SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Recording Quality - Will this Work?

I have two HDHomerun tuners (1 device) and two HD-PVRs. I would like SageTV to always select one of the HDHomerun tuners, if available, to record some of my favorites.

I have set the HDHomerun tuners recording quality to "DVD Standard Play". I have also set some of my favorites to record at "DVD Standard Play" from a specific channel.

1. Does Sage actually use the recording quality setting as a determinate in selecting a tuner?

If so.....

2. Will SageTV honor the setup given an HDHomerun actually records the raw transport stream and is not affected by the tuner's recording quality in setup?

The reason I would like to do this is I would like my HD-PVRs to share some channels with the HDHomerun. I want to record from the HDHomerun first so the HD-PVRs will still be available for premium channels.

Thanks
Rich
Old 10-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Sage Expert

Look how to modify the encoder "merit". That's how I did it - in the sage.properties file.

higher number means sage will sue that tuner first if available and it recieves the channel to record.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:09 PM
SageTVaholic

The recording quality setting does nothing to the HDHR. It directly captures the incoming stream without modification. No way to change quality.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:51 PM
SageTVaholic

He's not trying to change the recording quality. He's hoping that choosing a specific quality setting, even though it won't affect the recording, will affect the tuner selection algorithm.

My understanding is that it won't. Tuner selection is controlled by merit. There's no attempt to match tuners to programs based on quality settings. Rather, the tuner quality setting is just a fallback in case the favorite or manual recording does not specify a quality. (Similarly, if the tuner doesn't specify, then the global default quality is used.)
Old 10-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

There is a setting for this:
Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Enforce recording quality in schedule.

In v6.4.8, this defaults to "no" so that quality settings for Favs/Manual Recordings don't prevent recording them on the HD-PVR.

I would use the tuner merit property, but you could try this setting to block recording certain Favs on the HD-PVR. Just remember that you've changed the setting if/when you get conflicts & the HD-PVR is available, otherwise you may wonder why there is a conflict when a tuner looks like it could be used.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
My understanding is that it won't. Tuner selection is controlled by merit. There's no attempt to match tuners to programs based on quality settings. Rather, the tuner quality setting is just a fallback in case the favorite or manual recording does not specify a quality. (Similarly, if the tuner doesn't specify, then the global default quality is used.)

Actually Jeff told me that it "can", that (for example) specifying an H.264 encoding profile for a favorite will cause Sage to prefer H.264 capable encoders (ie HD PVR) for that favorite.

I'd guess though, that that logic is bypassed for digital tuners.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks

Thanks All,

I have....

1. Set the merit property of the tuners.
2. Set the recording qualities for each tuner.
3. Set "Enforce recording quality in schedule" to "Yes".
4. Specified specific recording qualities for my favotites.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Rich