SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

nightvision security camera?

Got a baby coming and rather than buying a $400 "baby monitor kit" I thought it would be great if I got a security camera and put it on my LAN. Then if I could get it to input to sageTV, or even as a second input on my TV (so I can do PIP), it would be much more useful. Anyone else have a setup like this? or anything similar?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Sage Icon

What I've come up with so far, for an IP camera...is to have IE open to the camera's home page and use Dynamic Main Menu to launch it.

P
Old 09-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

This is also interesting to me (my first was born 3 weeks ago, and we have a monitor, but I want IP-based capability).

Any camera recommendations? That method of viewing in Sage seems reasonable. What would be even better is a motion activated camera that "pops up" when activated within Sage...
Old 09-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Sage Icon

I would highly suggest a BW analog camera, with no IR.

FYI

I am also CollinR at CCTVForum.com the company I own is Low Voltage Solutions in Tulsa, OK License # 1473.

I'll give you guys the straight dope about the concepts but most just buy into marketing hype.

Do I have an IP cam that I can probably get intergated into SageTV that also has the other requirements for this job? Yes it's a 4 digit number so most run and hide.

It is 1500p though so it'll make your 1080i look like crap.

Alternatively you could use an analog and a web streamer but that'll still add several hundred dollars for little gain.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

After some searching and research, it turns out to be just easier and cheaper to buy a "baby monitor camera". For $150 or so you can get a IR camera, little viewing hand held monitor thingie and it will run over wireless.

Probably not GREAT but it seems cheap and easy. No sage integration but what the heck...
Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Sage Icon

IR goes through your eyelids BTW. Probably not the stuff on cheapy cameras but I have publically argued this with one "baby cam" manufacturer who in the end admitted there was never any testing conducted like that.

Granted I have dealt with 120v halogen power IR emitters, you can make toast with those from across the room. The 750ma baby cams aren't nearly that powerful and so they don't snow blind you instantly.

Like I said, just a plain old black and white is what you want. You can use analog wireless and plug it directly into an extra port on your encoders. Boom now channel 1 is baby cam and you are basically integrated. Not much to basic analog cameras.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Sage User

Collin: If I were wanting to setup one camera to look out the front door (i.e. peep hole camera) and another to look at the back drive way, which one would you suggest? I guess I would need something outdoor rated for the back side of the house. I would like to run the signals into my analog tuner cards like you mentioned above. What kind of expense would I be looking at? I am leaning toward mounting the rear camera on the upstairs stairs soffit to look down over the driveway.