SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Hard drive failing?

I've never had any problems with Sage before, but after installing v6 I've had constant problems. I assumed it was the new beta, but now I'm losing my D drive. It just disappears from windows. Checking the smart status it appears fine and when it is visible to windows all of the shows play ok. When I reboot the drive shows up and works for awhile then eventually disappears again.

I've gotten 4 BSODs in the last 12 hours. Does this sound like a drive failing, ide controller, or something else?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Sage Icon

I would run the drive diagnostic software of whatever manufacturer makes the drive and see if it gets any errors.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:58 AM
SageTVaholic

I had a similar problem and mine finally died completely to where it wasn't recognized by the bios and the diagnostic software couldn't find it - but no smart warnings. Luckily it was only 4 months old so was easy to get a replacement from manufacture. Anyway I think the smart status is only about 50% effective. I've had an equal number of drives just fail - no warning at all - as compared to the other half that actually gave me a smart warning. I think you should think of the smart warnings in the same way an idiot light in your vehicle works - last minute only.

BobP.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks guys, but I think I may have found the problem.

I only noticed the one drive down because it is a recording drive. I also have an ancient 10 gig drive as the slave on the same channel. I use it to store downloaded programs like Sage, Dirmon2, etc... so that I don't have to re-download them when I reinstall.

It was also disappearing, so I removed it and am going to see if that takes care of the problem. I hope the old drive was dying and causing both drives on the ide channel to crap out. I sure hope I don't have to replace one of my main recording drives at this time of the tv season because it is full of new shows I haven't watched yet.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

I actually just had a the same issue a few weeks ago. I was losing my 200gb secondary drive every once in a while. My fix generally required a full power cycle though, not just a reboot. I finally traced it back to it being a problem with the PSU so I replaced it and haven't had the problem again... yet
Old 10-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Sage Icon

Are these drives SATA? The standard SATA cables were terrible in my machine...the power cable would lose it's connection and the drive would dissappear. I ended up masking taping the cables to the floor of the case...exerting downward pressure...to "fix" the problem. I just recently upgraded to dual 500 Gig WD drives, and the "Secure Connect" cables are nice. They work in conjunction with a standard 4 pin Molex power connector.

P
Old 10-19-2006, 01:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Echoing the previous: it's possible that it is one of the cables or the motherboard. Don't blame the drive too quickly! Good luck.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

All of my drives are the old PATA.

My server has been running for over 24 hours now without a hitch since disconnecting the antique 10 gig drive. I never thought about one drive bringing another on the same channel to its knees, but I guess it somehow did.

I don't think it is a power issue. My voltage is pretty good and all the connections seem tight.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I never thought about one drive bringing another on the same channel to its knees, but I guess it somehow did.
Back when 200MB hard drives were huge and NT was a beta I had problems when I connected a Maxtor and a Western Digital on the same cable (actually the only channel at the time). Individually they worked fine but not together. Had the same problem with 2 Maxtors of different models unless a specific one was the master - the other drive didn't care. But I haven't seen anything like this in a long time.

BobP.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
Back when 200MB hard drives were huge and NT was a beta I had problems when I connected a Maxtor and a Western Digital on the same cable (actually the only channel at the time). Individually they worked fine but not together. Had the same problem with 2 Maxtors of different models unless a specific one was the master - the other drive didn't care. But I haven't seen anything like this in a long time.

BobP.
Just goes to show there are still strange things that happen from time to time.

Mine worked perfectly together for almost 2 weeks. I'm going to try the drive in a different machine just to be sure it is dying and not some odd incompatibility issue.