SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

MKV Skip and Fast Forward

I'm in the process of transcoding my DVDs into MKV files using Handbrake on OS X, but I'm running into a problem. While the files play fine on the HD Extender, if I fast-forward or skip ahead, the extender jumps back to the beginning of the movie. I'm using the Handbrake Film pre-set. Has anyone had success with fast-forwarding or jumping ahead with Handbrake encoded MKV files?

Also, MKV supports chapters. Can SageTV and the Extender handle these?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 01-01-2008, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

I believe they should be working on a fix to this problem. I have previously sent them a sample MKV file. So I know they're aware of the problem.

Official MKV support in SageTV is still fairly new. I don't believe chapter markers are supported but I don't know if they are planned to be supported. My suggestion would be to contact support about chapters. I'll do the same since I'm actually in the same boat.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

I get the same with MKV. Skips to the first of the film
Old 01-07-2008, 06:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Be sure to let support know you're having the issue.

On a kind of odd note I've actually created MKV files that did not exhibit this problem during my experiments trying to create files with H.264 video and DTS audio. The files worked but I had problems with SageTV reading the aspect ratio properly and distorting the picture. Kind of odd. My normal movies are created with Handbrake. These DTS files were created with Handbrake then re-muxed with mkvmerge. I'm wondering if it's the fact that Handbrake tags the MKV files with Quicktime compatible aspect ratio data?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've filed a support request and uploaded a sample file for them to play with. They have "fast forwarded" it to a developer :-).

Ben
Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Administrator

BTW: check this new extender FAQ.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
BTW: check this new extender FAQ.

- Andy
Ok, well, that brings up the issue I mentioned earlier. When I take files I've encoded with Handbrake and run them through mkvmerge I can then FF/REW like the FAQ says but SageTV can no longer size them correctly. My files are 720x480 anamorphic 16:9 or 4:3. SageTV displays them correctly when they come straight from Handbrake but not when processed through mkvmerge.

I've checked both files with mkvinfo and they appear to have the same aspect ratio information so I don't understand whey they are displayed incorrectly. The only guess I have is that I know Handbrake does add a special AR atom to it's files so that they will display correctly in Quicktime. I assume when mkvmerge processes one of these files that data is lost.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
This seems to be a bug/feature of mkvmerge that removes some information from the video stream.

before:

+ CodecPrivate, length 45

after:

+ CodecPrivate, length 40

Updated :

It seems you can keep the aspect by adding --engage keep_bitstream_ar_info on the mkvmerge command line.

_Demo_

Last edited by _Demo_; 01-07-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Exclamation

Wow! Looks like that worked. Thank you very much! It's been VERY frustrating!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Now we just need chapter support for MKV files and I'll be completely happy!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Thumbs up

Just a quick update. I added the --engage keep_bitstream_ar_info command-line switch in the mkvmerge gui and ran all my MKV files through it last night. That cleared up the seek problem on each and every one of them. It also preserved the aspect ratio information so they show properly on both my client and HD Extender. So sweet!