SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-01-2006, 02:56 AM
Sage Icon

Sage TV - Setup Problems

Hello - I still have a few problems and I'm hoping someone can help me with some of them. I have two Hauppauge WinTV 500 cards and one Hauppauge WinTV 150 in my file server.

1. It seems that when I setup video source in the Channel Setup if I disable or enable certain channels on one video card it does automatically applies that to all the video cards. I want to be sure that when I set up my Hauppauge 150 to change the cable box with the IR cable that I can enable the upper channels (above channel 99) and they will not be enabled for the other video sources because I don't have 5 cable boxes to allow for all the digital channels on all my video sources.

2. The video quality is really bad and I don't understand the problem. On the lower channels it's like there is a constant wave the flows from the bottom to the top of the screen while watching TV. This interference is also recorded if I playback the show. On the upper channels (like around 50 or so) I get the checker like screen (like crosshatches). This seems to happen on the 500 and the 150 gives a constant wave. The 500 seems to also show the wave on the lower channels. What can I do to resolve these problems?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

#1: sources that use the same EPG provider share a channel lineup, so any change in one affects all sources that use the same lineup. If you were to add a source using an STB, that should have a different EPG provider (since the STB can get different channels than straight coax), so its channel lineup would be different.

#2: I don't know the answer to that, but I've seen it mentioned in the hardware section of the forum. You may need to update the cards' drivers.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
2. The video quality is really bad and I don't understand the problem. On the lower channels it's like there is a constant wave the flows from the bottom to the top of the screen while watching TV. This interference is also recorded if I playback the show. On the upper channels (like around 50 or so) I get the checker like screen (like crosshatches). This seems to happen on the 500 and the 150 gives a constant wave. The 500 seems to also show the wave on the lower channels. What can I do to resolve these problems?

Thanks,
Mike
Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't this be a ground loop problem?

BobP.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 02-01-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Sage Icon

Opus - here's my concern....Suppose I want to use say 2 Hauppauge 500 cards and one Hauppauge 150 card (for a total of 5 sources). Now, on the 150 card I'm going to use the IR Remote to change the cable channel on the box so that I get the upper channels above 99. I want to disable those channels on the 2 Hauppauge 500 cards because the cable will be connected directly to those cards and not through the cable box so they won't have access to those channels. I don't want Sage to attempt to try and record on channels with no reception. How do I disable channels for certain video capture sources?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Administrator

That's what I tried to say above: The one using the STB should be using a different provider than the ones using the straight cable connection, so you would have 2 separate channel lineups: 1 for the STB & 1 for straight cable.

Example: If you look at the screen caps on p. 150 in the v4.1 manaul, you will notice "Cablevision" and "Cablevision Digital".

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:35 AM
Sage Icon

Excuse my ignorance but what does STB stand for?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-02-2006, 02:18 AM
Administrator

Set Top Box (i.e.: converter box), and other references for terms.

- Andy
Old 02-02-2006, 09:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't this be a ground loop problem?

BobP.
I stand corrected. I thought I saw a thread that indicated this would be a ground loop problem but if SHS doesn't think so (from your other thread) then I'm sure I'm wrong. Sorry to have mislead you.

BobP.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Sage Icon

Hmmm, then what is causing this rolling effect up the screen. From my research, I was almost sure it was a ground loop problem. Also, when I right click on the desktop and click Settings, Advanced the monitor refresh rate is 60 hertz. I tried changing it to 75 but that still did not fix the problem. Also, this is happening directly on the file server with no TV's attached. I'm just trying to get everything right on the server first.

Thanks,
Mike