SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Next recording date/time or hh:mm from now - can this be displayed?

(I've searched around here but haven't seen what I'd like to do. If I missed, please point me to threads or documentation, thank you!)

I am running SageTV Media Center (as a tray icon, not a service) 6.3.10 for Windows. I have the 'hidden extra UI features' turned on and the default of Malore-style extras.

Two things I would really like to have. I am not experienced enough to create a customization myself (yet). Some day, maybe So for now, does the capability or customization already exist for these wishes?

1) Can I hover my mouse over the SageTV systray icon, and see the date/time of the next recording (if not currently recording), or the hours/minutes from now until the next recording? The balloon help just shows "SageTV" if it isn't recording.

2) I like the Disk Space Bar extra inside SageTV. But I would like to configure it with similar information -- date/time or hours/minutes from now, when the next recording is scheduled. Even if SageTV is currently recording, I'd like to know when is the NEXT one, past the active recording. So a little different info from #1 above.

What I'm after is to quickly determine how much time I have available to shut windows down, install new programs or upgrade existing programs, reboot, etc. and not impact my current recording schedule.

Of course I can open SageTV and go look at my upcoming recording schedule, this is what I do now. But it would be nice to hover on the systray icon or open the main menu and see that info at a glance.

TIA for any help or info, thanks and regards,
--pseudonym
Old 03-19-2008, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

All available customizations are listed in the Downloads section of the forum. In particular there's a SageTray add-on that may do what you want.

I have to say, though, that for most us the goal is to do as little maintenance and rebooting of the Sage server as possible. So if you're doing it often enough that saving a few seconds is a big deal, then something seems fishy with that.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
I have to say, though, that for most us the goal is to do as little maintenance and rebooting of the Sage server as possible. So if you're doing it often enough that saving a few seconds is a big deal, then something seems fishy with that.
Hi GK, thanks for reply.

Please, with all respect, just because I use my PC or Sage differently than "most", my goals are no less valid than anyone else's, and don't need to meet anyone else's requirements but mine.

I don't use a "sage server" -- my one PC has everything on it including SageTV.

Sometimes I am trying out new software or upgrading to versions of software I regularly use, and the installer wants a reboot to complete the installation. Or I may wish to reboot anyway, because of prior experience with this software, even if it doesn't ask me.

Sometimes I uninstall software, and the uninstall requests a reboot to complete the uninstallation.

These are just some examples, there are others. These situations don't seem "fishy" to me, at least not any more than Windows is naturally :-)

In any event, I would just like a quick way to know if anything I undertake might encroach on SageTV's recording schedule.

I looked through the available customization list, but I did not spot the tray customization you've mentioned. Thank you for that tip, I will go have a look at that one.

Thanks and regards,
--pseudonym
Old 03-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
In particular there's a SageTray add-on that may do what you want.
Ah, I see why I missed it. SageTray requires Nielm's webserver, which I haven't installed. Not that the webserver doesn't look nifty but I think I'll hold off on that for now.

Thanks and regards,
--pseudonym
Old 03-19-2008, 06:27 PM
SageTVaholic

I didn't mean to imply that you're using the product wrong; sorry if it came off that way. But we do occasionally get posts from users with dedicated servers who seem to feel they need daily reboots to get Sage to run stably, and I wanted to make it clear that that's not normal.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:46 PM
SageTVaholic

pseudonym,

Nielm's Dynamic Menus puts the recording info right on the main page.
check it out.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...?do=file&id=29
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...r09mds_v30.jpg

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-19-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that you're using the product wrong; sorry if it came off that way. But we do occasionally get posts from users with dedicated servers who seem to feel they need daily reboots to get Sage to run stably, and I wanted to make it clear that that's not normal.
Thank you Greg, I appreciate your clarification. I agree, if someone reboots daily to make *Sage* stable there is probably something amiss. But if it is done to make *Windows* stable, well, that's where we may have to part company. :-)

Best regards,
--pseudonym

Last edited by pseudonym; 03-19-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
pseudonym,

Nielm's Dynamic Menus puts the recording info right on the main page.
check it out.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...?do=file&id=29
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...r09mds_v30.jpg
That screenshot looks like just what I'm after. I'm off to check it out :-) Thank you!

Best regards,
--pseudonym
Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Nielm's Dynamic Menus puts the recording info right on the main page. check it out.
Works a treat, thanks again.

Best regards,
--pseudonym
Old 03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
In particular there's a SageTray add-on that may do what you want.
Hello Greg, through following another link to Nielm's dynamic menus, I saw the SageTray item mentioned again in his Wiki pages, that reference did not show the Webserver as required.

Per his instructions I installed the "GetStatus" plugin and the separate tray app, "SageMon".

While it does show the current status, it unforunately doesn't just give the hover, rather it has to be clicked to get the current status. Not a huge deal, but now that I have Dynamic Menus with the recording status shown on the home menu page, it is just as easy to open SageTV and see the status.

Just wanted to get back to you on it so you'd know a bit more about it, and that while the original link I followed shows "Webserver required", this version of it does not.

Best regards,
--pseudonym