SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

flatten recording disk - put files back. Will wiz.bin still work

Hi

I am planning to back my recordings, flatten my recording disk and then put the files back.

Just to check - that shouldn't have an impact on my wiz.bin and sage operation should it?

thanks
paul
Old 08-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Sage Expert

Believe you need to shut down sage service and not restart until after the recordings are back in place in the same location i.e. same drive and path
Old 08-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Administrator

As long as they are in a video recording dir, you _should_ be fine when SageTV restarts. But, SageTV may still need to see the old recording dir paths in order to determine that the recordings are no longer in their old locations.

Just be sure to keep a backup copy of wiz.bin until you are sure things are moved successfully.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

This went smoothly. Backed up the recordings, flattened the disk and put the recordings back where they were. Sage was off the entire time.

All seems to work as normal.

thanks
paul
Old 08-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Sage Icon

This may be off topic, but I can't say I've ever heard anyone using the term 'flatten' for formatting/erasing a Drive .

(Not trying to say anything bad about it, but the topic, when read like I did, don't think you could put the files back after you flatten the drive, they don't tend to spin very well after that ).
Old 08-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
This may be off topic, but I can't say I've ever heard anyone using the term 'flatten' for formatting/erasing a Drive .
"flatten" means reformatting ?
Old 08-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yep, flatten means format here. I did it because the disk was fragmented

Pretty sure that I didn't make it up but I wouldn't swear to that
Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Sage Icon

was your disk's file system arranged with 64KB blocks? If so, I thought this meant that fragmentation wasn't an issue.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

The disk was formatted with a 64KB allocation unit. Some of the recordings were split across >2000 fragments according to the XP defrag tool.

The only time I noticed a problem was when transferring files over the wired lan. The disk sounded as tho it was working much harder and was unable to feed a 100Mbs connection.

I have 3 tuners and have had all three recording whilst watching a previous recording without issue

paul