me is it seems that the original release product was no where ready for prime time. It seems pretty obvious that they rushed this product out the door:
1. There was "no branding" on the device. (I guess they were to ashamed of the original release to put there name on it)
2. The LEDs on the lib of the device were missing on the original units
3. Major heat issues with original unit
4. No 5.1 Support in the original driver
5. They had LEFT/RIGHT audio switched
6. ......I am sure I am missing some other issues
Old 12-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Sage Expert

I have one of the later revisions (D3 I think). It's been pretty much flawless since I hooked it up. I may be just lucky but with the server just doing recording and the HD100 for playback and it's been about as plug-and-play as you get.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

I got a C1 version and it is working flawlessly with 5.1 sound. I am using the HD extenders exclusively for playback.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have a C2 and it works great. All my stuttering problems went away a couple of betas ago and I can use either 720p or 1080i.

Clients: HD200, HD300, Win7 Desktop

Capture Devices: Hauppauge Colossus & 1 HDHR, TV Service: Verizon FIOS
Old 12-22-2008, 08:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonen View Post
I got a C1 version and it is working flawlessly with 5.1 sound. I am using the HD extenders exclusively for playback.
Me too, I'm tentatively saying mine's perfect with the delay after tuning=4000 tweak. Actually it's been quite good since the WHQL drivers.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm running a C2 unit and it has been rock solid for me running the stereo audio connectors. It is working so well that I haven't tried the 5.1 audio as I am afraid i will cause problems. Mine is also in a rather cool basement so that probably helps. I have my STB set to 1080i output and playback is on extenders only. I think a lot of the issues of playback comes from PC playback as that can be a lot more difficult to get everything right.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 12-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Sage Expert

I say yes get one, so long as you can deal with the risk of problems and bugs, even with Sage HD extenders. I've gone through 2 RMAs (on the HD-PVR) and till have a unit that occasionally loses the signal and I have to power cycle a few times a week. I still have playback issues on the extenders but I can work around it.

I've wasted hours upon hours screwing around with the Sage/HD-PVR combo trying to get it to work properly. That said, I've stuck with the HD-PVR and it mostly works now.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

There is one issue that hasn't been brought up that may or may not affect your decision depending upon the source of your TV signal.

There is definitely some sort of interaction between Verizon FIOS TV service and the HD PVR with respect to high definition audio. Hauppauge is aware of the problem but, to date, does not have a solution for it nor do they have any idea when they will have a solution.

Optical audio input from the Verizon FIOS STB to the HD PVR produces audio distortion/echo with early rev's of the HD PVR. Hauppauge thought they had a solution to this problem and the C3 and E1 rev's of the HD PVR do eliminate this distortion/echo. Unfortunately, whatever Hauppauge did to elimnate the distortion/echo just replaced it with a progressive audio/video synchronization problem. Audio and Video are approximately 1/2 second out of sync after 15 minutes of continuous play/recording and are approximately 4seconds out of sync by 2 hours. In addition, I'm aware of 2 C3 units that also had similar audio/video synchronization issues on analog audio input, rendering these units totally useless. Whether these were just 2 bad units or this is a common problem of the C3 rev, I don't know.

If you don't have Verizon, I'd definitely recommend the HD PVR.

If you do have Verizon, then you have to decide whether you'll be satisified with 2 channel analog audio until Hauppauge can resolve the high definition audio problem with the optical signal from the Verizon STB.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Sage User

My Source of signal will be DirectTV. H20 Unit I believe the one with out the DVR built in. It appears that maybe I should wait abit before taking the leap into HD PVR. I am still actually trying to get my server to playback H.264 files with out giving me any issues. It is like rolling the dice. Sometimes I can get playback with no issues other times I run into shuttering.

Thank You for all the information!!

Happy Holidays!!