SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage Hangs when using 10 Second Skip

Hi all-

I have Sage V6.3.10.166 and SageMC V6.3.7a-fix running on XP Home, 1.5 gb ram, 2 ghz Athlon, dedicated to Sage.

I have a recurring issue where if I am skipping through commercials either forward or backward using the 10-second skip, Sage will occasionally hang. Sometimes it will crash the program and I can restart it, other times it will lock up my whole machine with 100% CPU cycles and I can't even ctrl-alt-del my way out of it, requires a full hard reboot by holding down the power button.

This only happens when using SageMC, never with normal SageTV UI. It seems to happen only if I am pushing the button quickly, e.g. when I want to skip through 30-40 seconds so I click-click-click the button. It happens in both forward and reverse skip. Doesn't seem to happen with any other buttons on the remote.

By the way, I tried using ComSkip and it would work but I had this hanging problem almost every single time I used the 10-second skip. It made the whole thing completely unusable. I'd like to be able to get this fixed so I could give comskip another try.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Bump...me too...

Just wanted to gig this one a bump as i also have this problem.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Sage User

This happened to me last night as well. After 4 or 5 jumps the picture froze and the circly-arrow animation came up. It circled and circled very slowly for about 5 minutes before I gave up on it and was able to ctrl-alt-delete my way out of it. I relaunched Sagetv but it crashed on startup. I rebooted my whole machine and then it worked again...
Old 08-28-2008, 08:49 AM

I've been experiencing this routinely. Again, usually with the 10s skip, though sometimes it occurs after pressing Stop twice. Circle animation -> hang -> have to terminate process. Then it seems happy again once restarted.

Anyone know a reason for / solution to this?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

I also have the issue with fwd/rew if doing multiple of them (like skipping commercial). And as phirro reported, I also have this hanging situation when pressing "stop" twice to get out of a show I'm watching. I also have the situation if starting a show, going back to menu and starting another show. It can be at the second try or third but I can't remember having been able to go through 4 shows. This happens when I'm looking for a good show to whatch (kind of manual previewing) and it's getting frustrating. As you can expect, my wife is not happy with this situation because we have to kill sagetv and restart it which take times and you know it will happens again if you are fooling around...

This is on the same computer that is recording and doesn't seems to be impacted if there is a recording going or not.

I've also tried that from SageTV client and seems to have the same issue from time to time (didn't use enough to recognize a pattern).

If somebody want to reproduce it, well, the easiest way is really to start a show, then press stop twice. Then restart another show and press stop twice again. After a few times doing that, you should have sageTV hanged.

When it is hanged, the CPU is running at 100% forever (well, I'm usually bored after 5-10 minutes so I'm always killing sagetv so it may come back but... not really good for WAF if it takes more then a few seconds).

Is that a known issue? Is it reported to Sage? I would love to have a solution for this problem.

Thank you.

Etienne