SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 AM
SageTVaholic

SageTV Server running Linux? Any success stories?

A month or so ago I was preparing to purchase and build a new Quad-Core SageTV server and decided to put that project on hold until I had the HD-PVR things all worked out. I'm still not quite ready yet, but was wondering if it would make any sense to set the new server up in Linux. Here's a few questions for folks running something like this?

Are there any working (working well) SageTV servers running linux?
Does the HD-PVR work with SageTV's linux version?
What are the dissadvantages of going with Linux for the SageTV server?

Any and all input is welcomed as I'm mostly just in the fact-finding stage of this. Thanks,
Old 06-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Sage User

There are quite a few success stories I think around the block.

It is NOT for the faint of heart though, I highly recommend you have a decent linux background, or be very patient and use it as a learning tool .

Hdhomerun's don't work without the beta version also just an fyi, and some plugins don't.

Netflix plugin which I really wanted doesn't work due to DRM, you must be running windows MCE for it.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Does the HD-PVR work with SageTV's linux version?
From the FAQ on the HD-PVR it doesn't look like it will work with linux at least until Hauppauge provides drivers anyway.

Edit: Looks like drivers are coming soon see here.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 06-03-2008 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Add driver correction.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Sage Expert

My CentOS server setup using these steps

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29968

is working without a single issue since it was setup, but I do not use it for any TV related activities. The server is Dell PowerEdge 600SC (P42.4GHz with 1GB or memory) I have 3 software RAID arrays. RAID1: 1st is OS and 2nd is Data both on 2 x 500GB WD SATA|| disks with Promise SATA controller. RAID5 is 4 x 200 GB Maxtor ATA133 disks with Promise ATA133 controller.

The advantage for me were
1. Completely free (I do have access to all Windows Servers but I still prefer to use the free CentOS)
2. Software RAID works extremely well even for System partition (wasn't possible with W23k as far as my reasearch can tell me)
3. Windows file sharing works for my Windows XP clients much better with Samba then it worked with W23k which was used on this server for 2+ years before.
4. I love to have the ability to have multiple SageTV versions installed and change the one I use only with a change of symlink.

Last edited by bastafidli; 06-02-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:56 AM
SageTVaholic

I've been running a SageTV server on Ubuntu linux for almost a year now. I have an HD extender and a mvp client. I only run a single tuner on the Server, since Sage's PVR functions isn't my primary reason for using Sage. I do record stuff using Sage, but I have a expressVu dual tuner HD pvr, and that unit is my main Unit. I don't have any drawbacks about running Sage under Linux... Although, the fact that the Hauppauge HD PVR doesn't have native linux support will be a drawback... but not enough to make me switch.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Sage

I run a Ubuntu Linux server at home. Been doing it that way for about 4 months now and it works great. (previously I had WHS for the prior 3 months; and don't get me started on the terrible I/O performance of that OS...and before that I ran XP for ~5 years)
Old 06-02-2008, 01:16 PM
SageTVaholic

I made the switch from Windows to Linux. And the most compelling reason to do so is better run time with known working drivers. If you're not on the bleeding edge, the box will just keep running.

I have ordered a HD-PVR, will be here tomorrow, and I will be setting it up on my old windows server license to act as a network encoder to my linux server. I am also switching from DirecTV to FiOS on Saturday and it will be my first foray into Lirc. If I get really ambitious, I may tackle the idea of running it in vmware as well.

FWIW - As of Saturday I will be running 3 HVR-1600s (Analog and QAM), 1 HVR-1800 (May pull, still undecided; QAM only), 1 HD-PVR (Windows Network encoder) The network encoder is untested by SageTV with the HD-PVR, but they are willing to work with me on it.

B
Old 06-02-2008, 01:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Saturday and it will be my first foray into Lirc
I was very impressed with Lirc under Ubuntu 8.04. I had gotten it to work in other linux distros, but it's been a pain. It was literally install the package and follow the prompts. I also modified Narflex's LIRCTuner because i needed serial IR blasting to work.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Sage User

I have two SageTV setups running under Linux.

At my mom's house, I have Ubuntu 7.04 with 3 MVPs, a PVR 150 and a PVR 250. This was installed over a year ago and she (almost 80) has no issues with it.

At my apartment, I just installed a base (X-less) Debian install with XFS, an HDHR and an HD Extender. This was a little tougher, but using the beta for SageTV and the HD Extender, everything is working well. I wouldn't recommend this setup for everyone as there is no GUI and the setup might need some compiling (lirc, etc), but since my server is underpowered, every little saving helps. Ubuntu, Mandriva, etc would be easier.

The HD-PVR won't be supported by Hauppauge on Linux (at least initially), but according to the gossip on the MythTV site, the community is working on getting it working under Linux. Since the other Hauppauge equipment is community written (ivtv), I don't doubt that it will be running under Linux.
Tuner(s) - 2x HVR 1600 (SD only)
Old 06-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Sage Expert

Hey, Sage CTO is on Linux, hopefully that will mean that in the future Sage will be more Linux friendly

Some small suggestions
Old 06-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Sage Icon

I originally tried SageTV on Gentoo, and had a lot of problems. I think it's more of an issue with Gentoo than with SageTV. It's hard to keep Gentoo up-to-date, and unmasking packages is a slippery slope.

I switched to Ubuntu sometime last fall. I never have been able to get lirc to work with either the Hauppauge receiver or USB-UIRT. I ended up moving the server into the den and occasionally watched TV on the computer screen in there. I'm glad they released the HD extender, I can now use Sage on the plasma TV again I'm having issues with the HDHR but apparently it works better in the 6.4 beta. I'll wait till it GA's and try it out then.

Bottom line: I use the Linux version on my server and a placeshifter license on my Linux laptop. I have the HD extender hooked up to the TV.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have a Ubuntu Server that has been working great for over a year on Charter cable TV. I am now making the switch to Directv with HDPVR's, which due to the lack of drivers, I will be setting this up with VMware Server 2.0 and use my Windows license as a network encoder. I just got charged for one my boxes so I am hoping to get things going this weekend if it arrives in time.
Headless ArchLinux 2.6.34 64-bit, SageTV 7.0.15
Sun JRE 1.6.0_20
Comskip&PlayonWindows XP 2CPU and 1GB Ram Allocated
Clients: 1 Media MVP and 2 STX-HD100
Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 PM

Do you guys who use linux as a pvr leave the system on 24-7 or does sagetv wakeup the system for scheduled recordings?

Thanks!!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:48 PM
SageTVaholic

I leave my server on 24/7