SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Sage Icon

Question How to get Digital Channels in my Program Guide

Not sure if I am missing something here... probably am ...

I have one of the last Toshiba 32" Widescreen HDTV "Tube" TV's in my master bedroom. I noticed when I connected my cable to it and did a channel search I had a bunch of "digital" channels available to me in addition to the analog channels I used to have with my regular old tube SDTV. Keep in mind I have no cable box at all connected to the Toshiba, HD or otherwise.

So, then I take that same cable and connect it to my Sage Servers' Hauppauge card, but when I select my cable provider for the guide I don't see the digital channels I saw in my bedroom TV.

Any thoughts on how to get access to those channels? Is it possible? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Sage Icon

Your HDTV is picking up the clear QAM channels in addition to the analog channels. Not sure what Hauppauge card you have but it is probably analog only. If you have a digital card that supports clear QAM it should also pick up the digital channels.

Edit: you need to select a digital lineup for your EPG to get the program info for the clear QAM channels. The clear QAM will probably require some remapping to match the EPG.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.

Last edited by carlgar; 06-11-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Those are the QAM channels broadcast in the clear -- you would need a capture device that can tune the QAM channels, such as the HDHomeRun or Hauppauge digital tuners like the 1600 or 1800. I use an HDHomeRun for OTA and clear QAM channels & it works well for me.

See the SageTV System Requirements for supported QAM tuners.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Administrator

I saw an old post of yours where you said you were going to add an HD tuner... if you added one, what did you add? As carlgar said above, if you already have an HD tuner, you may just need to select a digital lineup. If channels are still missing, you can try manually adding them, though all channels should be available for a cable lineup.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Sage Icon

Ah! Thanks you guys ... OK ... I thought my Hauppauges were already supported digital. They are the 250's and a 500. So it looks like I need to get another card.

So, then is the Hauppauge 1600/1800, HDHomeRun the same as getting the Hauppage HD PVR?

Also, do these cards not only provide digital support, but HDTV support as well? You don't just get a card that does one or the other.

Lastly, the Sage HD Extender is not a digital tuner, but just an extender that needs a digital tuner in the box. Correct?

Andy, yes I remember getting all excited about getting and HD card when they were just coming out and even got in he virtual line for the Extender. But then my server hardware went belly up. I put a lot of $$ in to the rebuild since with the flat panel I recently got provides me more PC capability than my old analog tube TV. Hence my inexperience in the digital and HD world and the reason I haven't had enough money to buy new HD cards.

But, now that we are talking about it, Fathers Day is coming up. Hmmm!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt View Post
So, then is the Hauppauge 1600/1800, HDHomeRun the same as getting the Hauppage HD PVR?
No -- the HDHR, 1600, & 1800 connect directly to the coax cable and record the QAM signal as it arrives, simply saving the digital stream, and can only tune the non-encrypted channels.

The HD-PVR is a device to encode an analog signal into a digital file, similar to the working of the 250 except that it can connect to the component cables and record HD resolutions. (The old 250 style tuners can only record standard def TV.) You would need to connect it to a converter box.

Quote:
Also, do these cards not only provide digital support, but HDTV support as well? You don't just get a card that does one or the other.
The HDHR, 1600, 1800, etc., record the digital stream as it arrives, whatever the resolution is.

Quote:
Lastly, the Sage HD Extender is not a digital tuner, but just an extender that needs a digital tuner in the box. Correct?
The HD Extender has no tuner; it is a playback device. It can play SD or HD, but of course you need an HD tuner for it to play HD.

- Andy
Old 06-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks Andy ... Guess I am still in the digital / HD learning curve.

Recording Digital Channels - To get the Clear QAM channels I have I will get the Hauppauge 1600, 1800 or HDHomeRun. Decisions, decisions!

Recording HDTV - I'd like to get the Hauppauge HD-PVR ($), but then I guess I would also need a second HD converter ($) so Sage wouldn't change channels on me when I was already watching something. Probably need a blaster ($) too. So, more waiting ….

Extending Sage - Since my server will be at the TV, the extender is not really needed. Plus I just upgraded my wireless network to "N" and am now getting 270mbps throughput!

Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt View Post
Extending Sage - Since my server will be at the TV, the extender is not really needed. Plus I just upgraded my wireless network to "N" and am now getting 270mbps throughput!
The above statement may be correct but depends upon the power of your system. Decoding HD can require a powerful CPU and/or graphics card. The use of the HD extender eliminates that issue. The HD extender decodes the HD and displays (sends signal to TV) with its own hardware.
BTW: The HD extender is not currently a wireless device.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
The above statement may be correct but depends upon the power of your system. Decoding HD can require a powerful CPU and/or graphics card. The use of the HD extender eliminates that issue. The HD extender decodes the HD and displays (sends signal to TV) with its own hardware.
BTW: The HD extender is not currently a wireless device.
Thanks ... Well, since I just rebuilt my Sage server, I decided to invest a lot in to it since I want to use PC functions on my new 50" flat panel. I went with a Quad Core CPU, 4 gigs of RAM and an Nvidia force 7950 GX2 on my Abit IP35 Pro Mobo. I expect I am good with performance for HD.

The wireless N will help with surfing the internet, streaming video, and occasionally pulling video off of other network drives.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah I would consider the Extender more if I had CAT5 available in my Family Room, hence my excitement about at least having Wireless N.

Last edited by mightyt; 06-12-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Sage Icon

Thumbs up I ended up going for (2) Hauppauge HVR-1600 Cards!

OK ... I went for it ...

Surfing the net, I found a great deal at Circuit City for the HVR 1600 at $59.96 (with $10 instant savings)! Called my local store for availability and they had 4 of them. They said to get the $10 off I have to pay on the net and pick up at the store. Fine with me, except the net said they didn't have any?? Called again, they said bring a print out of the pricing from their site and they would honor it. Got there and for that price I picked up 2, "but" when I got the customer service desk, they rang up at about $170! What? Let's see, 60+60=120, so ~$130 with tax. Of course I asked why? They showed me their web page and, well even though both pages said Hauppauge HVR-1600, the $59.96 was for Model 1178. What they had in the store was Model 1199. Hmm .... bait and switch I thought, so I asked what I was getting in the new model that wasn't in the old? In other words what am I getting for the added cost?? No one could tell me. Being impatient I would probably have grumbled, but bought it anyway ... but ... to my surprise the girl at the counter said I can't give it to you for $59.96 but can for $69.96! I didn't realize I could haggle down a retailer!!

I figured they split the difference and scooped them up. Plus, the price range on the net was mostly in the $80 to about $120 per card. so, I got 2 for $140.

I currently have (1) PVR-500 and (2) PVR 250's, total of (4) tuners. Replacing the 250's, I'll have (6) tuners and (2) of those digital!! All with no added slots needed. In addition, I figure I will for sure never get a Recording Conflict" again!!

I thought about the HDHomeRun, but this ended up better for me. internal solution, got (4) tuners instead of (2) and still have my 250's to boot!

Cant wait to pop them in a see what additional channels I get. Guess it would "not" be cool to spend Fathers Day fooling with my Sage box and not the family !!!

Of course it's still only 10:30pm ....

Thanks again for all the advice on this ... I'll let you know how it goes ... T.