SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:58 AM

HELP ME CONFIGURE MY PVR/DVR

I first want to thank everyone that replies to this post.

Second I am wanting to build my own PVR/DVR and want suggestions on a set up based on info below.

I want the HD PC/Server to be a server. (Server will be by down stairs TV)
HD video card?
I have 4 TV's (1 down stairs, 3 up stairs)
I want to record and or watch 3 channels at once
We have Comcast cable (Basic) We need no cable box.

I would love to say Money isn't a issue but honestly when isn't it.

I would like to the best money can buy within reason.

Another question I have is what is the best HD Media Center Extender?
SageTV HD Theater
Linksys DMA2200
D-LINK DSM-750
HP x280n MediaSmart Connect
Any suggestions??

Small compact case?

Again thank you for all your help.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Sage Icon

If the server downstairs will be connected to the TV and you'll be watching it...then you'll want to spec that server with the gear that will play HD content. An 8600GT is a good, inexpensive card. If your server is just going to "serve", then you can do a minimal build. It will be up to you to decide whether it's cheaper to go with a beefy server/client...or a low spec server and an HD Extender for that area. You want 3 tuners that will do analog cable...back when that would have been a PVR500 and a 150, but now you may want to look at a Hauppauge 2250 with either a 1600 or 1800 (as a bonus you can put up an OTA antenna to pull in ATSC HD Locals). The rest of the TV's should Have an HD Extender from Sage (and you'll need to make sure each location has a network connection). That's the least expensive layout I can think of.
(If anything happens to analog cable, we'll both need new gear )

P
Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Sage Expert

I'm kind of in the same boat on suggestions.

Although, I wouldn't waste time bulding a computer to playback HD content. It will be much easier/cheaper to just build a minimal server (get a motherboard with an IGP). Put the analog tuners along with the hard drives in the machine. Now, go get 4 Sage TV HD Theater boxes and hook each one up to a television. Done. $800 + cheap computer with tuners/hard drive(s).

Plus, having the computer correctly playback HD can be a hit or miss thing, and the HD Theaters "just work". No worrying about which codec to use, what resolutions, what settings for noise reduction/edge enhancement.......

Enjoy!