SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Motorola DCT6200 Channel Change issues via firewire

Ok - I have had this set up over firewire for years (per the enormous thread), and have been using it successfully to change channels for a long time. Recently, however, the Sage server PC is losing the hardware in the device manager.

A reboot of the computer does not bring it back. I have to actually uninstall, then re-install the firestb drivers. This will bring it back temporarily. After an undetermined amount of time (or some event I cannot pinpoint), the device disappears from the machine, and it will no longer send channel change commands.

Background info: Vista 32-bit, latest Sage and Timmmore's MyTray (with the exeplugin)

Anyone heard of this before?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have had mine setup for years also and about two months ago it started having problems changing channels I tried rebooting the computer no luck. When I reboot the dct6200 that solved all my problems. Have you tried unplugging the tuner and turning it back on. I know that sounds simple but it solved my problems.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

I believe I did that when I reinstalled the drivers... it was ok for a while then lost it again.

If I have to reboot the STB often, this will become a problem for me.

I should also note that I have a 7 month old daughter that occasionally gets hold of the remote, and may be causing this issue.

I will check this out tonight.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Resetting the box (by unplugging and re-plugging) brings it right back. It connects to windows and everything works as normal...

However, it seems to lose connection now almost each night. I am wondering if the software on the STB was updated to some kind of power save mode that shuts off external connections if they're not used in a certain time period or something.

Is anyone else seeing this? Should I try to get another box from Comcast?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:32 PM
SageTVaholic

I've noticed lately that my cable company is resetting the STB's I have every night at 4:00 am. Could that be your problem?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think if that were the case, I'd think I'd be in good shape. Resetting the box is what brings the device back to visible in my server machine (device manager)...

I heard it disappear from the system the other night at 9:11pm, for no apparent reason. No event in event viewer, no messages on the server, nothing. Very weird.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am writing again to bump this... it seems that others are seeing similar behavior. Since the new season of TV has started, this is becoming more annoying as I can't get the box to stay in the device manager for any longer than ~24hrs. It'll disappear, and require me to unplug and reboot the STB to get it to show up again.

I think my next step is to go back to Comcast and request a new box to see if that corrects the issue.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I got a new box (DCH3200). I updated the drivers to the newer version that supports this box. After changing the command to "channelw -f", the changing works fine.

The issue with the STB disappearing from Device Manager still exists however...

Is there some kind of time out or something I am not thinking of? Any way to troubleshoot this?

If I reset the box, or even pull the firewire cable and plug it back in, it comes back and works great for a while before disappearing again. I am out of ideas how to troubleshoot this.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Sage User

mangriotis, did you ever come up with a solution for this? I'm having the same problem with my DCT6200.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 AM

firewire devices for STB disappear from device manager

I'm not a SageTV user (BTV) but this is more of a hardware issue than the PVR software. I am having this same issue with my Motorola DCH3200 STB as well. I currently use the Tim Moore drivers to change channles on my STB for use wth a HDPVR. It works fine for days or weeks on end, then all of the sudden I notice that I have recorded the wrong thing. A quick check in the Windows XP device manager shows the entries under Imaging Devices for my firewire connected STB are gone. A reboot of the system will bring them back. Power cycling the STB does not bring them back. After reading a little about firewire devices, I now suspect, as other in this thread mentioned, that the cable co. (Comcast here!) is resetting the box for some reason. I started writing a PERL script to do WMI calls every hour or less to see if the devices have disappeared from the system. I would then check the BTV scheduler and reboot if there was a time window. I never finished that...so I am resigned to the fact that I will need to buy a USB-UIRT. The IR blaster on my HDPVR never worked from day one.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Sorry, bmh... must have missed your post.

No, I never solved this. I have since changed my setup, and am using a WHS server that is nowhere near the STB. I no longer use that, and only record SDTV cable with internal tuners, and HD QAM using my HDHR.

I would love to find a way to get out of Comcast though, as I have been having signal level issues for ~6 months now.