SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-02-2008, 06:07 AM

How to disable timeshifting in live Tv ?

Hi,
I connected my satellite receiver to the computer through a composite port as I have encrypted channels that are decoded only by the receiver .
I use the remote control of my receiver to change channels.

The problem is that SageTV always in timeshift mode while watching live tv !
This causes timeshift in every thing : channels changing , OSD display, volume inc/dec....etc

I could not find any option to disable timeshifting.
Pls help ?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboFatimah View Post
Hi,
I connected my satellite receiver to the computer through a composite port as I have encrypted channels that are decoded only by the receiver .
I use the remote control of my receiver to change channels.

This causes timeshift in every thing : channels changing , OSD display, volume inc/dec....etc

Pls help ?
There isn't a way to "disable timeshifting". Everything is a recording as far as Sage is concerned. So even when watching live tv, you are watching a recording and will always be a second or two behind live. This is the nature of the beast.

I should also check, when you are saying volume inc/dec, I assume you are adjusting the volume of the receiver with the receiver remote....any reason you aren't using Sage for volume?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

The right way to do this is to use some sort of channel changing device like a USB-UIRT so Sage will change the channel on your set top box.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

If you just want to display the TV on your PC monitor, and have no intention of recording it, then you'd probably be better off looking at a "simpler" appp than SageTV.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Sage Icon

Actually there should be no delay in adjusting the volume (volume is a function of playback - it doesn't actually affect the recording level)...

Also, the Sage API does have a function that will allow you to watch non-time-shifted video from your capture card. However, (a) the standard STV does not implement this function, (b) I don't think there are any STVi's that have implemented this function either, (c) if you did use this function, you would lose the ability to record from that tuner while you are watching it (d) this means you wouldn't be able to pause or rewind "livetv" or change your mind and start recording without first stopping and re-entering normal Sage time-shifted mode, so (e) it really doesn't make much sense.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Pls help ?

The biggest help anyone can give you is to tell you to stop watching live TV. There is NOTHING on live TV that isn't 100% better, 15 or 30 minutes delayed. Even the news is better delayed.

It's a difficult conversion, but once you've said good-bye to live TV, you will be much happier and have more time to do other things.

I stopped watching live TV in 2003. I'm however, still trying to get rid of live radio.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra View Post
The biggest help anyone can give you is to tell you to stop watching live TV. There is NOTHING on live TV that isn't 100% better, 15 or 30 minutes delayed. Even the news is better delayed.

It's a difficult conversion, but once you've said good-bye to live TV, you will be much happier and have more time to do other things.

I stopped watching live TV in 2003. I'm however, still trying to get rid of live radio.
I can't argue with that. But, it is a tough sell sometimes, especially when a wife and/or kids are involved!

Tim
Old 07-03-2008, 04:03 AM

Thanks all for replay.
The reason why I need timeshifting to be on demand only is that I'm subscribing to some satellite networks that require a satellite receiver to decrypt scrambled channels. This cannot be done through SageTV.

In my place, the only way to watch premium sports such as EURO Cup or english league is through paid networks and special cams only.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks all for replay.
The reason why I need timeshifting to be on demand only is that I'm subscribing to some satellite networks that require a satellite receiver to decrypt scrambled channels. This cannot be done through SageTV.

In my place, the only way to watch premium sports such as EURO Cup or english league is through paid networks and special cams only.

Thanks.

A lot of us are using Satellite receivers (STB: Set top boxes), we just have to use an IR blaster (see USB UIRT) in order to change the channels. A piece of software like Sage would be pointless if there wasn't a way to change a channel on an STB.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 07-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I think your assumption here is faulty. Timeshifting does not affect channnel changing, OSD, volume etc. There's definitely some other problem.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
I think your assumption here is faulty. Timeshifting does not affect channnel changing, OSD, volume etc. There's definitely some other problem.

It does if he is doing it all thru the remote on his STB (changing channels manually, changing volume via the STB and not thru Sage) but watching it thru Sage....
Old 07-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Sage Icon

This would be nice for my CCTV cameras. As it is now if the wife is watching the front door upstairs and the doorbell rings and I tune to the camera downstairs I will get video from the last EPG segment. The option of a live only input would be nice in this case.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Actually there should be no delay in adjusting the volume (volume is a function of playback - it doesn't actually affect the recording level)...

Also, the Sage API does have a function that will allow you to watch non-time-shifted video from your capture card. However, (a) the standard STV does not implement this function, (b) I don't think there are any STVi's that have implemented this function either, (c) if you did use this function, you would lose the ability to record from that tuner while you are watching it (d) this means you wouldn't be able to pause or rewind "livetv" or change your mind and start recording without first stopping and re-entering normal Sage time-shifted mode, so (e) it really doesn't make much sense.
Tiki, what is the API that could be used for live TV? That would be perfect for a workaround, in progress, to watch NetFlix videos (and maybe SlimPlayer audio) on the Extender.

Morgan
Old 07-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan111 View Post
Tiki, what is the API that could be used for live TV? That would be perfect for a workaround, in progress, to watch NetFlix videos (and maybe SlimPlayer audio) on the Extender.

Morgan
The function is WatchLive(). It is defined here: http://download.sage.tv/api/index.html

You would need to use Studio to create a custom STVi that uses this function.

I have not experimented with this function so I don't know how well it will work. My guess is that even with no buffering there will still be some delay while the capture card grabs the analog signal and encodes it to MPEG-2 or whatever.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 07-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator

You should check the docs for that function -- in most cases, it will still be recording to a file before playback. Really, the only thing you'll be doing is using a circular buffer.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks! Even if it is recording to a file it sounds like a better fit for the application.

http://download.sage.tv/api/sage/api...String,%20long)
Old 08-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Sage User

I would like to disable the timeshifting feature simply to keep the HD from continually spinning while it writes the the cache buffer (.mpgbuf) file(s). Vista already disk thrashes a lot...

Also, it will lower the internal chassis temp too due to less HD usage...
Old 08-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra View Post

I stopped watching live TV in 2000 with my Sony Tivo.

That's why my wife and I argue so much about the 2 hour trip to her parent's house. It's all just liveTV (and no A/C and no Internet). It's like visiting the stone ages!
Old 08-02-2008, 07:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by royhuang View Post
I would like to disable the timeshifting feature simply to keep the HD from continually spinning while it writes the the cache buffer (.mpgbuf) file(s). Vista already disk thrashes a lot...

Also, it will lower the internal chassis temp too due to less HD usage...

Everything in Sage is a recording, even live tv. It records to a buffer and then sends it to your tv.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Everything in Sage is a recording, even live tv. It records to a buffer and then sends it to your tv.
Paul: I didn't think about that...makes sense.

What about this question that's somewhat related to the buffers: I don't see in Sage.properties a way to have the buffer files saved to a different drive path other than the show recording directory. In my case, I like to keep the HD partition where I record shows defragmented (my D:\) so all of my Windows temp files, IE temp files, etc. point to a Temp folder on my E:\ partition.

Thx for your help in advance!! --Roy