SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:16 AM
Sage Expert

Combine OTA and cable channels in guide?

I've searched for this because I'm sure it's been asked, but I can't seem to find anything. I just added cable to my sage setup, which until now has only had ota hd. I have two ota hd tuners, and one cable tuner. All three work fine, but I've got duplicate listings in my guide for the ota and cable versions of the local channels. (See the attached screenshot for an example).

I want to have it only list those channels once in the guide, but I still want it to be able to record from either one, depending on what's available. I know it does this automatically for the analog & digital channels that are both part of my cable lineup - can it also somehow do this for the channels that are duplicated across the two different lineups?

Also, how does Sage handle tuner "merit?" Is it smart enough to record something on the HD tuner if that tuner's available, but to use the cable tuner instead if there's another program that can only be recorded off of the HD tuner?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: gif guide.GIF (143.5 KB, 379 views)
Old 08-16-2007, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild View Post
I've got duplicate listings in my guide for the ota and cable versions of the local channels. (See the attached screenshot for an example).
Those channels aren't combined because they are different stations, based on the call letters.

Quote:
Also, how does Sage handle tuner "merit?" Is it smart enough to record something on the HD tuner if that tuner's available, but to use the cable tuner instead if there's another program that can only be recorded off of the HD tuner?
I don't use HDTV much, so my expereince is limited, but there is a prefer_hdtv_recordings_over_sdtv property that defaults to being true, so if the choice is equal, it should record the HD airing.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Those channels aren't combined because they are different stations, based on the call letters.
Thanks Andy. They may technically be different - because one is ota digital and one is analog cable - but in practice they are the exact same station, with the exact same listings day in and day out. Thus the duplicate listings that just take up space in the epg. Is there a way to manually tell sage to treat these two channels as being the same? I don't understand much about the remap physical/logical channel stuff - perhaps there's a way through those to "trick" sage into thinking they're the same?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Sage Icon

Actually they are not the exact same station because HD shows can only be shown on the DT (Digital TV) stations. The stations without the DT will never have a show that is HD. I believe there is a STV import that will allow you to just list your preferred channels.
See the http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...?do=file&id=50 post.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.

Last edited by carlgar; 08-16-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
Actually they are not the exact same station because HD shows can only be shown on the DT (Digital TV) stations. The stations without the DT will never have a show that is HD. I believe there is a STV import that will allow you to just list your preferred channels.
See the http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...?do=file&id=50 post.
I'm not sure what you mean. Obviously the SD version of the channel downconverts to SD, but they still show the same shows. For instance, NBC might show Heroes in HD on the digital station, but that doesn't mean that they don't show Heroes on the SD station. I just don't want to have to see Heroes on two channels, plus doubles of whatever's on every other ota station.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Sage Icon

It is the same show but the show is broadcast in different formats. Anyway, I think the post I pointed too will allow you to hide the stations you want too.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks calgar,
I figured out how to use the Favorite Channel Lists import and it seems to be pretty flexible, so I should be able to accomplish what I want to through that. Thanks for the help!