SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Sage User

HVR-1800 QAM Problems w/ WinTV & Sage

My setup.

V Tuners: Hauppauge MCE500 dual tuner, works great, no problems, hvr-1800

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD3450 something, has HDMI out and thats what i used to hook to my TV. the audio also travels across the hdmi, and again no problems.

MY TV Samsung 60" DLP 1080p - does QAM so i would use it to watch live tv in HD, then i decided to get a HVR-1800 since sagetv supports it as a clearQAM tuner.

My OS: Windows XP SP2

Source: Comcast Atlanta no cable box, straight off the line

I installed the HVR-1800, downloaded the latest drivers and wintv. wintv detected the QAM channels and would display them perfectly.

I can not however get any sound off the QAM channels. Putting the TV into my TV, perfect sound and video.

So, I go into SageTV, add in the card, and tell to scan for qam channels. It finds a bunch but can't tune into any of them. says no signal.

I used the analog tuner on the card in sagetv and it works fine so my system sits now with 3 analog tuners all working perfectly and the qam tuner not working at all in sagetv.

thoughts ideas?

i know the card should work in WinTV before getting it to work in sage, but im just not sure what to do at this point.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Sage User

More info:

the 1800 card in WinTV works fine with sound when its an analog station.

when it goes to a qam station and i try to adjust the volume. it stays at 0%. ive attached a screenshot of what it looks like when i try to adjust the volume.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Sage User

so following the other guides, add as a source, disable all chanels, then do a scan. i noticed it would scan for the HD channels and display them. I would get sound and everything!

but here's the problem, it then disabled all my analog channels. it's like the HVR-1800 or SageTV isnt smart enough to know that the digital tuner can only get certain channels while the other tuners can get other ones. when i try to scan the digital channels, sagetv bombs out on me. it works 1 out of 3 attempts.

I think i might just have to give up the pipe dream of this working smoothly cause after spending a few hours just trying random things, it gets frustrating, especially when the cleanQAM on the 1800 is suppose to be "fully supported" by sage.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by voetsek View Post
but here's the problem, it then disabled all my analog channels. it's like the HVR-1800 or SageTV isnt smart enough to know that the digital tuner can only get certain channels while the other tuners can get other ones.
It sounds like you are trying to use the same channel lineup for both sources. If so: don't do that because enabling/disabling a channel on a lineup affects all tuners using that lineup. So, use separate lineups for differnt types of tuners, or use the v6.4 beta and use its new feature to copy the lineup to one that is seprately configurable.

And, if the same station is available on multiple lineups on different channel numbers, the stations are combined in the Program Guide under one of those channel numbers.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Sage User

Thanks Andy. it is using the same line up for all datasources, thats where the problem lies.

I will load up beta 4.4 tonight and see if that resolves some of the issues.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Sage Expert

I don't think it would be wise to switch to the 6.4 beta as a fix for your tuner problem since this may add more issues.

I think what Andy was suggesting was to use different lineups with your Analog vs digital tuners. The Analog SD tuners should use a <Provider-mycity> lineup, while your digital SD/HD tuner would use a <Provider digital-mycity> lineup.

Try using this thread for setup:
SETUP WinTV HVR-1600 with QAM

Also, your sound problem sounds like a codec issue. You may have installed some audio/video software that placed its codec/driver with a higher merrit, or your directx setup could be out of whack.

For testing, you might want to switch the audio from the HD3450 card to your onboard audio and see what happens.

Last edited by Conejo; 06-27-2008 at 10:01 PM.