SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Sage Icon

Red face record already in-progress show with different recording quality

I think this is possible but I'm missing it somehow. A show is already in progress. I want to record it, but I want to record it with MPEG-2 Max instead of my default DVD quality.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 06-24-2007, 11:20 PM
SageTVaholic

If the show is already recording, you can't go back and re-record the beginning of the show at higher quality (at least not without a time machine). The best you could do would be to break the recording into segments of different quality. Or am I misunderstanding the question?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Sage Icon

No, I mean the show is already in progress but not recording. I want to start recording it, but I want to specify a different recording quality than the default.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 06-25-2007, 02:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Assuming that you cannot go back in time...

It is not currently possible to setup a manual recording for a show that is currently in progress, and after it is setup, change the recording quality (changing of rec-quality is not permitted for recordings in progress)

The alternative is to setup a timed record, starting at now+1min
Go into rec-sched
Change rec quality
Stop liveTV
Wait for recording to start
View it (If required)
Old 06-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Or, change the default recording quality, start the manual recording, then reset the default quality.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 AM
SageTVaholic

But just to be completely clear, you won't get the whole show by doing this. You'll just get a part of it starting at the point where you start recording. This may seem obvious, but I want to make sure you're not talking about a program you've been watching from the beginning on Live TV, and then hit Record partway through. In that case you will get the whole program (which has been recording all along), at whatever quality was in effect when you started watching. There's no way to go back and retroactively change that quality.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Sage Icon

This is one of those quirks in SageTV that bothers me once in a while. You'd figure it should be something that's easy to do, but it isn't. Here's an example:

Go into the guide. Look for a show already in progress but not recorded. Click or press OK on the show. It will pop up an Options window. In this window, it gives you a bunch of options. But it's missing the options to set recording quality and padding.

I think these two options should be added so the user can adjust it before recording a show, regardless whether it's already in progress or not. I realize that there are ways to get around this, one way is as Opus said, changing the default quality setting, but it isn't ideal.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Sage Icon

Maya has it correct.

This particular program was a movie that I really like, and it was only a few minutes into it. Setting up a manual recording is a chore, so I wish there was a feature "Record with Options" which allowed setting all the relevant options for an already in-progress program, and then kicking off the recording.