SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:33 AM
SageTVaholic

SageTV + Netflix Watch Now Possible?

With Netflix beginning to work with vendors on integration of their "watch instantly" movie streaming, I'm wondering if SageTV could add this feature eventually. I'm sure it would require some sort of business arrangement between SageTV and Netflix, but if it's not too costly it could be something worth looking into.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Sage Expert

Netflix did say they want 100+ devices capable of streaming their movies.
This seems like something netflix would want. Seems like this really could be a no-brainer.

At least I hope so!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
Anybody ever found anything in Netflix Watch Now worth 2 hours of their life? I was extremely disappointed with the selection. I don't care if I can watch garbage instantly. I wanna watch good movies instantly.

Last edited by sixdoubleo; 01-03-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixdoubleo View Post
Anybody ever found anything in Netflix Watch Now worth 2 hours of their life? I was extremely disappointed with the selection.
I found a few, but agree it is very weak. Keep in mind they are really in test mode at the moment. I would guess they are ramping up for much better content with deals with the various movie companies. Better content, will likely coincide with the release of the first set-top boxes.

I'm betting it will be a separate subscription once Netflix goes this route as the better movies and television shows will cost them more in license fees.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Sage Expert

Well..I just read an article about Netflix and it stated that Apple is announcing later this month their online movie viewing program.

Could get interesting...

Gary Ellis
Old 01-03-2008, 11:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis View Post
Well..I just read an article about Netflix and it stated that Apple is announcing later this month their online movie viewing program.

Could get interesting...

Gary Ellis
And don't forget Amazon Unbox which Tivo users are enjoying already...
Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Sage Expert

I've found plenty of good stuff so far. Lots of TV shows that are decent too.
Content can certainly be better, but I've found some good stuff.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

This (Netflix Instant Queue on TV) has been hinted at for a couple of months on a few websites. I would be very surprised if Sage isn't already looking into integrating this into their software.

I haven't watched anything on the instant queue but my wife has watched a few TV series, and I think she has found a few children's shows for the kids. Stuff that is fine to watch on the fly, but not really worth waiting for in the mail.

-Chris
Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixdoubleo View Post
Anybody ever found anything in Netflix Watch Now worth 2 hours of their life?
With the WGA strike going on I've watched a lot of TV shows that I had missed on there. Would love to be able to do it over the HD Extender!
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 01-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Sage Expert

Wink Netflix CEO Reed Hastings: "We want to be embedded in ...."

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...t-top-box.html

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings told HackingNetflix that the company has bigger plans to branch out. "Our model is that we don't want one Netflix-branded box, we want to see 100 Netflix-capable boxes," he said. "We want to be embedded in high-def DVD players, Internet games, dedicated set-top boxes, a wide range of options, not all instantly. This is the first one, a great proof point."

So when it is coming to HD extender?

* merged *
Old 01-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Sage Expert

I have watched few as well. They have pretty good selection of foreign content when they do not have to worry about US media businesses freaking about about users stealing their content.

I also think HD extender community can be an excellent test bed for Netflix since it is pretty small, pretty technical and user's dont mind to troubleshoot issues and give feedback.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Sage Expert

Sage & Netflix overlap

Do you use Sage, do you use Netflix? I think Sage community is perfect for Netflix to test integration of watch now with hw devices since Sage users are technical, used to provide feedback and troubleshoot issues and Sage now has great hw device to integrate the Watch Now feature in.

I would be interested to see results of this poll (but admin cancelled my thread before I was able to create it :-) to judge what kind of overlap is there between these two communities. It can be great tool for Sage when working with Netflix.

- I subscribe to Netflix and use Sage software with my own hardware
- I subscribe to Netflix and use Sage software with Sage extender (and possibly my own hardware)
- I do not subscribe to Netflix but would consider signing up if it integrates with Sage
- I do not subscribe to Netflix and would not sign up even if it integrates with Sage
- I do not subscribe to Netflix and do not use Sage (just checking)

Last edited by bastafidli; 01-03-2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added poll
Old 01-03-2008, 03:49 PM
SageTVaholic

There is a netflix plugin that worked decently with SageTV and your Netflix queue so you could order DVDs through it. So I have Netflix, Sage, my own hardware and an extender. Would I use a plugin that gave me access to Netflix Watch Now? Hell yeah-why wouldn't I? I think people are starving for more reasons to justify why they have a HTPC and this is just another reason why. I don't want to pay $300 for a VUDU box, $XXX for a Netflix box, etc. Single purpose boxes aren't going to hack it because how will you get the next great thing? Single box with multiple plugins to multiple services would be the way to go.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Sage User

I've wanted to see some sage/netflix integration since I first saw the netflix service. I think it would be awesome.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastafidli View Post
I would be interested to see results of this poll (but admin cancelled my thread before I was able to create it :-)
Oh... I didn't see that you were creating a poll. I just saw 2 or 3 more threads on this same topic in various forum sections, so I merged them all here. If you want to create a poll, go ahead... maybe I can successfully merge that into this thread too.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Anybody ever found anything in Netflix Watch Now worth 2 hours of their life? I was extremely disappointed with the selection. I don't care if I can watch garbage instantly. I wanna watch good movies instantly.
I actually watched the entire first Heroes season on Netflix watchnow - or else I would never have gotten hooked. Also a few other movies, not tons, but some.

I think if Netflix can snag more TV episode showings, it would help for those of us curious about shows that we haven't been watching but are curious about.

I.E., I never did watch any of the "Lost" shows, but I could use WatchNow to see if I like it.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'd really like Netflix Watch It Now integration in the next release of Sage. I'm paying for it anyway, but I don't use it often because it won't run in Firefox.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Sage User

There has been interest in this in the past. I have seen a few post like this one http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26744 However nothing seemed to come of it .

I'll cast my vote for it to be integrated into an upcoming version of sagetv
Old 01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Netflix integration, please!

SageTV should really try to include some form of Netflix "Watch it Now" integration now that Netflix is allowing unlimited viewing for subscribers:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080113/...imited_netflix
Old 01-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Any implementaion would have significant limitations due to the DRM it uses:
- Windows only (no Mac, Mo Linux, No extenders).
- Would need a new player app integrated (can't use MPlayer or Directshow as is).

Having said that, I'd love to see it too.

HTPC/Server: A8 3850; Win 7 Home x86 + Java 1.6.0_26; Sage 7.1.9; Driving Epson 8500 pj @ 1080p | Office: Core2Duo E8500 w/ EFI-X running OS X 10.5 & Win 7 Pro x64 (dual boot) + Java 1.6.0_20; Sage 7.0.23; Driving 30" Samsung 1900x1200 monitor