SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 11-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Sage Icon

My 6.5 yr figured out SageTV. Now she has 21 shows recorded

My 6.5 year old figured out SageTV. We currently have 40 different shows recorded, and 21 of them are her/her sisters. What the hell was I thinking by showing her how to use this?

And for those of you who couldn't even name 21 kids shows, check it out:

1) Dragon Tales
2) The Berenstein Bears
3) Maya & Miguel
4) Charlie & Lola
5) Oswald
6) Caillou
7) Imagination Movers
8) Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
9) The Backyardigans
10) Go, Diego, Go!
11) Dora the Explorer
12) Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!
13) Lazytown
14) The Wonder Pets!
15) The Upside Down Show
16) Higglytown Heroes
17) Little Bill
18) Clifford the Big Red Dog
19) Clifford's Puppy Days
20) The Cheetah Girls: One World
21) Madeline

that is wrong on so many levels...
Old 11-28-2008, 06:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
My 6.5 year old figured out SageTV. We currently have 40 different shows recorded, and 21 of them are her/her sisters. What the hell was I thinking by showing her how to use this?

And for those of you who couldn't even name 21 kids shows, check it out:

1) Dragon Tales
2) The Berenstein Bears
3) Maya & Miguel
4) Charlie & Lola
5) Oswald
6) Caillou
7) Imagination Movers
8) Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
9) The Backyardigans
10) Go, Diego, Go!
11) Dora the Explorer
12) Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!
13) Lazytown
14) The Wonder Pets!
15) The Upside Down Show
16) Higglytown Heroes
17) Little Bill
18) Clifford the Big Red Dog
19) Clifford's Puppy Days
20) The Cheetah Girls: One World
21) Madeline

that is wrong on so many levels...
Mine figured it out at about the same age. It cost me a NAS with a TB of storage.

Make sure they learn how to delete......

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Make sure they learn how to delete......
...There own shows, NOT yours. I'm using sagemc (not sure if you can do with the default STV), and you can set max recordings and set to auto delete if watched. I have a 2 year old but I hope by the time he is 6, there will be an option in sage to lock him out of my recordings, so he don't F things up for me.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:16 AM
SageTVaholic

For a while I would delete the kids shows after they were watched. Soon I noticed there were less and less watched shows to delete and I noticed my available video space was getting smaller. That's how I realized they had learned to Archive. Never underestimate the intelligence of a 6 year old who wants to watch Clifford over and over and over and ......

Oh yes, I then started to think that maybe the Sage UI was not so bad after all ....

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Sage Icon

heh, that's pretty funny.

Everytime I try to move to SageMC, the wife & kids who've mastered the default UI complain. It's easier to just give in and stick with the default GUI than listen to that whining.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Sage Icon

hehe I'm still the packet nazi.

My kids favs are:

I love Lucy
Mork and Mindy (you just missed a marathon BTW, I picked up 40 episodes)
Little house on the Prarie
I dream of Jeannie
Leave it to Beaver
Bewitched

From this decade:

Star Wars the Clone wars
King of the Hill
How it's Made
How Stuff Works
Nova
According to Jim
Everybody Loves Raymond

Old 12-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Sage Icon

Heh - great thread. It ought to be copied into some "parenting" magazine.

If there's one thing that kids seem to have in common, it's that they want ALL the shows available, but will only watch a few of them, OVER AND OVER.

But of course, if you try to get rid of the stuff they don't watch OVER AND OVER, they will notice and throw a fit.

Funny story, totally off-topic: A few years ago, I am at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival ("JazzFest"), with some friends. We're planning on catching acts like Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Jimmy Buffett, Dave Matthews... eating some great food, checking out some cool Dixieland Jazz, etc. Well, my good friend brought along his (then) 4-yr-old son. And he just HAD to go see this local New Orleans act that was opening the day on the main stage, called "The Imagination Movers". So we did. It was these super-energetic guys and they were jumping around and singing like a boy band on crack, wearing matching jumpsuits, and they had all the parents and kids just rocking. At one point, I remember something like "When we say 'peanut', you say 'butter'! Peanut! (butter!) Peanut! (butter!)... when we say 'pepperoni', you say 'pizza'! Pepperoni! (pizza!)" ....you get the idea. It was easily the strangest sight I had ever seen at JazzFest, and there are a LOT of weird sights at JazzFest. Anyway, my friend explains to me that they are this local group that had become very popular and had always performed in the Kids Tent at the Fest, but they were in negotiations with the Disney Channel for a show, so now they suddenly qualified for "main stage status". Anyway... I can say "I saw them when...."
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
...There own shows, NOT yours. I'm using sagemc (not sure if you can do with the default STV), and you can set max recordings and set to auto delete if watched. I have a 2 year old but I hope by the time he is 6, there will be an option in sage to lock him out of my recordings, so he don't F things up for me.
"But Dad I had to delete your 20 episodes of CSI. I needed room for the Hogans Heroes marathon on TvLand." "I also had to delete your scheduled recordings for Thursday night so it could record HH."

Looks like Dad needs more tuners and HD space. Just another reason it would be nice for families if SageTV could have users that have their own recording space so that they a) can't mess with other family members recordings and b) don't have to wade through a bunch of other family members "junk" to find their recordings. (My child is grown up and out of the house and I'm divorced so I dont' have those problems. SageTV is MINE, ALL MINE!! )
Old 12-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Heh - great thread. It ought to be copied into some "parenting" magazine.

If there's one thing that kids seem to have in common, it's that they want ALL the shows available, but will only watch a few of them, OVER AND OVER.

But of course, if you try to get rid of the stuff they don't watch OVER AND OVER, they will notice and throw a fit.
Man, if I tried to cut them down to 3-5 episodes per show, they'd have my proverbial ass in a sling. Actually, i'd be concerned they'd do what I would do, and figure out how to remove their restriction but add one to my stuff :-)

Quote:
"The Imagination Movers"... It was easily the strangest sight I had ever seen at JazzFest, and there are a LOT of weird sights at JazzFest. Anyway, my friend explains to me that they are this local group that had become very popular and had always performed in the Kids Tent at the Fest, but they were in negotiations with the Disney Channel for a show...
We have 17 episodes of Imagination Movers recorded, I have to sit through one every 1-2 days as they like to watch TV in the FamRm on the 50" plasma, which is where I sit and chill with the laptop. I'll tell you one thing for sure - they haven't gotten any more normal since the early days, that is one strange group. But the kids certainly do love it though.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
...Imagination Movers ... they haven't gotten any more normal since the early days, that is one strange group.
They ARE from New Orleans.
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Try explaining to your four year old that while on vacation he cannot just watch whatever he wants whenever he wants.

Danny: Daddy, I want Go Diego Go.

Me: Son, we cannot watch that here, at least not right this minute.

Danny: (brow furrowed) Why not? Just turn on the tv and click on it.

Jack (the six year old): It's 'cause we don't have the sagetv here Danny. Hey, why don't we have the sagetv here Daddy?

Me: Because the DSL connection here is too slow to stream using place shifter.

Jack: What?

Danny: Just turn on the tv and click on it!!

Every time we go on vacation it is the same thing.....

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 12-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Sage Icon

You know those email forwards that you get every so often where it lists all of the things that "this year's incoming class of college" never knew? Like, at one point, it was that they have always had microwave ovens... always had a Walkman... always had cable TV... that Reagan was president when they were born... CDs had replaced records... etc, etc.....

I guess many of today's young kids will never have known "not having TV programs on demand"....
Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Try explaining to your four year old that while on vacation he cannot just watch whatever he wants whenever he wants.

Danny: Daddy, I want Go Diego Go.

Me: Son, we cannot watch that here, at least not right this minute.

Danny: (brow furrowed) Why not? Just turn on the tv and click on it.

Jack (the six year old): It's 'cause we don't have the sagetv here Danny. Hey, why don't we have the sagetv here Daddy?

Me: Because the DSL connection here is too slow to stream using place shifter.

Jack: What?

Danny: Just turn on the tv and click on it!!

Every time we go on vacation it is the same thing.....

Jesse
You're one step ahead of me - when I did we couldn't pause the live broadcast, my 5 yr old (at the time) said:

"Why Daddy? Did you break it again?"

Take a guess how long it took for my wife to stop abusing me about that one...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
You're one step ahead of me - when I did we couldn't pause the live broadcast, my 5 yr old (at the time) said:

"Why Daddy? Did you break it again?"

Take a guess how long it took for my wife to stop abusing me about that one...
I feel your pain brother. My wife and kids are starting to understand that it is'nt that I am good at fixing things so much as I am not afraid to break them.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 12-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I feel your pain brother. My wife and kids are starting to understand that it is'nt that I am good at fixing things so much as I am not afraid to break them.

Jesse
I try to convince the wife it's not about breaking stuff, it's like construction - imagine how cool it will be after i'm done!

I wrote up my system architecture for another forum, check it out. Now imagine how damn hard it is for me to do all this work without actually turning off the SageTV/CQC server, or keeping downtime to a minimum. And, when CQC isn't working, my remote doesn't work as I use it to intelligently route the play command to the device in use (SageHDExtender, DVD, CD).

Although I gotta admit, the entire system really is very very stable, it only has issues when I decide something must be tweaked. Which I only really do every 48-72 hours :-)

Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Now imagine how damn hard it is for me to do all this work without actually turning off the SageTV/CQC server, or keeping downtime to a minimum.
Do what I do. Don't sleep.

Nice setup, BTW.

Jesse
HD300 X1