SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Sage User

Copy DVD's to hard drive question

Hi guys,
This is my first post here. I have SageTv 6.1 and a Hauppauge PVR-350 card is on the way.

While waiting for the card to arrive I've started copying my DVD's to my HDD and I started with The Bob Newhart show and I used DVD Shrink to convert them to .mpg's. All three of these DVD's play perfectly in SageTv's "imported Videos".

But when I try to copy DVD's of the same length from another series with the same settings in DVD Shrink, Sage either won't play them at all or I have to select play twice, even then there is no time showng on the "play bar" and if I try to FF or RR the video goes back to the start. Also, the whole video won't play to the end.

I've tried using a lot of different settings in DVD Shrink and don't know what else to try. Can anyone help me out with this ?

Thx for reading
Old 07-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Sage Expert

You're using DVD Shrink to convert them to .mpgs? Are you sure that's an option? I thought DVD Shrink just did .iso images and folder backups, not .mpg files. Maybe there's a newer version I've never seen.

Why don't you try just ripping them to a folder on your hard drive, then pointing your Sage imported video directories to the parent folder. (ie. you could rip the dvd to c:\DVDs\Newhart and then select c:\DVDs as an import directory within Sage. Under the "Newhart" directory, DVD Shrink should create a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder, with all the files located under VIDEO_TS. No need to convert anything to .mpg.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Sage User

Actually, what I've been doing is use DVD shrink then copy the .VOB file to my videos folder then I change the extension to .mpg there. I should have been more specific.

I did exactly as you suggested and the videos act the same way in STV. (won't play like the newhart do).

Again, the Bob Newhart dvd's work perfectly in STV.

I even tried setting a directory in STV to my DVD drive just to check, and it displays the "wrong region". I just don't understand why some dvd's work perfectly and these won't ???

Thx

Last edited by 73cuda; 07-15-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Sage Expert

Sorry, I'm not sure what to suggest, other than it seems like there's a problem with the rip using DVD Shrink on that disc. (or those discs). How many are causing problems for you? Are you able to play them without a problem using some other dvd playback software?

I've got about 400 dvds ripped using DVD Shrink to folders on my media server, and I don't have a problem using Sage to playback any of them. But then, I've never tried many tv series discs. Are you trying to rip individual episodes, or the entire disc?

I'd just try another ripping program for the discs that are causing a problem and see if that helps. Otherwise, no idea.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Sage User

Thanks for your replies,

It's all 4 of the discs of the other series and they'll play perfectly in WMP and winamp and on all my dvd players.

I've tried individual episodes and the entire disc. I've tried three different programs now and the same for all of them.

I'm just getting ready to try DVDDecryptor, we'll see ???

Thanks and let me know if you can think of anything else please.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm no expert here. However, from what I understand, even though the .VOB file is in essence an MPEG stream it contains enough differences in formatting and header information to throw off MPEG players. While there are some free utilities that can convert .VOB to compliant .MPG streams, the best I have heard of it VideoReDo. It has a quickstream fix mode that will help you.

PS - you would most probably be better served in posting to the DOOM9, AfterDawn or VideoHelp boards for more information along this line.
Extenders: 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-300 on Atlona PRO3HD66m
Sage: V9.0.14.567 with OpenDCT on unRaid docker, Gemstone, BMT, Web UI, PlayOn, TiSage
Old 07-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to wvpolekat Send a message via MSN to wvpolekat
This is exactly how I put DVDs in Sage. What I have found helpful is to change the settings in DVD Shrink to not split VOBs into 2BG files, then I take the one big honkin VOB and rename it to mpg and away I go.

On a rare occasion, I do have to do the quick stream fix thing with VideoReDo. That would be my first step here.

It is possible that whatever you are trying to rip has some copy protection that DVD Shrink doesn't like.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Sage User

MacDaddy, The VideoReDo quickstream fix does it !
STV now plays the recordings perfectly. I use DVD Shrink to transfer episodes to my HDD and then use quickstream fix and save the episodes in a folder that STV uses.

Is there a way to quickstream several episodes (VTS 1.VOB to VTS 8.VOB) one after another automatically ? (and still keep them seperate)

And I'll check out the other sites too.

Thanks everyone
Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 AM
Sage Icon

Check out the Batch Manager feature in VRD...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 07-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73cuda View Post
MacDaddy, The VideoReDo quickstream fix does it !
STV now plays the recordings perfectly. I use DVD Shrink to transfer episodes to my HDD and then use quickstream fix and save the episodes in a folder that STV uses.

Is there a way to quickstream several episodes (VTS 1.VOB to VTS 8.VOB) one after another automatically ? (and still keep them seperate)

And I'll check out the other sites too.

Thanks everyone
VideoReDo has a rather extensive command line and COM interface. I think I have an old windows script at home that can start at the top of a directory chain, search for .VOB and convert to .MPG at the same directory level as the VIDEO_TS. When I finish at the salt mine today and return home to my computer, I'll post it.
Sage: V9.0.14.567 with OpenDCT on unRaid docker, Gemstone, BMT, Web UI, PlayOn, TiSage
Old 07-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Here is a vb script that I hacked together for my own problem. It will ask for the root directory for your source .VOB files and a destination directory to place the converted .MPG files. You can edit with notepad if you're curious to the code. It will call VideoReDo through the COM interface and is hardwired to select the E0 (hex) video program stream and 80 (hex) audio program stream. For multiple language/format material, I found that (so far) these program streams will get you the 16:9 video stream with the Dolby 5.1 english audio. Feel free to change to your needs.

PS - remember to take the .TXT off the end of the file name to run it with WSH.
Attached Files
File Type: txt VOB2MPG.vbs.txt (5.0 KB, 413 views)
Old 07-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Sage User

rickgillyon, thanks, the batch command seems to work.

MacDaddy, thanks for your time finding and posting that, I'll check it out. It may be over my head a bit though.

I've got another question, I installed the PVR-350 card and sw today and I've never had so many problems with any sw or hardware before. I installed it on my Gateway PC dual core with XP media center and for the first time in over a year of using this pc with absolutely no problems, now this pvr-350 card has caused my pc to freeze and other irritating problems.

Anyway, the main reason for this setup is for use as a video server to my tv using the output feature of the 350. I do not get any audio on the output using STV but I do get it using only the wintv tuner. I've searched and haven't found how to fix this. If I run the audio from the output of the pc's audio card the audio lags behind the video.

I'm thinking I bought a piece of junk and will send it back, I need a recomendation for a card with a/v out that works well with sage please.

Maybe I should've started a new thread for this ???

Thank you all
Old 07-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73cuda View Post
Anyway, the main reason for this setup is for use as a video server to my tv using the output feature of the 350.
This is now an old card and the output on the 350 is well-known for its problems, plus it's mpeg-only (no divx, online vids etc.).

If you're sticking with the 350, make sure you have the latest drivers from Hauppauge's site, and for video out you are far better using the TV-Out of your video card if it has one, or putting in a decent video card if not...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Old 07-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Sage User

I wish I had searched and posted here before ordering the 350.

I'd like to use a good video card for the tv out but how can I have remote control also ?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Sage Icon

Separate issues. You can use a 350, 150, 500 etc. for blasting as well as capture, just don't use the video out on the 350...
Old 07-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Sage User

Ok thanks, but I've already packed the 350 back up and I'm returning it because the video out was the main reason I got it. So I'm looking for a new quality video card with video out on it now. That's what I should have done to start with as the capture aspect isn't needed at this time.

I'm using a SVGA to S-VIDEO and COMPOSITE converter I forgot I had until I get a new card. And I'm going to order a USB-UIRT if I can find a supplier with one in stock.

And MacDaddy, Thanks very much again for the VRD suggestion !