SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Sage Icon

Wanted: Windows Address Book Viewer

Would it be possible for a customization to be created in Sage to display the Windows Address Book (from Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.) from the server PC (or from a location path in the home network)? While I know nothing about programming, it seems like there are enough other customizations where various fields (movie metadata for example) are read from a location and displayed, so maybe the same could be done with name, phone, address, etc.? If it could be searchable or tabbed (for quicker navigating), that would be cool, but I would be happy with even a single, alphabetical list that I could scroll through.

Worst-case, if the WAB is impenetrable, I would love to see an address book feature available, even if you had to manually type everything in yourself.

I thought of this when I was two floors away from my server PC this morning and wanted to call a friend, who's number is on my server PC. It occurred to me that if someone is far from the PC, but near a client (i.e., TV with extender), they could pull up a phone number or address quickly and easily.

Depending on how it was done (though this might require other re-writes), the same info would then be available through the webserver (if you have that installed) wherever you were in the world....
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:57 PM
SageTVaholic

While I'm sure something like this would be possible in Sage, I have to wonder whether it wouldn't be simpler to just download your Outlook address book to your cell phone. There are any number of off-the-shelf apps that can do that.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
While I'm sure something like this would be possible in Sage, I have to wonder whether it wouldn't be simpler to just download your Outlook address book to your cell phone. There are any number of off-the-shelf apps that can do that.
My cell phone doesn't go with me everywhere, especially not when I am at home (when I'm at home, it sits with my keys and wallet or else on the charger). And my cellphone also doesn't even hold addresses, just phone numbers (and - gasp! - I don't want, need, or do, text messaging either!).

I agree, if I was out of town and needed a phone number, chances are it would be in my cellphone... but if I am in bed, two floors from my PC and one floor from my cellphone, and the TV was on, I think it would be awfully convenient to be able to pull up a number if I wanted to call someone (on my old fashioned, dinosaur-like, house phone).

Unfortunately, your point is well-taken, that the people browsing here who are "techie" enough to write the code probably also have everything they could ever need in their cellphones and thus wouldn't bother writing this customization.... sigh....
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.