SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question What's the best way to control dual DTV Receivers?

I'm going to be building an HTPC with a USB-UIRT and two Hauppauge HD PVRs working with two DirecTV H21 receivers.

What is considered to be the best way to control the two receivers? Would it be IR emitters attached to the USB-UIRT, some sort of serial cable, or something else entirely?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Sage Fanatic

I bought 4 of these USB to serial cables from newegg to control the four boxes that should finally be installed tomorrow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156003

I am hoping that works well. I am not a fan of IR emitters and use firewire with my current cable STBs with no problem.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Sage Icon

I too would use RS232 if you can however I have one of those USB>RS232 adapters and it is far from stable enough for this application. Just use your USBUIRT with emitters or get a higher quality X>RS232 solution.

Mine USB>RS232 may work for 48 hours straight ~sometimes~, my server stays up for weeks at a time.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post

I too would use RS232 if you can however I have one of those USB>RS232 adapters and it is far from stable enough for this application. Just use your USBUIRT with emitters or get a higher quality X>RS232 solution.

Mine USB>RS232 may work for 48 hours straight ~sometimes~, my server stays up for weeks at a time.

What exactly goes wrong? And is this something inherent in all USB-Serial adapters, or just yours?
Old 06-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

I bought the Paterson Device. So far I cannot get it to work. Right now I am using a usbuirt and an emitter mouse. Make very sure sage gives you a confirmation for each code you teach it. It is working fairly well so far (had to re-teach sage a couple of codes) but I am going to try and get the Paterson device working when I can find the time.

HTH

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 06-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post

Hi,

I bought the Paterson Device. So far I cannot get it to work. Right now I am using a usbuirt and an emitter mouse. Make very sure sage gives you a confirmation for each code you teach it. It is working fairly well so far (had to re-teach sage a couple of codes) but I am going to try and get the Paterson device working when I can find the time.

HTH

Jesse

Is the Paterson device even necessary? Or will a regular USB to Serial adapter take care of it?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

I've been running 5 receivers with these for about 2 weeks, 3 of which go to USB/Serial with null adapters between them, and the other 2 are going to serial ports on the PC, with Nulls. Working fine here so far. (With the exact adapter listed in the post above).
Old 06-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hi,
I bought the Paterson Device. So far I cannot get it to work.
I use 2 Patterson cables - work great. Check out this thread for what helped them work for me...
Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
I use 2 Patterson cables - work great. Check out this thread for what helped them work for me...
I can't say the patterson cables work great, I had a ton of trouble getting it to work the first time, but once it was working, it's great.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I will give it a go soon.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 06-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

I use two of these for my D11-500's and they work perfectly with zero problems.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16812107108

Here's the info page I used as reference: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php...TV_D11_via_USB
Old 06-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Looking into this further, I see USB/Serial cables used with older receivers. But the H21 doesn't have a DB15, it has a USB port. How does that affect things?

Does it only need a regular USB cable to connect the PC to the receiver? And can Sage work with that?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hmmm, just got my receivers installed today and see the same thing, no RS232. Looks like I will have to break out the USB-UIRT.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
Does it only need a regular USB cable to connect the PC to the receiver? And can Sage work with that?
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I don't think this works. I think there has to be a serial connection in there somewhere... IIRC Sage doesn't have an option for USB connection to control anything - only serial port. So you'd need some sort of USB Serial converter somewhere.

I opted to use the serial ports on my PC (wow - it actually had some!) with the Patterson cables. Works great - very reliable.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I don't think this works. I think there has to be a serial connection in there somewhere... IIRC Sage doesn't have an option for USB connection to control anything - only serial port. So you'd need some sort of USB Serial converter somewhere.

I opted to use the serial ports on my PC (wow - it actually had some!) with the Patterson cables. Works great - very reliable.

Could I use two USB to serial cables with a null modem between them? Is this something that would work? Or does Sage need some sort of 3rd party drivers with the cable method?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

I don't know. If Windows sees it as a serial port, I assume it would work... Sage (iirc) doesnt give you an option of a USB port to control it, so it would need to be recognized as a serial port...
Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Sage Icon

So you guys are doing this with the Sage DirecTV dll and not a version of the script from MythTV?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Sage Icon

That USB port is usually to expand storage on their DVRs and to service the box like upgrading firmware. I dunno if you will be able to get channel changes working through it but I would definately expect you to not be able to simply plug in a patch cable to the server.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
So you guys are doing this with the Sage DirecTV dll and not a version of the script from MythTV?
Correct - using the Sage DLL. I have an old Sage DLL as a backup in case one doesn't work (I've read reports here of some people not being able to control their boxes after an upgrade... but I haven't had that issue)

Quote:
That USB port is usually to expand storage on their DVRs and to service the box like upgrading firmware. I dunno if you will be able to get channel changes working through it but I would definately expect you to not be able to simply plug in a patch cable to the server.
The USB port on the DirecTV box will control the channels. Like Collin, I doubt you can do USB to USB... has to have some serial port in there. I like the Patterson cable - works great for me.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

The patterson device connects to the USB port on the DirecTV receivers, the other end connects to a serial port on the PC, I have mine controlling 2 different DirecTV STD STB's and it has been working great for over 2 years.

This device can be used on the H21 HD STB as well if you check the patterson website.

The kicker is to get a true serial controller card for the PC instead of a USB to serial convertor. You can pick up a StarTech 2 port PCI serial card for around $30.

This is what I use.
"Life is a banquet and most people are starving to death!"