SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Sage User

Question nVidia PureVideo - which version?

I've been using the free trial of the nVidia PureVideo decoder and decided to purchase it. My question is this: Do I need the versions with surround sound decoders if I'm using AC3 filter? I would like to have surround sound out of my system via SPDIF, but do I need the PureVideo audio decoders for that to work? I'm hoping to just buy the video decoder for 20 bucks.
Thanks,
SHANE
Old 08-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshanes View Post
I've been using the free trial of the nVidia PureVideo decoder and decided to purchase it. My question is this: Do I need the versions with surround sound decoders if I'm using AC3 filter?
No, I bought the platinum version or what ever is the highest because I wasn't sure either. Turns out the surround sound features of the platinum version only work inside windows media player anyway. I believe that you can use AC3 filter with S/PDIF with out any problems in the bronze version.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Sage Icon

I bought the platinum version back in '05...even though I was doing S/PDIF to a reveiver. Now, on Vista, I'm using the "In Box" driver (for Room EQ, Phantom 7.1, etc...) and 5(7).1 is working fine. I'm on .223 and don't notice any difference between NV and PDVD codecs...so NV it is because of the adjustability (tray icon).

P
Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 AM
SageTVaholic

The only thing is that Nvidia apparently has no plans to ever update their PureVideo Decoder. The version it's at now will probably be the final. While it will work in Vista it does not quite work as well as it does in XP. It doesn't support EVR while the latest PowerDVD decoder does.

I believe the main reason Nvidia made their decoder is so that their customers could have something to take advantage of PureVideo until all the other decoders came onboard with support. Now that everyone supports PureVideo there's really no reason for them to keep developing it. It actually surprises me that they still sell it since it certainly can't be bringing in that much revenue for them.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Sage Icon

Agree on all points, but Sage doesn't do EVR yet, so in Sage, it's as good as it's ever been. I just like like being able to try different modes (smart, pixel adaptive, etc...) and tweak brightness, color, etc... You're right though, .223 is it. When I can notice a difference with the newer (PDVD) codecs, I'll switch too.

P
Old 08-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshanes View Post
I've been using the free trial of the nVidia PureVideo decoder and decided to purchase it. My question is this: Do I need the versions with surround sound decoders if I'm using AC3 filter? I would like to have surround sound out of my system via SPDIF, but do I need the PureVideo audio decoders for that to work? I'm hoping to just buy the video decoder for 20 bucks.
Thanks,
SHANE
I don't see that anyone has directly answered your question.

Get the $20 version.

If you plan to use AC3 you will not be using any of the audio features of the decoder. If you decide to use the Nvidia filter for your audio, all you need to do is configure it to use a receiver connected via S/PDIF.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

I found a lot of people here talking about PureVideo Platinum so I decided to pull the plug on it and purchase it and sure wish I would have did it sooner.

I was using the default sage tv decoder for mpeg2 playback and coreavc for h.264 playback and always had trouble with sage tv's default decoder losing signal while recording or get artifacts in the videos during recording from my signal strength being low with the default decoders and I have no idea what PureVideo Platinum did but my videos are now crystal clear.

This is with Over the air recordings and not sure if it helps that my pc uses an nvidia card as well but it really worked wonders for me and I would have never tried it if it wasn't for someone in the forums talking about how the drivers helped them too.

By the way I only bought PureVideo Platinum due to wanting all the bells and whistles and like others said if you don't need the sound part of the package then I suggest go with a cheaper version of it.

Had to put my 2 cents in since these decoders are new to me.