SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Can a Slingbox control an MVP?

Hi,

I've found bits and pieces of info on this in different forums, but no definite answer or instructions. Has anyone successfully set up a Slingbox to control their Hauppauge MediaMVP? You'd think the Slingbox could be "taught" the IR commands, but Sling Media sure isn't bragging about it if it can...

I am aware of the alternatives for streaming content to a pda (Orb, Nielm's webserver), I'd just like to offload that job to the Slingbox's hardware encoder.

Thanks if you can help!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Sage Icon

Not exactly sure what you are asking, but the MVP can only playback MPEG2 videos. For it to play other file formats such as AVI, MPEG1, WMV, MOV, OGG, etc, SageTV has a transcoder that converts those formats to MPEG2 before it streams to the MVP.

Or are you asking whether the slingbox remote can control the MVP?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Whoops, sorry for being unclear. I'm looking to have a Slingbox control Sage through an MVP. I only use MVP's for video output.

If the Slingbox used the right IR commands I was thinking it shouldn't care whether it's controlling a DVD player, an STB, or an MVP. It should just stream whatever the MVP is displaying.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think I understand what you are trying to do, but I'm not sure why you would want to do it that way. You will have significant degradation by going from analog-digital-analog-digital (not to mention a lot of work)
Have you tried using something like 'Orb' instead of adding another device to the mix. Orb will allow you to make all of your content available through a transcoder and allow you to play it anywhere.

You can also do this with the Sage web interface if you install VLC. It will stream at variable rates depending on your connection speed. You can also schedule and delete recordings so you will get a lot more functionality.

I wish that Placeshifter was web-based and licensed to the server instead of as a client. It would be a lot more useful to be able to access it from any computer and be licensed by concurrent uses instead of installations.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Soooo are you trying to watch what is on the mvp via a slingbox so that you can watch/set recordings/etc on Sage anywhere in the world? If that is the case, the placeshifter does that already......

Or am I missing your point?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the replies!

The placeshifter's not an option since a Windows Mobile (pda) client's not available.

I currently use Orb and the webserver but received a Slingbox as a gift, and thought it might offer a few advantages.

1-It's hardware encoder might yield higher quality than Orb or VLC, possibly offsetting any quality loss from the multiple high bitrate analog/digital conversions necessary between my source and my pda.

2-It will take Orb/VLC's encoding load off my server.

3-I wouldn't need Orb or the webserver at all. This seems like the only way to get a full blown placeshifter on a pda.

I thought I might just be a custom IR map away from this...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoful View Post
I wish that Placeshifter was web-based and licensed to the server instead of as a client. It would be a lot more useful to be able to access it from any computer and be licensed by concurrent uses instead of installations.
Placeshifter is licensed on the server by concurrent uses, just like Media Extenders. (It's SageTVClient that's licensed on the client per installation.) Placeshifter isn't web-based, but you can carry a Placeshifter installation on a USB stick and run it on any Windows machine without having to install the software or license on the host machine.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Sage Icon

nielm's web server can control the MVP Extender via a web interface or command line parameters. So, you can control the MVP from there.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:16 PM
SageTVaholic

So.. Slingboxen do one thing very well. I think you might have better luck with this question at Sling though. I would call, if you can, and ask them if they have a remote profile for the Hauppauge remote. Failing that, can you teach Sling a new device? Send yours in for them to set it up?

Now if you had the HD Extender, you could use a remote which does work (tivo, with tweaking)

B

PS - Aside from native client on mobile devices, this solution would also enable ripped DVD playback.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Any updates on this? I think Slingbox would be a nice plug-and-play way to get Sage fully mobile...

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like it works! See thread:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30125
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total

Last edited by Addict; 03-31-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've found people using a Slingbox to control an HD-100, but not an MVP. Not Sling, Hauppauge, nor Sage have been any help either.

Still looking...
Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Did you see this? looks like somebody got it to work (okay, two years ago) with mythtv by using jp1. I don't yet have a slingbox, so I can't test, but I am starting to go down the same road you have. I would love to have sagemc on my sprint ppc6800.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/...light=mediamvp
Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
I am starting to go down the same road you have.
Please post your results!
Old 04-07-2008, 05:05 AM
SageTVaholic

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...30&postcount=1

I have a JP1 code set there for the MVP

B