SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Nvidia Purevideo and Reclock the holy grail?

Long story short:

I have been using the Cyberlink codecs in my HD client for a long time, with good results, but not great. I was too cheap to spend 20 dollars on the Purevideo codecs because "I already own these codecs, why bother with spending money on them?". Everyone sang its praises, but I was stubborn. It wasn't until I read a thread by Stanger about reclock, I became intrigued and started to think about switching codecs (if you are going to change one, might as well do both).

Last night I found some time and I changed the codecs on both of my full clients and I am happy to say that I have 720P via component on one and DVI/HDMI on the other with no studdering whatsoever. I used to get micro-studders and now I am free of it.

The WAF is higher than ever (she was very found of Sage before thru the MediaMVP's but now is super impressed with the HD quality).

Thanks to Stanger and anyone else who may have mentioned ReClock in the past (I probably just didn't pay attention until recently).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Sage Expert

Ok..I went and "googled" reclock....looks interesting..can you go into more explaination as to what you did and better yet, how I do it?

Please,

Gary Ellis
Old 01-23-2007, 08:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Also, what's the skinny on reclock and AC3/DTS/DD5.1 pass through?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK, let's discuss this. My SageTV setup works extremely well except for a few recordings. When I record "Star Trek: TNG" and "Star Trek: Voyager" episodes off of raw cable, the images stutters regularly. Other recordings look fine, and those recorded on our Digital cable STB look excellent. But it's those two shows where stuttering is apparant. Fortunately, the WAF is high, but I find it annoying. Maybe I should leave well enough alone.

Anyway, I installed ReClock, accepted the default settings setting the Video Setting to "DirectShow". Stuttering seems to be a bit less (maybe) but it's still noticable.

Are there any recommended settings?

Suggestions?

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.

Last edited by jbarr; 01-23-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Update: I guess I was wrong in that "Voyager" was recorded on both raw and the STB end exhibited stutter on both. According to ReClock, the show was a "CINEMA" recording at 24 FPS. Obviously, this will cause stutter if things are trying to play at 30 FPS? I'm trying to get the PureVideo settings optimized, and now, adding ReClock into the mix raises the complexity bar a bit.

One other question: What should SageTV's Audio Renderer be set at? Default or ReClock?

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers
Long story short:

I have been using the Cyberlink codecs in my HD client for a long time, with good results, but not great. I was too cheap to spend 20 dollars on the Purevideo codecs because "I already own these codecs, why bother with spending money on them?". Everyone sang its praises, but I was stubborn. It wasn't until I read a thread by Stanger about reclock, I became intrigued and started to think about switching codecs (if you are going to change one, might as well do both).

Last night I found some time and I changed the codecs on both of my full clients and I am happy to say that I have 720P via component on one and DVI/HDMI on the other with no studdering whatsoever. I used to get micro-studders and now I am free of it.

The WAF is higher than ever (she was very found of Sage before thru the MediaMVP's but now is super impressed with the HD quality).

Thanks to Stanger and anyone else who may have mentioned ReClock in the past (I probably just didn't pay attention until recently).
I'm curious what video card you're using? I have a Radeon x1950pro and seem to get best results with the Cyberlink decoders.

But I was having some stuttering issues with 1080i broadcast HD and Reclock seems to have helped immensely.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
Update: I guess I was wrong in that "Voyager" was recorded on both raw and the STB end exhibited stutter on both. According to ReClock, the show was a "CINEMA" recording at 24 FPS. Obviously, this will cause stutter if things are trying to play at 30 FPS? I'm trying to get the PureVideo settings optimized, and now, adding ReClock into the mix raises the complexity bar a bit.

One other question: What should SageTV's Audio Renderer be set at? Default or ReClock?
Using the Smart deinterlace setting in PureVideo will use inverse telecine to extract the original 24fps film content from 30fps NTSC video. ReClock has to tweak the audio sampling rate slightly to accommodate the slower framerate.

You should use ReClock as the audio renderer.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
I am currrently not using AC3/DTS/DD5.1 pass through so I am not sure how that is with Reclock. I did have a problem last night while watching SDTV with reclock as it was causing sound to skip a fraction of a second of audio. All my HDTV worked fawlessly. I think I just have some tweaking to do, to fix that.

As far as what card, most of my testing has been with my geforce 6600 (I am also using it with my 7300GS, but I don't use that client as much).

I think Stanger explains it well here:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22447
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
On my system, AC3/DTS/DD5.1 pass through continued to work with ReClock installed, with no fuss. It did complain about my video driver though, so I had to set it up to use DirectShow. I think this is because SageTV screws with my video driver in some unknown way.